[comp.sys.amiga] Citizen GSX-140 printer trouble

rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) (09/25/90)

I have a Citizen GSX-140 printer and use Excellence! often.  The problem I
have is that the printer does not interpret the vertical margin settings
from Excellence!  I found, by trial and error, that I need to format my
documents on screen first and then adjust the margins by subtracting .5 inch
from the top and adding .5 inch to the bottom.  Otherwise, the printer ends
up sending the output too low ('bout .5 inch).  I figure there is probably
some setting on my printer I can use to fix it, but so far I haven't found
anything in the manual.

Is there anyone out there who also has a Citizen GSX-140 printer and uses
Excellence?  If so, how have you worked around this (assuming you have this
"feature")?

Thanx in advance,

Agitator
  #->

--
   "Caltech -- A Division of     rolee@jarthur.claremont.edu  //  InterNet
       Harvey Mudd"              rolee@hmcvax.bitnet         //   BITNET

gerber@buzzer.enet.dec.com (Robert M. Gerber) (09/27/90)

In article <8642@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU
(Profess'nal Agitator) writes:
|> I have a Citizen GSX-140 printer and use Excellence! often.  The problem I
|> have is that the printer does not interpret the vertical margin settings
|> from Excellence!  I found, by trial and error, that I need to format my
|> documents on screen first and then adjust the margins by subtracting .5 inch
|> from the top and adding .5 inch to the bottom.  Otherwise, the printer ends
|> up sending the output too low ('bout .5 inch).  I figure there is probably
|> some setting on my printer I can use to fix it, but so far I haven't found
|> anything in the manual.

I have one of these also, and had a similar problem.  The fix is in the
adjustment to TOP OF FORM.   Lokk it up in the Index of the printer manual.
(Mine is not handy.)  The adjustment is very easy and is actually needed for
most programs....
---------
Robert M. Gerber		  UUCP:	...!decwrl!oldjon.enet!gerber
				  INET:	gerber@oldjon.enet.dec.com

Any opinions represented here are definetly not those of my employer.
Come to think of it, they may not be mine either!

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (10/01/90)

In article <8642@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) writes:
>I have a Citizen GSX-140 printer and use Excellence! often.

I have the same printer, but use ProWrite.

Would any kind soul let me know a good printer driver for it (PD or Commercial).
The Epson Q doesn't seem to support 360x360dpi, at least the driver/ProWrite
combo does not...
Also, I would like to be able to use the color option on it.

advTHANKSance

David Navas                                   navas@sim.berkeley.edu
"Excuse my ignorance, but I've been run over by my train of thought."  -me

gerber@buzzer.enet.dec.com (Robert M. Gerber) (10/01/90)

In article <28353@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C.
Navas) writes:
|> In article <8642@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU
(Profess'nal Agitator) writes:
|> >I have a Citizen GSX-140 printer and use Excellence! often.
|>
|> I have the same printer, but use ProWrite.
|>
|> Would any kind soul let me know a good printer driver for it (PD or
Commercial).
|> The Epson Q doesn't seem to support 360x360dpi, at least the driver/ProWrite
|> combo does not...
|> Also, I would like to be able to use the color option on it.
|>
|> advTHANKSance
|>
|> David Navas                                   navas@sim.berkeley.edu
|> "Excuse my ignorance, but I've been run over by my train of thought."  -me

	The Epson Q driver does support color (Very well at that)  you just have
to have your preferences set up properly for color (as well as the printer.)

	As for the density problem, check the 1.3 Enhancer manual...I beleive it
does support it, however, the printer can only really print 180 dpi across.  The
higher resolution has the dots overlapping.  360 dpi is only good for certain
graphics operations.

	I also have ProWrite and a GSX-140.  I don't quite see what benefit 360x360 dpi
will give in this case....
---------

wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) (10/02/90)

>In article <28353@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) writes:
>Would any kind soul let me know a good printer driver for it (PD or Commercial).
>The Epson Q doesn't seem to support 360x360dpi, at least the driver/ProWrite
>combo does not...

I have written an epson 360*360 printer driver. This one is
faster, has more features and there's also a 68020/30 version.
With this message you should receive this driver via email.

I don't have any FTP access, so those in need for this driver drop
me a note and I'll send you the package (or somebody with FTP...).
I'm also working on a printer driver package for Star, Oki, Nec,
Seikosha, EpsonLQ with major(!) speed improvements.  Should be
available realy soon...

>Also, I would like to be able to use the color option on it.

Hmmm... this Epson driver does color but this has never been
tested (somebody out there with an LQ860 ???)

>David Navas                                   navas@sim.berkeley.edu

--
Wolf Faust    UUCP: wfaust%venus%cbmger%cbmehq@cbmvax,commodore.com
Tel: (+49)69 5486556(voice)      FIDO: 2:243/43.5