[comp.sys.amiga] THANK YOU!!!!

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (09/22/90)

Finally, a package I can really USE!!! :')

What you just described sounded awesome.  Thank you for the information, it
sounds like JUST the package I need.

I agree, frame-by-frame editing would have been possible (it would have been
possible on a 1MB A500) RAM-wise...but not usefull for what we needed.  The
way the animation was setup, VS3D generated color wireframes which represented
the boundries of the objects, grass, road, a fence, etc.  Then, we were to use
the animated fill option in DPaint3 to go in and fill the road with a pebbly
texture, a ditch with a graduated fill, grass, etc.  Ok, this would have been
fine going frame-by-frame.  BUT, we also had to go in and add other effects
like dust (it was a collechee (sp) road) and tire-marks.  This would have been
possible without it being loaded completely, but so tedious that Clayton and I
would be in the funny-farm afterwards.  Also, the expert witness kept jerking
around changing sections of the animation...he didn't realize how much this
effected the production cycle, and we were already on a tight time-table.
Even up to the day I called to say "sorry..." he didn't know exactly what he
wanted.  So, from now on, we're going to make sure our clients give us FIRM
specs on what they need BEFORE any part of the production starts.

I've rambled enough...thanks again for the info.  Hopefully I'll be able to
get the cash together to get me JMan SOON.

Sean

PS> Someone can only purchase JMan from HASH direct, correct?

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

baer@qiclab.uucp (Ken Baer) (09/25/90)

In article <4565@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>PS> Someone can only purchase JMan from HASH direct, correct?

Currently, Animation:Journeyman is available only direct from us.  Also,
you must have a 68020 or 68030 with a math chip to run JMan.  The realtime
spline manipulation needs the speed.  Believe me, I did some debugging
of the early Beta version compiled for my 68000, and it was close to
unusable.  Anyway, anyone who is serious about 3D animation had better
have a 68030 already.

--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER

menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) (09/26/90)

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>Finally, a package I can really USE!!! :')
>
>Sean
>
>PS> Someone can only purchase JMan from HASH direct, correct?

	If this is the case, and i understand it is, i hope that
	companies that choose to market this way, make some sort
	of non-saving or non-rendering demo version availiable.
	Maybe on the PD or directly through them . I wouldn't
	buy anything at that price without seeing it .

steve

--
Stephen Menzies
Email: menzies@CAM.ORG

baer@qiclab.uucp (Ken Baer) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep25.184520.13823@CAM.ORG> menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen
Menzies) writes:
>seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>>PS> Someone can only purchase JMan from HASH direct, correct?  >
>	If this is the case, and i understand it is, i hope that
>	companies that choose to market this way, make some sort
>	of non-saving or non-rendering demo version availiable.
>	Maybe on the PD or directly through them . I wouldn't
>	buy anything at that price without seeing it .
>-- >Stephen Menzies >Email: menzies@CAM.ORG

I agree that we need to distribute a crippled demo version of Journeyman.
We have talked about it, but haven't had time to make one yet, we've
been concentrating on the V1.1 upgrade.  One problem with making a demo
version is that Journeyman is not one executable, but rather several
executable modules (Sculpture, Character, Action, Direction, and Render).
In addition, we would need to include some segments, characters and
actions to demonstrate what the software does.  Character and Action
might not make much sense as a demo.  We might just make demo versions
of Sculpure (the object modeler) and Direction (the choreographer).
What's more important for you to play with, the modeler or the choreographer?
The spline technology exists in both (one for 3D shapes, the other for
3D motion paths).

Journeyman is compiled for the '020 or '030 because the realtime spline
manipulation needs the math chip and the speed, so the demo would be too.
Also, it would be pretty big.  The Journeyman executables won't fit on
one disk.  But a demo version would only use one or two of them.

I will definately look into making a demo version of JMan.  One reason we
haven't done one, was that we wanted to eliminate the inevitable 1.0 bugs
before destributing a demo to all corners of the universe.  I will certainly
let you know when a demo version is available.  I would post it to
PeopleLink and Genie.  Thanks for the interest.
	-Ken Baer.
	Hash Enterprises

--

menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) (10/01/90)

baer@qiclab.uucp (Ken Baer) writes:

>In article <1990Sep25.184520.13823@CAM.ORG> menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen
>Menzies) writes:
>>	If this is the case, and i understand it is, i hope that
>>	companies that choose to market this way, make some sort
>>	of non-saving or non-rendering demo version availiable.
>>	Maybe on the PD or directly through them . I wouldn't
>>	buy anything at that price without seeing it .
>>-- >Stephen Menzies >Email: menzies@CAM.ORG

>I agree that we need to distribute a crippled demo version of Journeyman.

>What's more important for you to play with, the modeler or the choreographer?
>The spline technology exists in both (one for 3D shapes, the other for
>3D motion paths).

	Speaking for myself, i would say the choreographer.
	It would be nice to have some technical details and
	a complete list of features along with some demo
	rendering and/or animation when you do distribute a
	demo version of Jman.

>I will definately look into making a demo version of JMan.  One reason we
>haven't done one, was that we wanted to eliminate the inevitable 1.0 bugs
>before destributing a demo to all corners of the universe.  I will certainly
>let you know when a demo version is available.  I would post it to
>PeopleLink and Genie.  Thanks for the interest.
>	-Ken Baer.
>	Hash Enterprises

>    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
>  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER
>	  "These new tax forms really aren't much easier" -- Mighty Mouse.

 	Thanks for your response.
-steve

--
Stephen Menzies
Email: menzies@CAM.ORG

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (10/02/90)

Whoa...how'd his statement get mixed up with mine Ken?

I've already placed my order...HE'S the skeptic :')

Sean

PS> If things go right, I should be getting my RAM on Wed.  It'll only be 4Mb,
but enough to get started.

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil |     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                | Dual A3000 based, custom
                                Help keep the  |    computer graphics,
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham    competition // | animation, presentation,
      Voice: (512) 994-1602         under \X/  |  simulation,  accident-
                                               |  scene re-creation, and
  ...better life through creative computing... |   recreation...(whew!)