[comp.sys.amiga] ARexx info needed.

kay@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (09/24/90)

I'd like to know where I can get more information on writing ARexx
scripts.  I'm new to the Amiga and would appreciate any info.
Please E-mail responses to me.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Banning
banning@iccgcc.pc.ab.com

boily@phy.ulaval.ca (Edouard Boily) (09/25/90)

Bob Banning wrote

> I'd like to know where I can get more information on writing ARexx
> scripts.  I'm new to the Amiga and would appreciate any info.
> Please E-mail responses to me.

	There is an excellent Rexx tutorial guide called "System
Product Interpreter User's Guide" from the "Virtual Machine/System
Product" collection, edited for the IBM mainframes.  This manual was
written for the original Rexx environment so it defines the standard
and ARexx conforms quite well to it.

	I have the second edition (Feb 1984) and the number is
"SC24-5238-1".  There is an address written in there where you can
have information (back in 84, I don't know for 1990!).  Anyway, the
address is:	IBM Programming Publications
		Department G60,
		P.O. Box 6,
		Endicott, N.Y.
		U.S.A.
		13760

	This address might not be valid.

	The other source of tutorial information I know is looking at
other's people script.  It is not very elegant but it is efficient.

	I hope this help!

						Edouard
.---------------------------------------------------------.
| boily@phy.ulaval.ca             1150055@LAVALVX1.bitnet |
| Edouard Boily  | Projects: AmiGraph, AmigIRAF, A.I.R.P. |
| Physic's Dept. | Interests: Astronomy, Comp. Sciences   |
| Laval Univ.    | Work: On my Ph. D.            _ //     |
| Quebec, CANADA | Citation: "Not yet!"          \X/      |
`---------------------------------------------------------'

DEMOLC@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Anjin_San) (09/26/90)

G'day,

In article <31443@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, boily@phy.ulaval.ca (Edouard Boily)
writes:
> Bob Banning wrote
>
>> I'd like to know where I can get more information on writing ARexx
>> scripts.  I'm new to the Amiga and would appreciate any info.
>> Please E-mail responses to me.

[...Edouard's good info deleted, to prevent duplication...]

There is a newsgroup comp.lang.rexx I believe. There are discussions there
regarding many versions of Rexx -- including ARexx.

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo.

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (09/29/90)

>In article <31443@nigel.ee.udel.edu> boily@phy.ulaval.ca (Edouard Boily) writes:
>Bob Banning wrote
>
>> I'd like to know where I can get more information on writing ARexx
>> scripts.  I'm new to the Amiga and would appreciate any info.
>> Please E-mail responses to me.
>
>       There is an excellent Rexx tutorial guide called "System
>Product Interpreter User's Guide" from the "Virtual Machine/System
>Product" collection, edited for the IBM mainframes.  This manual was
>written for the original Rexx environment so it defines the standard
>and ARexx conforms quite well to it.
>
>       I have the second edition (Feb 1984) and the number is
>"SC24-5238-1".  There is an address written in there where you can
>have information (back in 84, I don't know for 1990!).  Anyway, the
>address is: ....

There are two IBM REXX manuals:

   Virtual Machine/System Product System Product Interpreter User's Guide Release 6
   SC24-5238 (mine, 5th edition - July 1988, is revision 04)

   Virtual Machine/System Product System product Interpreter Reference Release 5
   SC24-5239 (mine, 3rd edition - December 1986, is revision 2)

There are probably newer versions of these manuals. IBM also has REXX out
for TSO/MVS so I would imagine there are reference manuals for that
version also.

As far as ordering them, my manuals say:
"...Requests for copies of IBM publications should be made to your IBM
 representative or to the IBM branch office serving your locality."

They say that you cant order manuals from the Endicot NY address.

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic