[comp.sys.amiga] MAC SE has something HUMAN!

NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu (09/25/90)

Hi outthere,

Often I thought the AMIGA was the only computer out there, that showed
some of the humor, or feelings the developers had. But the Mac SE does too!
Start up a MAC SE and go into the debugger( button next to reset button)
now type >G 41D89A and see what happens!
It's not the same as the GURU MEDITATION, and less obvious, but it's in the
ROM's!

Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM)
                (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.bitnet)

eric@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) (09/26/90)

In article <31417@nigel.ee.udel.edu> NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu writes:
>Often I thought the AMIGA was the only computer out there, that showed
>some of the humor, or feelings the developers had. But the Mac SE does too!
>Start up a MAC SE and go into the debugger( button next to reset button)
>now type >G 41D89A and see what happens!

Hey, this is an Amiga group, ya know?  Most of us don't *have* Mac SEs.
Wanna tell us what you're talking about?

--
---------------------------------------
Eric Kennedy                    eric@eklektik.pgh.pa.us

olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) (09/28/90)

In article <5950@eklektik.UUCP> eric@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) writes:
>In article <31417@nigel.ee.udel.edu> NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu writes:
>>Often I thought the AMIGA was the only computer out there, that showed
>>some of the humor, or feelings the developers had. But the Mac SE does too!
>>Start up a MAC SE and go into the debugger( button next to reset button)
>>now type >G 41D89A and see what happens!
>
>Hey, this is an Amiga group, ya know?  Most of us don't *have* Mac SEs.
>Wanna tell us what you're talking about?

I tried it at work.  The SE there went into "SlideShow" mode, showing off
a bunch of people in a couple of digitised pictures.  It was interesting
for about the first 10 seconds.  Now if we only had a "debugging" switch
on A-Max to test it out on.

>--
>---------------------------------------
>Eric Kennedy                    eric@eklektik.pgh.pa.us
>(formerly ejkst@pitt.UUCP)      ...pitt!idis!eklektik!eric

--
 olson@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | "When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant
 olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | I could hardly stand to be around him. When I

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (09/28/90)

   For all people not having a Mac SE to play around with them (which is
all right, since this is comp.sys.amiga):

   When you jump to address $41D89A of the ROM of a Mac SE, you can look
at a small slide show of digitized pictures showing all the team that did
the Mac.

   I can also add that I don't know if it works on AMax, since I didn't
find the debug button (-:. (for the fanatics, you can still try to produce
an NMI signal by applying a customized paper-clip on the right place of
the expansion bus, (remember the reset switch, ex-Commodore 64 fans ?). Of
course, if you screw-up your Miga in the process, I'm not responsible))

  Now let's go back to the Amiga

      JNM

--
I write (badly) only my own opinions.
" Just make it ! "

plonka@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Plonka) (09/28/90)

In article <7281@dog.ee.lbl.gov> jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) writes:

[stuff deleted]
>   When you jump to address $41D89A of the ROM of a Mac SE, you can look
>at a small slide show of digitized pictures showing all the team that did
>the Mac.
>
>   I can also add that I don't know if it works on AMax, since I didn't
>find the debug button (-:.
[stuff deleted]

To enter the debugger on AMax, simply press the Shift & Escape.

(BTW, the SE trick doesn't work. Does the SE even use the same ROMs?
My Amiga thinks its a Mac 512 when I'm in AMax w/ 128K ROMs.)

Dave

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------///--------
    plonka@carroll1.cc.edu             Dave Plonka              ///

slfields@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Scott L Fields) (09/28/90)

In article <7281@dog.ee.lbl.gov> jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) writes:
>   When you jump to address $41D89A of the ROM of a Mac SE, you can look
>at a small slide show of digitized pictures showing all the team that did
>the Mac.
>   I can also add that I don't know if it works on AMax, since I didn't
>find the debug button (-:. (for the fanatics, you can still try to produce
>an NMI signal by applying a customized paper-clip on the right place of
>the expansion bus, (remember the reset switch, ex-Commodore 64 fans ?). Of
>course, if you screw-up your Miga in the process, I'm not responsible))

The problem here is that the pictures are only available on the Mac SE rom.
You will not be able to see them on the Amax's Mac+ rom.

