[comp.sys.amiga] Shakespeare??

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (09/14/90)

Back a couple of years ago, there was a desktop publishing  pack-
age  called Shakespeare.  Has anyone used it, or does anyone know
what happened to it?  I'm looking for  a  decent  way  to  output
Postscript  documents  from  my Amiga so that I can print them on
our shiny new LaserJet III with Postscript at work.

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga      /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (if only Commodore ///  *
*                              *   knew that)   \\\///   *
*                              *                 \XX/    *

QUIT

jmeissen@ogicse.ogi.edu (John Meissen) (09/14/90)

In article <9009132252.AA13551@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca> tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:
>Back a couple of years ago, there was a desktop publishing  pack-
>age  called Shakespeare.  Has anyone used it, or does anyone know
>what happened to it?

Shakespeare is an orphaned product, and the manufacturer (I forget
who, now) is defunct. I got stuck with a copy....I can't get the
simplest operations to work without GURU'ing.

--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (09/15/90)

In article <12147@ogicse.ogi.edu> jmeissen@ogicse.ogi.edu (John Meissen) writes:
   In article <9009132252.AA13551@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca> tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:
   >Back a couple of years ago, there was a desktop publishing  pack-
   >age  called Shakespeare.  Has anyone used it, or does anyone know
   >what happened to it?

   Shakespeare is an orphaned product, and the manufacturer (I forget
   who, now) is defunct. I got stuck with a copy....I can't get the
   simplest operations to work without GURU'ing.

The company was Infinity Software. Shakespeare pretty much killed
them, and it never was very reliable. If you really want a copy, send
me mail and we'll discuss a price for my copy.

In answer to the original question (postcript output on the Amiga), at
least one of the desktop publishing packages that still exist can be
told to output postscript. ProPage, maybe? I'm not sure, but someone
here or at your local dealer should know.

	<mike
--
How many times do you have to fall			Mike Meyer
While people stand there gawking?			mwm@relay.pa.dec.com

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (09/16/90)

In article <9009132252.AA13551@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca> tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:
>Back a couple of years ago, there was a desktop publishing  pack-
>age  called Shakespeare.  Has anyone used it, or does anyone know
>what happened to it?  I'm looking for  a  decent  way  to  output
>Postscript  documents  from  my Amiga so that I can print them on
>our shiny new LaserJet III with Postscript at work.

Shakespeare was supposed to be the flagship product of Infinity Software, but
bad planning, "dynamic specs", a haphazard development process and impatient
investors killed it. Version 1.0 was essentially still a Beta version and was
shipped due to investor demands, 1.1 was what a 1.0 product typically is,
quite usable once you learn how to work around the bugs. It was clearly
an example of how not to develop a product.

Shakespeare killed off Infinity, and took most of my Galileo royalties with
it. Although 1.1 I think was a fairly good product, with damned good
color output. The source code was straight from hell, since a total of
12 people hacked away on what was supposed to be a 1 man project.

Don't know anything about the postscript support.

Mike "survivor of the original Shakespeare debugging team" Smithwick

                                       >> mike smithwick <<

Any opinions are my own since nobody else would ever want them.

"Colonize Cyberspace!"

ewhac@well.sf.ca.us (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep15.222748.10412@nas.nasa.gov> smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) writes:
>The source code was straight from hell, since a total of
>		     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>12 people hacked away on what was supposed to be a 1 man project.

	...Except for the bit I wrote, of course.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac
	 "Because you never know who might want to sit in your lap."

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (09/30/90)

In article <20792@well.sf.ca.us> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
<In article <1990Sep15.222748.10412@nas.nasa.gov> smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) writes:
<>The source code was straight from hell, since a total of
<>		     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<>12 people hacked away on what was supposed to be a 1 man project.
<>
<	...Except for the bit I wrote, of course.
<
<Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

Yes! Sorry Leo. Your code was very good, and I mean that (except for a
couple of gotos). I did have to un-comment a line which was preceded by
a comment saying "Warning : remove before flight" or some such thing.

The rest of the code could serve as an object lesson to software management
types of the result of the "to many cooks" syndrome. "Well, if they say
one guy can get the program done in a year, then 52 guys oughtta get it
done in 1 week!"

mike