[comp.sys.amiga] New 64 emulator?

anderson@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) (09/25/90)

Last night I spotted a new (shareware) product on GEnie: a multitasking
C64 emulator for the Amiga.  Before I download it from GEnie, does anyone
know of its availability on an FTP archive?  Also, has anyone used
this tool?  It was called something like A64Project and (I think) the
download number on GEnie was #9155.  Email or post here - but please,
any badmouthing of the '64, or criticisms about this being a lame use
of the Amiga  > /dev/null.

	Shalom,
		Joel
"We know only the strong will survive, But the meek will inherit.
 So if you've got a coat of arms, oh friend, I suggest we wear it."
					John Mellencamp.
  joel.anderson@StPaul.NCR.COM   |WELL:  jpa@well.sf.ca.us
     Joel Peter Anderson         |GEnie: J.ANDERSON71 (I think)
  NCR Comten / Software engineer |PNET: jpa@pnet51.cts.com

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (09/26/90)

There's one MAJOR flaw with the A64Project.  It checks for the presence
of an MC68000 and won't run on anything else.  Besides this big fault
for all us 010/020/030 users, it looks to be pretty complete.
--
John  M.  Adams    --**--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///

arc@desire.wright.edu (09/26/90)

In article <603@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM>, anderson@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) writes:
> Keywords:GEnie, multitask, shareware
>
> Last night I spotted a new (shareware) product on GEnie: a multitasking
> C64 emulator for the Amiga.  Before I download it from GEnie, does anyone
> know of its availability on an FTP archive?  Also, has anyone used
> this tool?  It was called something like A64Project and (I think) the
> download number on GEnie was #9155.  Email or post here - but please,
> any badmouthing of the '64, or criticisms about this being a lame use
> of the Amiga  > /dev/null.
>
> 	Shalom,
> 		Joel
> "We know only the strong will survive, But the meek will inherit.
>  So if you've got a coat of arms, oh friend, I suggest we wear it."
> 					John Mellencamp.
>   joel.anderson@StPaul.NCR.COM   |WELL:  jpa@well.sf.ca.us
>      Joel Peter Anderson         |GEnie: J.ANDERSON71 (I think)
>   NCR Comten / Software engineer |PNET: jpa@pnet51.cts.com

   I could FTP that new Shareware 64 emulator to abcfd20 if you wish.  It was
done by a programmer of one of the other copyrighted 64 emulators out there...
Probably an attempt to get back at a software manufacturer (sp) or something.
Someone tell me if they want me to FTP it to abcfd20 (new Xanth)

=    ///           | Jim Perry                 | Arc@Desire.Wright.edu =
=   /// Amiga!     | ^Communications Consultant|         -or-          =
= \XX/ The One     | Arc Electronics, Inc.     |    Arc@WSU.BITNET     =
= ____& Only...    | Wright State University   |"Ouch! Quit-it." - Bart=
=                  | Dayton, Ohio              |  Frank Sinatra Rules  =

evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) (09/26/90)

From article <603@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM>, by anderson@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson):
> Last night I spotted a new (shareware) product on GEnie: a multitasking
> C64 emulator for the Amiga.

  Just a quick note.  I downloaded the A64Project about a 2 weeks ago from
  GEnie and from what I can get to run on my A1000, it looks great (for
  $25 you can even get a hardware interface from the author of the program!)
  Only one major problem came up... I really was hoping it would run on my
  A3000... No go with the version in the LZH file on GEnie.  You have to
  send to the author of the program for a version that works on ANYTHING
  other than a 68000.  They do say that there are versions for the accelerated
  machines and that the perform VERY well :-).

_______________     /        /                    /  | uunet!sdrc!evtracy
   /    (___    _  /_       /_          _   __   /_/ | evtracy@SDRC.UU.NET
  / .  _____)__(__/ /__/_/_/ /__/_/_/__(/__/ (__/ \  +---------------------
     Structural Dynamics Research Corporation (SDRC) - Milford, Ohio

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (09/26/90)

In article <603@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> anderson@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) writes:
>Last night I spotted a new (shareware) product on GEnie: a multitasking
>C64 emulator for the Amiga.  Before I download it from GEnie, does anyone
>know of its availability on an FTP archive?  Also, has anyone used
>this tool?  It was called something like A64Project and (I think) the
>download number on GEnie was #9155.  Email or post here - but please,
>any badmouthing of the '64, or criticisms about this being a lame use
>of the Amiga  > /dev/null.