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (09/30/90)

In article <9583@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) writes:
> In article <5950@eklektik.UUCP> eric@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) writes:
>>In article <31417@nigel.ee.udel.edu> NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu writes:
>>>Often I thought the AMIGA was the only computer out there, that showed
>>>some of the humor, or feelings the developers had. But the Mac SE does too!
>>>Start up a MAC SE and go into the debugger( button next to reset button)
>>>now type >G 41D89A and see what happens!
>>
>>Hey, this is an Amiga group, ya know?  Most of us don't *have* Mac SEs.
>>Wanna tell us what you're talking about?
>>

> I tried it at work.  The SE there went into "SlideShow" mode, showing off
> a bunch of people in a couple of digitised pictures.  It was interesting
> for about the first 10 seconds.  Now if we only had a "debugging" switch
> on A-Max to test it out on.

The story behind this is very funny. As you know, the mac roms are a pair of
chips. Would you believe that one half of that ROM space is taken up by that
slide show? And it's not all just on one chip. That is a real bone of
contention amongst mac owners who are forced to pay for a _new motherboard_
every time they burn out a rom (which is fairly common).

Regards Alan

mueller@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) (10/01/90)

In article <13555@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
[... deleted stuff about the Mac SE slideshow ...]
>The story behind this is very funny. As you know, the mac roms are a pair of
>chips. Would you believe that one half of that ROM space is taken up by that
>slide show? And it's not all just on one chip. That is a real bone of
>contention amongst mac owners who are forced to pay for a _new motherboard_
>every time they burn out a rom (which is fairly common).
>
>Regards Alan

I think you've distorted the story a bit.  The Mac SE uses the 68000,
so therefore requires 16 bits at a time from its memory chips.  Each
ROM chip supplies eight bits, so two are always required.  The Mac
Plus used 64K roms, giving a total of 128K for the system.

When the system was upgraded for the SE, they overflowed this space,
and went to the next larger size (128K roms -> 256K space).  It turns
out they didn't really need twice the space, since the system ROM
routines didn't double in size, so there was room left for the slide
show.

If my memory serves, the show consists only of two coarsely dithered
images.  Even if stored uncompressed, they would only be 22K a piece
(512*342/8).

As a sidenote, I think the latest Macs have 512K of ROM.  Anybody
found anything interesting in them?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled comp.sys.amiga :-).

-Carl Mueller (mueller@cs.unc.edu)

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (10/01/90)

>In article <13555@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>The story behind this is very funny. As you know, the mac roms are a pair of
>chips. Would you believe that one half of that ROM space is taken up by that
>slide show? And it's not all just on one chip. That is a real bone of
>contention amongst mac owners who are forced to pay for a _new motherboard_
>every time they burn out a rom (which is fairly common).
>
>Regards Alan

They burn out roms all the time???!!!!  What the heck do they do in a mac
that burns out a rom?

--
          _
    ///  /_\      Scot L. Harris ...!tarpit!rtmvax!amigash!scot

In <scot.3772@amigash.UUCP>, scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) writes:
>>That is a real bone of
>>contention amongst mac owners who are forced to pay for a _new motherboard_
>>every time they burn out a rom (which is fairly common).
>>
>>Regards Alan
>

>They burn out roms all the time???!!!!  What the heck do they do in a mac
>that burns out a rom?

Think about it...  here's this beautiful, fast CPU chip, ready to do marvellous
things; ready to go looking for a race against the best that Intel has to
offer; ready to whip the competition, and what do they get to do?  Yeah...  you
got it..  they get to hang around updating screens, refreshing windows,
handling sounds..  you know..  all the grunge work.

Sorta like putting cheap tires on a Grand Prix car.

<Insert smiley of your choice here>

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill