[comp.sys.amiga] 040 can caches

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (10/02/90)

Well, now that NeXT and HP have "unveiled" their 040 boxes, I'm wondering
how long it will take for other comapnies to do the same (ie, Apple
and Commodore).  It seems painfully apparent to me that many people
don't realize that the 040 isn't really out yet.  I think that NeXT and
HP have tried to put one over on the computer community.

Anyhow, I was wondering what sort of 040 stuff is going to be hitting
the Amiga market.  I certainly want to upgrade my 2500/30 to an 040
and I'm certain that many 3000 owners have that in mind as well.
I know that several manufaturers are working on 040 boards, I'm
just curious about release dates and features.

Wish list for an 040 board:

-sockets for SIMMs so you can add up to 32 MB on 040 board
-support for various types of SIMMs (1 MB, 4 MB, 16 MB)
-support for various types of memory (static, etc)
-decent size external cache (larger than the 8Kx2):  32 K (?)
-support for user upgradable cache
-support for memory daughterboard (may not be necessary with 32 MB 8-)
-crystal socketed (so you can pull it out and bump it up to 28 MHz)
-probably many things I've missed here.

				See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin		| "You mean THE Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
536 South Forest	|
Apartment 915		| "No.  Haven't you heard, I come in six packs!"
Ann Arbor, MI 48104	|
(313) 662-4805

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Oct1.200547.20059@zip.eecs.umich.edu> gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Well, now that NeXT and HP have "unveiled" their 040 boxes, I'm wondering
>how long it will take for other comapnies to do the same (ie, Apple
>and Commodore).  It seems painfully apparent to me that many people
>don't realize that the 040 isn't really out yet.  I think that NeXT and
>HP have tried to put one over on the computer community.

Obligatory Disclaimer: I am not Hewlett-Packard, nor do I even speak
for them, nor am I Motorola, nor do I make product announcements, nor
do I watch "Roseanne".

That's not a fair statement against either company.  NeXT seems to have
announced realistic times for delivery.  H.P. jumped the gun a bit on
announcing availability, choosing to believe the (as it turned out,
optimistic) quotes from Motorola as to '040 availability.  We've been
basically ready for quite some time.  On the other hand, it's a complex
chip and I credit Motorola (and all their Alpha sites :-) for beating
on it to get it right before officially shipping.  Intel's record is a
bit spottier with the 80x86 family, I believe (moot point, I know).

>I know that several manufaturers are working on 040 boards, I'm
>just curious about release dates and features.

My own "gut-feel" is to expect the vaporware to condense around December.
Don't quote me (read the disclaimer).
--
   >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<<     | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
"Spontaneous human combustion - what luck!"| Apollo Computer (Hewlett-Packard)