[comp.sys.amiga] BYTE still toothless

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (09/27/90)

	We got our October BYTE the other day, and it had even less Amiga
oriented articles than the previous issue. If there is a change coming, I
haven't seen it yet.

	Can't these magazines understand that x*(computer_type) where
x>amigas_sold does NOT mean that more of that readers will read the magazine
than Amiga owners? Many Macs are owned by schools and corporations, and this
is even more true for IBM machines, where I would be willing to believe over
HALF of the PC's out there are used for business rather than a personal
computer.
	In my experience corporations do not usually purchase magazines,
other than maybe a single subscription per building. For PC clones, there are
MUCH better magazines that deal specifically with PC's, and all the
companies I visited as a consultant ALL had subscriptions to PC Week and
PC magazine, while only ONE had a subscription to BYTE. I have a hard time
beleiving that people who use a computer at work, and do not own one at
home would subscribe to ANY computer magazine out of their own pocket, and
I doubt very much whether any DP department gives subscriptions to the
secretarial pool.
	In short, I would be willing to bet that people who own Amiga's
are more likely to buy a general computer magazine such as BYTE than the
average PC or Mac user, since almost all people who use Amiga's must
have at least SOME interest in computing itself, or they would have stuck
with an annonymous PC or a brainless Mac.

dogar@motcid.UUCP (Haroon H. Dogar) (09/28/90)

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:

>	We got our October BYTE the other day, and it had even less Amiga
>oriented articles than the previous issue. If there is a change coming, I
>haven't seen it yet.

>	In short, I would be willing to bet that people who own Amiga's
>are more likely to buy a general computer magazine such as BYTE than the
>average PC or Mac user, since almost all people who use Amiga's must
>have at least SOME interest in computing itself, or they would have stuck
>with an annonymous PC or a brainless Mac.

My guess is that article content is determined not so
much by the total number of people that will read the magazine, but by the
number of people reading the magazine that are of the audience targeted by the
magazine's advertisers. By this, I mean that there are far fewer mail-order
houses for Amigas (especially now) or Amiga-related products. Meanwhile,
Byte can probably safely assume that some of us who don't own PCs will also
read the magazine for its series of articles on object-oriented programming
and to see what the trends are for the future in terms of GUIs, headset monitors,
input devices such as the data glove, virtual reality, neural networks,.......

-hd