[comp.sys.amiga] DC-TV and HAM-E

axjjb@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) (10/02/90)

Hi, I am thinking about purchasing either the HAM-E or DC-TV.  I am probably
going to buy the HAM-E.  But after looking at the DC-TV adds I am highly
impressed.  What does DCTV offer that HAM-E doesn't (I know about the composite
output and the digitizing capabilities..but I plan on Using digiview 4.0
anyways..so DCTV gets a minus there..)

Questions:

Which one has the best output, color, and sharpness.

How is the software?

Do is it perform to specs?

How many colors does DCTV display?

does HAM-E display 262,144 colors out of 16 million, or out of 262,144 colors?

Thanks

bdraschk@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Bernd Raschke) (10/03/90)

axjjb@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) writes:

>I am probably going to buy the HAM-E.
Me too.

>Which one has the best output, color, and sharpness.
>How is the software?
>Do is it perform to specs?
>How many colors does DCTV display?
>does HAM-E display 262,144 colors out of 16 million, or out of 262,144 colors?
Can i connect DCTV to my Multisync?
Which one will be available in Europe at first (PAL compatible!)
Which will be easier to program? DCTV: hsv-model, HAM-E: rgb-model?
Will there be software like:
  -games (not so important)
  -raytracer
  -gif viewer
Answers?
>Thanks
Danke, auch
--
Bernd 'The Real Arthur!' Raschke           | Only    //
bdraschk@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de |     \\ // Amiga

Radagast@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (10/04/90)

>>I am probably going to buy the HAM-E.
>Me too.
>
>>Which one has the best output, color, and sharpness.

Best output: for NTSC the DCTV, for RGB the HAM-E
      color: both display 16 million colors...
  sharpness: for NTSC the DCTV, for RGB the HAM-E (esp. in Register mode)

>>How is the software?

HAM-E: Nothing special... (yet.)  The rendering package does its job.  It
would help if programs like ASDG's The Art Department supported the device
directly rather than through 24 bit plane IFF files.

DCTV: Haven't gotten one... (yet.)

>>Do is it perform to specs?

HAM-E: It seems to perform quite well.  The setup display of a color
triangle has no noticeable fringing on either side.

DCTV will presumably have the same fringing as NTSC, but will have better
smooth shading when traversing between non-primary luminances, or across
a dissimilar color spectrum since both are under direct control on the DCTV
but only indirect control on the HAM-E.

>>does HAM-E display 262,144 colors out of 16 million, or out of 262,144 colors
?

16 Million Colors are displayable (The RGB registers are each 24 bits wide.)
but only 6 bits can be updated in HAM mode *except* through the selection of
a color register (like a HAM register.)

>Can i connect DCTV to my Multisync?

If it accepts NTSC signals you can.  (The output is composite NTSC,
but there will reportedly be a converter available for NTSC->RGB
)
>Which one will be available in Europe at first (PAL compatible!)

HAM-E is already PAL compatible (It doesn't care enough about the signals
to know the difference.)  Presumably both devices will work with PAL
since neither uses on-board memory.

>Which will be easier to program? DCTV: hsv-model, HAM-E: rgb-model?

HAM-E will be easy to program from existing paing programs like dPaint.
DCTV has a simple model which will be easy to design new programs for.
HAM-E is a pain to program in HAM mode, but the algorithms that already
exist for HAM mode manipulation should be adaptible to this device.

>Will there be software like:
>  -games (not so important)
>  -raytracer
>  -gif viewer

Natch!

HAM-E includes a 24bit to HAM-E rendering package.
I'm certain that DCTV will include the same sort of utility.

>Answers?
>>Thanks
>Danke, auch
Bitte.