[comp.sys.amiga] VT-100 Emulators & ONLINE!

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (09/25/90)

Marco Papa <papa@pollux.usc.edu> writes:

> Sorry I could not resist replying to this one :-) You say that Online!
> emulates the VT100 "rather closely" and it "even supports the cursor
> control". This is a joke right?  If it didn't support the cursor control
> it would be TOTALLY unusable.  In fact Online!'s VT100 emulator is the
> *worse* of all the ones I've seen, commercial, shareware and PD.  It
> fails on almost all features even on simple torture tests like VTTEST.
> If you're strapped with money both VT100 R.9 and Hanshake will do a much
> better job at emulating a VT100 than Online! by a mile. Both are
> available on Fish disks.  Of the commercials I have no problem at
> stating that we have the best one.  And we do support our products on a
> daily basis.  Ask yourself when Online! last updated their program or
> fixed the problems to the VT100 emulation that have been known to them
> for years.
>
> -- Marco

Some of you may feel that Marco is a bit biased.  I'm *NOT* biased, and
paid good(?) money for ONLINE!.

I agree with everything Marco said!  He may be biased, but he's right
when he tells you to steer clear of ONLINE! if you need decent VT-100
emulation.

   --- Cal
   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
                         Single Tasking?    *JUST SAY NO!!!*

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (09/25/90)

>Some of you may feel that Marco is a bit biased.  I'm *NOT* biased, and
>paid good(?) money for ONLINE!.
>
>I agree with everything Marco said!  He may be biased, but he's right
>when he tells you to steer clear of ONLINE! if you need decent VT-100
>emulation.
>
>   --- Cal
>   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>
> \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
>                         Single Tasking?    *JUST SAY NO!!!*

I'm not biased, and I seldom agree with anything Marco says, but he (and
Cal) hit the nail on the head this time.  I spent $60 for Online!, I like a
lot of the way it does things, but the vt100 is the worst I've seen.  VLT
has the best, though... sorry, Marco!<grin>

/********************************************************************
 *      All of the above copyright by the below.                    *
 * Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys                        *
 *  "You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever."  *
 *              Larry Anderson                                      *
 ********************************************************************/

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (10/02/90)

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:

}>I agree with everything Marco said!  He may be biased, but he's right
}>when he tells you to steer clear of ONLINE! if you need decent VT-100
}>emulation. ...

}I'm not biased, and I seldom agree with anything Marco says, but he (and
}Cal) hit the nail on the head this time.

Could one of you folks mail me or post or something a specific (useful)
thing that online! doesn't do right?  I've used all of the 'big 4'
[vlt, vt100, Online! and AT3] to dial into my SUN workstation at BBN
from my Amiga at home, and generally the VT100 emulation is just not a
problem.  My only criticism of Online!'s vt100 emulation is that it is
SLOW, but in terms of 'decent vt-100 emulation', Online seems to do
OK.  What *is* it that you folks do with your comm programs that so
clearly show up Online's problems?

  /bErnie\

martens@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (10/03/90)

In article <59740@bbn.BBN.COM> cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:

>Could one of you folks mail me or post or something a specific (useful)
>thing that online! doesn't do right?  I've used all of the 'big 4'
>[vlt, vt100, Online! and AT3] to dial into my SUN workstation at BBN
>from my Amiga at home, and generally the VT100 emulation is just not a
>problem.  My only criticism of Online!'s vt100 emulation is that it is
>SLOW, but in terms of 'decent vt-100 emulation', Online seems to do
>OK.  What *is* it that you folks do with your comm programs that so
>clearly show up Online's problems?

I use Online (why an exclamation?  I haven't seen anything to get too
excited about) for my daily needs, and regularly use the VT100
emulation.  There are some problems using emacs in a Sun, but these
can mostly be worked around by occasionally repainting the screen.  If
you want to see a program that presumably works with a real VT100 but
is unusable with Online, try the Ohio State U. Library Control System,
the world's most archaic and useless computerized library system.  You
can get at via telnet at:  lcs.us.ohio-state.edu
--
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

	Dan Quayle on education:  "We're going to have
	the best educated American people in the world."

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/03/90)

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:

> bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:
>
> }>I agree with everything Marco said!  He may be biased, but he's right
> }>when he tells you to steer clear of ONLINE! if you need decent VT-100
> }>emulation. ...
>
> }I'm not biased, and I seldom agree with anything Marco says, but he (and
> }Cal) hit the nail on the head this time.
>
> Could one of you folks mail me or post or something a specific (useful)
> thing that online! doesn't do right?  I've used all of the 'big 4'
> [vlt, vt100, Online! and AT3] to dial into my SUN workstation at BBN
> from my Amiga at home, and generally the VT100 emulation is just not a
> problem.  My only criticism of Online!'s vt100 emulation is that it is
> SLOW, but in terms of 'decent vt-100 emulation', Online seems to do
> OK.  What *is* it that you folks do with your comm programs that so
> clearly show up Online's problems?
>
>   /bErnie\

Hey...remember that JR-Comm is an excellent terminal program. (Although
currently the VT100 sucks really bad)

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

In article <59740@bbn.BBN.COM> cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:
|bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:
|
|}>I agree with everything Marco said!  He may be biased, but he's right
|}>when he tells you to steer clear of ONLINE! if you need decent VT-100
|}>emulation. ...
|
|}I'm not biased, and I seldom agree with anything Marco says, but he (and
|}Cal) hit the nail on the head this time.
|
|Could one of you folks mail me or post or something a specific (useful)
|thing that online! doesn't do right?  I've used all of the 'big 4'
|[vlt, vt100, Online! and AT3] to dial into my SUN workstation at BBN
|from my Amiga at home, and generally the VT100 emulation is just not a
|problem.  My only criticism of Online!'s vt100 emulation is that it is
|SLOW, but in terms of 'decent vt-100 emulation', Online seems to do
|OK.  What *is* it that you folks do with your comm programs that so
|clearly show up Online's problems?

Online! breaks in things as simple as 'vi'. It breaks at the end of lines
and end of screens big time, especially when a scroll is involved.  It breaks
when using "origin mode" for scrolling. The end result is that your cursor
will be at some spot that is incorrect and if you continue to enter text,
it will go in the wrong place.  You'll end up having to use ^L all the time
to refresh the screen.  As I said before, things really fall apart when using
a DEC editor like EVE or EDT. In that case you can really forget about editing
anything.  Incredibly enough, it even breaks when using emacs (and one has to
really foul up to do that :-) [Please consider that Online! bashing by a
competitor like us could be considered biased, though I urge the disbelievers
to try out a simple test like vttest to see for themselves. End of bashing.
Back to your regular programming. Armor on :^]

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman