[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 2000 v. 386 VGA

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (09/29/90)

In article <90270.192334JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu>, JKT <JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> says:

>I own both an Amiga 2000/HD which is accelerated in no way.  I also own
>a 386 clone with VGA and HD.  Both have 3 megs of memory.  Both have
>2 floppies in addition to their HD's.  The 386's clock speed is 16 MHz
>as opposed to the Amiga's 7 MHz.
>
>The Amiga unquestionably outperforms the 386.  All tasks I run on both
>are noticably slower on the 386.  More importantly, they are more
>*difficult* on the 386.  Windows 3.0 is still kludgy, I don't care
>what anyone says.

This is very nice to hear, since today I played with a 386 VGA Windows3.0
rig and it sure seemed to feel good.

Could you do us all a favor and elaborate a little on the types of things
you do that you find better on the Amiga than on the 386?  What is
kludgey about Windows?  Give us some specific bullets we can use when arguing
over beer about computers....

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (09/29/90)

In article <90271.191138UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:

>This is very nice to hear, since today I played with a 386 VGA Windows3.0
>rig and it sure seemed to feel good.
>
>Could you do us all a favor and elaborate a little on the types of things
>you do that you find better on the Amiga than on the 386?  What is
>kludgey about Windows?  Give us some specific bullets we can use when arguing
>over beer about computers....

No pull down screens! :-)   Windows 3.0 isn't as snappy.  Comparing a 25Mhz
386 machine to a 7Mhz A500, I find all operations faster on the Amiga and
window redraws especially faster on the Amiga.  Since MS-DOS files don't
have .info type files, there doesn't seem to be any way to double-click on
files to fire up an editor, or other default program.  There is no file
management capability like I have with SID.  No do-everything-macro-key
program like Mach II (or dmouse).  There are very serious problems running
MS-DOS programs under Windows 3.0.  I can't get DOS to come up in a window
even though I know you can do this.  Actually, Windows 3.0 does have a
windows-within-windows capability which you can use like Amiga screens.
And the other software will be there someday.  I just hope I'm not there to
see it :-).  After using MS-DOS (even with a decent shell), I am thrilled to
have Windows 3.0.  I feel so pathetic!  Hopefully, I will have a 3000 monday
(oh please, oh please) and won't have to deal with it again.

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) (09/30/90)

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) writes:
[stuff deleted]

>No pull down screens! :-)   Windows 3.0 isn't as snappy.  Comparing a 25Mhz
>386 machine to a 7Mhz A500, I find all operations faster on the Amiga and
>window redraws especially faster on the Amiga.  Since MS-DOS files don't
>have .info type files, there doesn't seem to be any way to double-click on
>files to fire up an editor, or other default program.  There is no file

That is not right ! You can do it ! But they use another way to do it.
Look for PIF-Editor, there you can add the link to desired prog.

>management capability like I have with SID.  No do-everything-macro-key
>program like Mach II (or dmouse).  There are very serious problems running

Also not right ! There is a very fine Macro-Recorder there you can do exactly
the same thing as in MachII or DMouse !(I wish to have this Macro-Ed for Amiga)

>MS-DOS programs under Windows 3.0.  I can't get DOS to come up in a window
>even though I know you can do this.  Actually, Windows 3.0 does have a
>windows-within-windows capability which you can use like Amiga screens.
>And the other software will be there someday.  I just hope I'm not there to

MachII went out 2 Years after starting to sell Amiga. And the features of Win 3
are already build in.

>see it :-).  After using MS-DOS (even with a decent shell), I am thrilled to
>have Windows 3.0.  I feel so pathetic!  Hopefully, I will have a 3000 monday
>(oh please, oh please) and won't have to deal with it again.
[sig deleted]
So, I think Win 3.0 is a real opposition to Ami-OS 2.0. If they (Microsoft)
continue like this, and the prices for 386 are going down, the drives for
Super-VGA are coming (=higher resolutions), then we aren't anymore the leader
(after Apple ?) of grafical intuitions.

Well, but this discussion about Win and Amiga is old, 3 month ago we
discussed it already.

CU, Markus
   Markus Illenseer                I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid, I can't do that.
     4790 Paderborn ,United Germany           Email: ill@uni-paderborn.de

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep29.203429.2307@uni-paderborn.de> ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) writes:
>jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) writes:
>>window redraws especially faster on the Amiga.  Since MS-DOS files don't
>>have .info type files, there doesn't seem to be any way to double-click on
>>files to fire up an editor, or other default program.  There is no file
>
>That is not right ! You can do it ! But they use another way to do it.
>Look for PIF-Editor, there you can add the link to desired prog.

The PIF-Editor is a real pain for doing those type of functions, even tho
that is what the PIF-Editor is supposed to do!  Besides, 99% of the files
don't have a PIF file for them.  No way am I going to go through 80Megs of
files and attach PIF files for them.

>>management capability like I have with SID.  No do-everything-macro-key
>>program like Mach II (or dmouse).  There are very serious problems running
>
>Also not right ! There is a very fine Macro-Recorder there you can do exactly
>the same thing as in MachII or DMouse !(I wish to have this Macro-Ed for Amiga)

Well, I wouldn't call the Macro-Recorder fine to begin with, and it does not do
anything even close to what MachII does.   You should also check out Scripit.
Scripit is fantastic although I haven't seen much discussion of it here.
The combination of MachII, Scripit, ARexx, etc. is far beyond anything
possible in Windows 3.0.  I have used Macro-Recorder, try these other
programs before responding.

>>MS-DOS programs under Windows 3.0.  I can't get DOS to come up in a window
>>even though I know you can do this.  Actually, Windows 3.0 does have a
>>windows-within-windows capability which you can use like Amiga screens.
>>And the other software will be there someday.  I just hope I'm not there to
>
>MachII went out 2 Years after starting to sell Amiga. And the features of Win 3
>are already build in.

The newest version of MachII is 2.6.  It has the more features and options
than any other similar program.  All the options can be changed without
exiting MachII and the set-up can be automatically changed whenever you
click in a particular window.  This is the one program I have to have on any
Amiga I work on.

>So, I think Win 3.0 is a real opposition to Ami-OS 2.0. If they (Microsoft)
>continue like this, and the prices for 386 are going down, the drives for
>Super-VGA are coming (=higher resolutions), then we aren't anymore the leader
>(after Apple ?) of grafical intuitions.

Windows 3.0 IS a real competitor for Workbench, but not because of
technical capabilities.  People will say, "Oh, now I can do these things
on my PC that those Amiga people are always talking about."  But it
isn't the same at all.  It is qualitatively different.  Compare a 25Mhz
(or even 33Mhz) 386 machine running Windows 3.0 with a stock 7.14Mhz Amiga
side by side.  Windows may just seem clunkier, but I find the real problems
are much deeper.

>Well, but this discussion about Win and Amiga is old, 3 month ago we
>discussed it already.

Someone asked.

Also note Doug Dyer's comments in msg #11705.  I heartily concur.
--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and
 you ever seen Claude Rains?"  |  \X/ balances /_\   |   /_\  |  Mass Sarcasm."

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/03/90)

About Mach II: Mach III is on abcfd20 /incoming/amiga

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP