[comp.sys.amiga] What Programs Use SMUS Music Files

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (09/26/90)

I have been working with Disney Animation Studio lately. I am interested
in syncing digitized audio up to my animations using the exposure sheet.
Unfortunately, DAS only uses SMUS sound type files. I have checked all of
the sound/music programs I know of, none use this format. How can DAS
call this "standard" if no one uses it? I guess this is nothing new though.

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

carson@darwin.ntu.edu.au (09/27/90)

In article <15120@venera.isi.edu>, schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
> I have been working with Disney Animation Studio lately. I am interested
> in syncing digitized audio up to my animations using the exposure sheet.
> Unfortunately, DAS only uses SMUS sound type files. I have checked all of
> the sound/music programs I know of, none use this format. How can DAS
> call this "standard" if no one uses it? I guess this is nothing new though.
--SEAN

Deluxe Music Construction Set and Ageis Sonixs these programs both read
SMUS files
    John Carson                    \   Ph:       (089)466207
    Northern Territory University   \  Fax:      (089)466454
    Institute of T.A.F.E.            \ Internet: carson@darwin.ntu.edu.au
    PO Box 40146,CASUARINA,NT,0811    \
              " TAFE DOES THINGS PRACTICALY "

djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (09/28/90)

In article <15120@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>I have been working with Disney Animation Studio lately. I am interested
>in syncing digitized audio up to my animations using the exposure sheet.
>Unfortunately, DAS only uses SMUS sound type files. I have checked all of
>the sound/music programs I know of, none use this format. How can DAS
>call this "standard" if no one uses it? I guess this is nothing new though.

What are you talking about? Deluxe Music Construction Set, Instant Music,
the Amiga SMUS Toolkit, and others all support SMUS. It's the IFF-standard
that's been written up since 1985 in the ROM Kernal Manuals. Get a life.
How many music programs do you actually own?
| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "This here's the wattle,             |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      It's the emblem of our land.        |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      You can put it in a bottle,         |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |      You can hold it in your hand."      |
+============================================================================+
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |

In article <1466@metaphor.Metaphor.COM> djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) writes:
>In article <15120@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>>I have been working with Disney Animation Studio lately. I am interested
>>in syncing digitized audio up to my animations using the exposure sheet.
>>Unfortunately, DAS only uses SMUS sound type files. I have checked all of
>>the sound/music programs I know of, none use this format. How can DAS
>>call this "standard" if no one uses it? I guess this is nothing new though.
>
>What are you talking about? Deluxe Music Construction Set, Instant Music,
>the Amiga SMUS Toolkit, and others all support SMUS. It's the IFF-standard
>that's been written up since 1985 in the ROM Kernal Manuals. Get a life.

And to confirm this: The upcoming new era of AmigaVision also understands
this format.

mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (09/29/90)

In article <1466@metaphor.Metaphor.COM> djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) writes:

>What are you talking about? Deluxe Music Construction Set, Instant Music,
>the Amiga SMUS Toolkit, and others all support SMUS. It's the IFF-standard
>that's been written up since 1985 in the ROM Kernal Manuals. Get a life.

	Don't know about the others (maybe Bo does :-), but SMUS is NOT Deluxe
Music's preferred format.  In fact, it does a rather poor (IMHO) job at handling
SMUS files.  Deluxe Music is really written to deal with DMCS format files!

	And DMCS _is_ an IFF file type.  Used ONLY by Deluxe Music, but it IS
IFF...

	-- Matt

    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
    %    "I programmed three days        %                               %
    %     And heard no human voices.     %    I HAVE a life, do YOU?     %
    %     But the hard disk sang."       %                               %
    %          -- Yoshiko                                                %
    %                            E-mail:  mrush@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu %
    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     This is a SCHOOL!  Do you think they even CARE about MY opinions?!

djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep28.202602.10950@ecst.csuchico.edu> mrush@cscihp.UUCP writes:
>In article <1466@metaphor.Metaphor.COM> djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) writes:
>>
>>What are you talking about? Deluxe Music Construction Set, Instant Music,
>>the Amiga SMUS Toolkit, and others all support SMUS. It's the IFF-standard
>>that's been written up since 1985 in the ROM Kernal Manuals. Get a life.
>
>	Don't know about the others (maybe Bo does :-), but SMUS is NOT Deluxe
>Music's preferred format.  In fact, it does a rather poor (IMHO) job at handling
>SMUS files.  Deluxe Music is really written to deal with DMCS format files!
>
>	And DMCS _is_ an IFF file type.  Used ONLY by Deluxe Music, but it IS
>IFF...

Jeez. Music-X has SMUS import ability; so does Dynamic Studio, if I remember
correctly. SMUS is AmigaVision's SOLE music format. There are your
"others".

consp13@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) (10/03/90)

In article <455@cbmger.UUCP>, peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

|>And to confirm this: The upcoming new era of AmigaVision also understands
|>this format.

Speaking of which, has anyone out there who sent in your AmigaVision
cards (you know, the ones that came with the early A3000's that didn't
include AmigaVision..) actually *gotten* a copy of A-vision? I have not,
and it's been awhile.. (The propaganda mailing I got a month.5 ago said
by the end of September.. It's October, and no A-Vision..)

	I'm dying to get my hands on it, after all I've heard!

						\marc

=====

'I do not fear computers.. I fear the lack of them'  -- I. Asimov
									RNM

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/03/90)

mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:

> In article <1466@metaphor.Metaphor.COM> djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas
> >
> >What are you talking about? Deluxe Music Construction Set, Instant Music,
> >the Amiga SMUS Toolkit, and others all support SMUS. It's the IFF-standard
> >that's been written up since 1985 in the ROM Kernal Manuals. Get a life.
>
> 	Don't know about the others (maybe Bo does :-), but SMUS is NOT Deluxe
> Music's preferred format.  In fact, it does a rather poor (IMHO) job at handl
> SMUS files.  Deluxe Music is really written to deal with DMCS format files!
>
> 	And DMCS _is_ an IFF file type.  Used ONLY by Deluxe Music, but it IS
> IFF...
>
> 	-- Matt
>
>     *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
>     %    "I programmed three days        %                               %
>     %     And heard no human voices.     %    I HAVE a life, do YOU?     %
>     %     But the hard disk sang."       %                               %
>     %          -- Yoshiko                                                %
>     %                            E-mail:  mrush@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu %
>     *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
>      This is a SCHOOL!  Do you think they even CARE about MY opinions?!

DCMS _is_ SMUS _is_ IFF _is_ standard.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (10/04/90)

In article <HgmFq6w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP
(Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
|mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:

[[ ...arguments about SMUS and DMCS deleted...  ]]

     You're *both* right!  DMCS does indeed use SMUS as one of it's IFF
formats.  It also uses an IFF format that is proprietary to DMCS.  The
private format does a much better job than the SMUS format, IMO.
Perhaps the author of DMCS just didn't bother to use the SMUS form to
its greatest advantage?  So what's the argument about, anyway?  :-)

     BTW, did anybody ever figure out what the private sections of the
DMCS IFF did?  Is EA ever going to do anything with DMCS other than sit
on it?  If not, why don't they release the info to the world?  Why is
the sky green?  What place is this...?  :-)

                                    --dds

Dale D. Snell      dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM      74756.666@compuserve.COM
"Nice house.  Good tea."