	I got this program off of People Link several days ago. It is called
'A64V100.wrp' & was done by one of the authors of Go64. I ran it for a short
time & am impressed with what he has put into a shareware program. It is much
better than eithor of the other 2 competing commercial programs. What
surprised me is that if you send in the $25 registration fee he will send you
a hardware interface that will allow the C64 peripherals to be connected to
Ami via the parallel port. I'm sure the interface is fairly simple, but I would
be hard pressed to buy the parts to make a simple interface for less than
$10 to $15, so he is almost giving the program away.
    I printed the docs & read them yesterday. Very impressive. I wish most
commercial programs would go to this trouble. Lots of options with a special
preferences program that can be called from within the C64 emulation. It even
has software to read the C64 roms and install them in the software for those
programs that jump to locations in the rom. Also lots of software to copy C64
programs & move them to Ami. seems it can also use Ami's disks as C64 disks
(but I am not sure on that yet).
   This may not impress many Amiga owners, but I am sure it will be a boon to
many of the former owners of C64s who have upgraded & need help being weened
from the C64.
   According to the docs he is not finished with the program yet & wants to
add lots of other features. He should be encouraged, he does very good work.

| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|

hgschmie@faui41.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Henning Schmiedehausen) (09/27/90)

In <1294.27002525@desire.wright.edu> arc@desire.wright.edu writes:

>   I could FTP that new Shareware 64 emulator to abcfd20 if you wish.  It was
>done by a programmer of one of the other copyrighted 64 emulators out there...
>Probably an attempt to get back at a software manufacturer (sp) or something.
>Someone tell me if they want me to FTP it to abcfd20 (new Xanth)

Yes! I want you to post it to abcfd20. Over here in europe it's
just not possible to get something from somewhere else but
New Xanth (...or is this a problem of our ftp ?...)
Anyway, would be great, if you post it to N.X.

+-------------------------------------------+--------------------+
| hgschmie@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de| Space is big,      |
| hgschmie@faui41.informatik.uni-erlangen.de| Space is dark,     |
| (Henning Schmiedehausen, Glueckstrasse 3  | it's hard to find  |
| 8520 Erlangen, West Germany, 09131/209611)| a place to park    |
+-------------------------------------------+--------------------+

jdutka@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Dutka) (09/27/90)

If it's PD, YES!  Please DO ftp over the C64 emulator...

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "Hey, baby - wanna do some HEAT TRANSFER?           |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  Heh, heh, heh!"                                    |

tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca (09/27/90)

Another vote to post the thing to abcfd20.

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga      /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (if only Commodore ///  *
*                              *   knew that)   \\\///   *
*                              *                 \XX/    *

QUIT

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (09/27/90)

In article <24580@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>There's one MAJOR flaw with the A64Project.  It checks for the presence
>of an MC68000 and won't run on anything else.  Besides this big fault
>for all us 010/020/030 users, it looks to be pretty complete.

   This is presently true, but the author states in the docs that he is
working on this now for the next release. He states numerous times that this
is not a finished product. I think he is releasing it now to see if there is
enough interest in it to continue working on it.

pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) (09/27/90)

In a previous article, tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca () says:

>Another vote to post the thing to abcfd20.

I downloaded if from Genie and it works well, however a couple of
the .info files in the archieve are corrupt and the directory structure
is wrong. The Install-fonts program didn't work for me and a file called
CharROM.64font (not a typo, the period should be after the "M") was not
in the correct directory. The manual includes a page with the correct
directory structure and if all the files are put in the correct directories
you should not have any problems. The following is a short form of the
directory structure (for a floppy).

Df0:
   TheA64Package (Dir)
      A64Utilities (Dir)
         All of the utlities programs go here
      64Prgs (Dir)
         64Colors (a C64 program)
         SaveROM (a C64 program)
      Fonts (Dir)
         A64 (Dir)
            6
         A64.font
      64Fonts (Dir)
         CharROM.64font
   All the rest of the prgs. go here

An interesting thing about this emulator is that it comes with its own
cloned C64 ROM, but the included program (SaveROM) which runs on a C64
copies an actual C64 ROM to disk. The emulator can then use the genuine
ROM. The author claims almost 100% compatablility if the C64 Roms are
copied. (Only copy the ROMS if you own a C64).

--
Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu    |  I'm not totally useless -
Integrated Library Systems        |  I can always serve as

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (09/28/90)

Just out of curiosity, about how fast is this new 64 emulator compared to
the real thing?  (Fast, Average, Snail's Pace?)

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
(No snazzy quote yet)

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (09/28/90)

	RE A64Project not running on 030's

	I suppose it's very nice and all that he'll give you a version that
will run on more advanced processors if you register, but I always thought that
part of this "sharware" bit was that I got to see it run FIRST, before shelling
out my bucks.
	I could use something like this a lot, but I'm not buying until I
see it work, which I can't do because I have an 030...

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com   ...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis     GEnie: D.HEFFERNAN1
"I don't understand why you make such a big deal out of everything...haven't
you learned; if it's not happenning to me it's not important?" -Murphy Brown

glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) (09/29/90)

Well, the C64 emulator somebody ftp to the abcd.... (I don't remember the
exact address) doesn't really work because s/he forgot to compress some
of the files in 2 of the directories.  The emulator needs the font files
to run.  The one I got before 3:00pm Sept 28 is the one with the file
missing.  I checked back later and a new file was uploaded but this file
doesn't work and has a CRC check error.  If anybody can locate a working
version at a ftp site, please post it on the net....

GLin.

