[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga: Keep it.

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (09/28/90)

(repost)

I've seen three postings recently concerning "I'm going to sell my
Amiga and buy a 386"  or "The A2000 is priced the same as this
286 clone"...

Well, I'd like to tell those considering buying an IBM about my setup:

I own both an Amiga 2000/HD which is accelerated in no way.  I also own
a 386 clone with VGA and HD.  Both have 3 megs of memory.  Both have
2 floppies in addition to their HD's.  The 386's clock speed is 16 MHz
as opposed to the Amiga's 7 MHz.

The Amiga unquestionably outperforms the 386.  All tasks I run on both
are noticably slower on the 386.  More importantly, they are more
*difficult* on the 386.  Windows 3.0 is still kludgy, I don't care
what anyone says.

It's gotten to the point where I never use the 386.  Every time I
run something on it, I think "My Amiga can do this better...  Why
aren't I using it?"   ...and I do.

I feel like I wasted the $2000 I paid for the 386.  I'm just glad
I got a good deal and didn't pay more for this paperweight.

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

griff@anvil.intel.com (Richard Griffith) (10/03/90)

In article <90270.194414JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu>, JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu
(JKT) writes:
> From: JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT)

[ stuff deleted ]
> The Amiga unquestionably outperforms the 386.  All tasks I run on both
> are noticably slower on the 386.  More importantly, they are more
> *difficult* on the 386.  Windows 3.0 is still kludgy, I don't care
> what anyone says.
   I just love it when a DOS user tells me how he now has "multitasking"
with 3.0 - I just tell him to go format 2 disks and write a letter on a
word processor - or shoot - just format 2 disks at once.  :-)   I was
just talking to an engineer here at *ntel and he said something like: well,
the more you know about computers, the less likely you are to buy *BM - and
the more you know about software the less likely you are to buy a clone. -
too bad so many developers have to count on huge market  -  maybe the
point here
is that if your software was good to begin with - you wouldn't need a potential
market measured in millions -

[brevity time]

            **** Thanks for the rant and rave .... :-)

                              - griff

:Richard E. Griffith, "griff" : iNTEL, Hillsboro Ore.
:griff@anvil.hf.intel.com
:SCA!: Cyrus Hammerhand, Household of the Golden Wolf, Dragons' Mist, An Tir
:These are MY opinions, if iNTEL wanted them, They'd pay for `em!

duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) (10/04/90)

From article <1424@gandalf.littlei.UUCP>, by griff@anvil.intel.com (Richard Griffith):
> In article <90270.194414JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu>, JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu
> (JKT) writes:
>> From: JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT)
>>
> [ stuff deleted ]
>> The Amiga unquestionably outperforms the 386.  All tasks I run on both
>> are noticably slower on the 386.  More importantly, they are more
>> *difficult* on the 386.  Windows 3.0 is still kludgy, I don't care
>> what anyone says.
>    I just love it when a DOS user tells me how he now has "multitasking"
> with 3.0 - I just tell him to go format 2 disks and write a letter on a
> word processor - or shoot - just format 2 disks at once.  :-)   I was
> just talking to an engineer here at *ntel and he said something like: well,
> the more you know about computers, the less likely you are to buy *BM - and
> the more you know about software the less likely you are to buy a clone. -
> too bad so many developers have to count on huge market  -  maybe the
> point here
> is that if your software was good to begin with - you wouldn't need a potential
> market measured in millions -
  >
> :Richard E. Griffith, "griff" : iNTEL, Hillsboro Ore.

To add to the above with the words of Jerry Pournelle

Windows 3.0 is "pretty niffty" on a FAST 386 with a large hd and
extra memory.  Barely on a fast 286.  No way on a standard 286.
Word for Windows "screams" on a 33 MHz Premier 9000 is not
acceptable on a 286 or slow 386.  Ami Professional for Windows
same story forget the 286.  Now that is just one program under
Windows - what happens when you want to run several applications
even on the "fast" 386s?

Lets not even talk about OS/2 with its 4Mb memory min.

I've ran programs on my amiga 2000 that could not be run on a
"fast" Zenith 33MHz due to the memory limitations of DOS.  Oh, we
could have gotten a compiler that generated true  32 bit code for
around $500 and a dos extender for another $500 or so, or moved
to unix...  So next time I hear about a super 386 deal... FOR some of my
applications MSDOS is a joke... the extra cost of a decent
operating system that handles more than 640k chunks, multitasks
at a resonable speed without chewing up resources, and doesn't
REQUIRE a fast hard disk or 4 Mb's of memory still makes the
amiga a good soild choice for the price. But then I do more than
just wordprocess, spreadsheet, or database.