[comp.sys.amiga] Go 64 Interface

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (10/03/90)

Anyone know if the Go 64 serial interface will work with the shareware emulator
A64?  Apparently, the shareware author mentions (in the docs) that he was a
co-author of the Go 64 stuff.

palmerc@infonode.ingr.com (Chris Palmer) (10/04/90)

In article <3406@mindlink.UUCP> a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) writes:
>Anyone know if the Go 64 serial interface will work with the shareware emulator
>A64?  Apparently, the shareware author mentions (in the docs) that he was a
>co-author of the Go 64 stuff.

The Go-64! interface (as far as I can tell so far) will work fine with the CLI
utilities (64Dir, 64toAmiga, Amigato64, 64Status, 64Cmd) but WILL NOT work with
the A64 emulator itself.  I have no idea why unless Dugan has including some
key scheme into his adapter box so that you can only use his.

Support for Amiga drive under A64 is fair.  You can load and save, but you can't
use sequential files, read a directory, or any other task that requires the
intelligence of the 1541 instead of the 64.  To test the emulator (to see if the
shareware contribution was fair, IMO it is), I copied some programs from the
1541 to the RAM: device then ran them under A64.  That worked fine as long as
the programs didn't do any fancy disk access.

Preliminary Conclusions:

	o No sound (sigh!)
	o The screen editor is wonderful.  It is much faster than a
          real 64 for cursor movement and typeahead.  Scrolling is a
	  little slow tho'.
	o Simple BASIC programs run about 50-75% speed (maybe a little
  	  better).
	o Using RAM: as a 64 drive yields load speeds about the same as
	  a 1541, but save speeds are tremendously faster (why?).
	o Graphics support is good.
	o I like the Preferences menus better than Go-64!s, but they have
	  too many Are your Sure? requesters.

--
|  Christopher M. Palmer                        #|Quote section| | | | | | ||
/  Intergraph Corporation                       #| | Closed For| |o| | | | |\