P.S.  I don't think lharc compress subdirectories, use lhwarp or ones that
      can compress subdirectories if anybody is going to re-send a new file.

olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) (09/30/90)

In article <1150@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) writes:
>Well, the C64 emulator somebody ftp to the abcd.... (I don't remember the

    That was my upload, I recall doing all the files.. but I could be wrong.
    There is a lhwarped copy there now.

>exact address) doesn't really work because s/he forgot to compress some
>of the files in 2 of the directories.  The emulator needs the font files
>to run.  The one I got before 3:00pm Sept 28 is the one with the file
>missing.  I checked back later and a new file was uploaded but this file
>doesn't work and has a CRC check error.  If anybody can locate a working
>version at a ftp site, please post it on the net....
>
>GLin.
>
>P.S.  I don't think lharc compress subdirectories, use lhwarp or ones that
>      can compress subdirectories if anybody is going to re-send a new file.

--
 olson@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | "When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant
 olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | I could hardly stand to be around him. When I

kaufmads@clutx.clarkson.edu (Dana S. Kaufman,TEP House,58520,) (10/01/90)

From article <1150@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>, by glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]):
> Well, the C64 emulator somebody ftp to the abcd.... (I don't remember the
> exact address) doesn't really work because s/he forgot to compress some
> of the files in 2 of the directories.  The emulator needs the font files
> to run.  The one I got before 3:00pm Sept 28 is the one with the file
> missing.  I checked back later and a new file was uploaded but this file
> doesn't work and has a CRC check error.  If anybody can locate a working
> version at a ftp site, please post it on the net....
>
> GLin.
>
> P.S.  I don't think lharc compress subdirectories, use lhwarp or ones that
>       can compress subdirectories if anybody is going to re-send a new file.

I downloaded the file last week and it worked flawlessly.  Most of the programs
I try running though give error codes from the emulator like" unimplemented
opcode" or "unimplemented raster irQ"

Dana S. Kaufman
kaufmads@clutx.clarkson.edu

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/01/90)

glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) writes:

> Well, the C64 emulator somebody ftp to the abcd.... (I don't remember the
> exact address) doesn't really work because s/he forgot to compress some
> of the files in 2 of the directories.  The emulator needs the font files
> to run.  The one I got before 3:00pm Sept 28 is the one with the file
> missing.  I checked back later and a new file was uploaded but this file
> doesn't work and has a CRC check error.  If anybody can locate a working
> version at a ftp site, please post it on the net....
>
> GLin.
>
> P.S.  I don't think lharc compress subdirectories, use lhwarp or ones that
>       can compress subdirectories if anybody is going to re-send a new file.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/01/90)

glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) writes:

> Well, the C64 emulator somebody ftp to the abcd.... (I don't remember the
> exact address) doesn't really work because s/he forgot to compress some
> of the files in 2 of the directories.  The emulator needs the font files
> to run.  The one I got before 3:00pm Sept 28 is the one with the file
> missing.  I checked back later and a new file was uploaded but this file
> doesn't work and has a CRC check error.  If anybody can locate a working
> version at a ftp site, please post it on the net....
>
> GLin.
>
> P.S.  I don't think lharc compress subdirectories, use lhwarp or ones that
>       can compress subdirectories if anybody is going to re-send a new file.

oops...sorry about that last one.

1) I got it and it had the font files.
2) The archive was intact.
3) LHArc 1.20 does archive directories. (When will it add SFX files?)

pashdown@shotput.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (10/03/90)

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) writes:

>In article <603@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> anderson@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) writes:
>>Last night I spotted a new (shareware) product on GEnie: a multitasking
>>C64 emulator for the Amiga.  Before I download it from GEnie, does anyone
>>know of its availability on an FTP archive?  Also, has anyone used
>>this tool?  It was called something like A64Project and (I think) the

>   This may not impress many Amiga owners, but I am sure it will be a boon to
>many of the former owners of C64s who have upgraded & need help being weened
>from the C64.
>   According to the docs he is not finished with the program yet & wants to
>add lots of other features. He should be encouraged, he does very good work.

Ditto, this guy should be supported completely.  This is one of the finest
pieces of shareware I've ever seen, and its obvious a lot of work went into it.
Although it doesn't work on processors higher than the 68000, he is promising
a version that will.  According to the manual, they have a version that will
run on an 020 at 100% or better the speed of a C64.  He claims that if it was
run on an 030 (which they don't have) it would be 200%.

I ftp'd the emulator from abcfd20.  Get the "thea64package.lzh" file and
reconstruct the file structure according to the manual.  The "A64.lhw" and
"C64*.lhw" files seem to have problems.  Both of them gave me errors in
several files after unlhwarping.

Here is the address in the manual.  If you order it directly from QuesTronix,
you should probably include some extra bux for the disk.  I don't believe it
normally comes with the hardware.

                                  QuesTronix
                                P.O. Box 340285
                            Hartford, CT 06134-0285

Again, this guy deserves support!  Let's buy him a 3000!

--
 /    (Rotate head 90 degrees for full effect)
 \    Pete Ashdown    pashdown@esunix   ...utah-cs!esunix!pashdown