[comp.sys.amiga] Converting Amiga anims

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (10/03/90)

> mueller@hatteras.cs.unc.edu writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <16483@thorin.cs.unc.edu>
>
> Org.  : University Of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
> Person: Carl Mueller
>
> I was just wondering:  there are lots of incredible Amiga animations
> out there.  Many of them I can't see because I don't have enough
> memory.  At school, there are lots of workstations with gobs of
> memory and display capabilities.  How hard would it be to convert
> the Amiga anim & movie-type files so they could be shown on the
> workstations, under X perhaps?  Are there programs that do this
> already?
>
> Just curious...
>
> -Carl Mueller (mueller@cs.unc.edu)   sig?  This is my sig!

Before I can answer you're questions, I need to know something:
What type of workstations are you talking about? Who made them, in other words?
I can answer part of your question right now, I suppose. If you are
transporting anims to another computer, you will have to (as far as I know)
break them down into individual frames, then port each across to the new
machine with whatever converter is needed by the machine you're going to. Then
the anim would have to be reassembled. Of course, the frame timing is going to
be lost and this means you may not see what the animator intended you to see.
If what you relly want to do is see the anims and show them to whoever, why not
find someone in your town that has a gi-huge-ic Amiga ram space and a genlock,
that them into dumping the anims onto tape for you, and then you can watch them
any time you want.
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

mueller@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) (10/03/90)

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/04/90)

mueller@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) writes:

> I was just wondering:  there are lots of incredible Amiga animations
> out there.  Many of them I can't see because I don't have enough
> memory.  At school, there are lots of workstations with gobs of
> memory and display capabilities.  How hard would it be to convert
> the Amiga anim & movie-type files so they could be shown on the
> workstations, under X perhaps?  Are there programs that do this
> already?
>
> Just curious...
>
> -Carl Mueller (mueller@cs.unc.edu)   sig?  This is my sig!

I doubt is Xwindows, even on a SPARC os R3000 based machine, can keeo up
with the faster Amiga ANIMs. (i.e. walker II etc.) BTW...does anyone know
where I can get Walker I or II via ftp? (The 2 meg versions)

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP