[comp.sys.amiga] Disney Animation Studio

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (AMOEBOID) (08/07/90)

Have been playing with the new Disney ANimation Studio the last few
days and have to say I am very impressed.  Leo and Co. did a very
nice job.  The onioning technique (and we were led to believe
"onion" was going to be a game :-)) is very helpful in setting
up the animation in a frame-by-frame manner.  The demos that come with
is are Disney characters and done in a Disney style (and very well
done I might add), and are used with the very extensive tutorial that
accompanies the program.  It comes on 3 disks and includes 2 manuals.
Manuals appear well written and easy to follow (even the disk icons
are clever).  For those of you into cell animations, I would highly
reccommend this program (even if you do not take advantage of the
coloring capabilities and only stick to the line drawings).

Should be on the shelves next Tuesday (8/14/90), so run, don't walk,
to a dealer near you :-).

(Good job Leo)

George Gibeau
(working at Expert Services - the Rejuvenator folks)

--
UUCP:  ucqais.uc.edu!ggibeau  BBS: (513) 721-7977  GT NODE: 006/005
US Snail-Dept of Biology ML 06, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45221

vle@pnet01.cts.com (Vinh Le) (08/24/90)

I know there are problems with piracy, but why is a professional package like
Disney Presents: The Animation Studio copy protected?  The copy protection is
the manual type, ie you must look up a word in the manual and enter it.  This
type of protection pretty much puts a damper on spontaneous creativity- at
least for me.  I don't see how this prevents piracy.  The pirates will surely
have a non-manual copy protected version and the only people who will have to
deal with the word-look-up hassle will be legitimate users.

Why is the animation player that plays back both sound and animation
non-freely redistributable?  I'm refering to the program called "flicker".  I
know that the player that plays back animation only, without sound, is freely
redistributable, so I can't say there's no means of spreading your animations,
but I'd like the sound along with the animation.  So what's the problems?

                                    Vinh Le

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!vle
ARPA: crash!pnet01!vle@nosc.mil
INET: vle@pnet01.cts.com

ewhac@well.sf.ca.us (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) (09/05/90)

In article <4085@crash.cts.com> vle@pnet01.cts.com (Vinh Le) writes:
>I know there are problems with piracy, but why is a professional package like
>Disney Presents: The Animation Studio copy protected?  [ ... ]

	Because Disney absolutely positively demanded it be there.  We tried
to convince them this was Not A Good Idea, but to no avail.

	We did our best to make it as inoffensive as possible.  If you know
the keyboard commands to DPaint, you have an excellent chance of getting
past the requester.

>Why is the animation player that plays back both sound and animation
>non-freely redistributable?

	We used the Sonix music drivers by Mark Riley.  Apparently there is
some piece of weirdness in the licensing agreement that prevents us from
making 'Flicker' freely distributable.

[ General note:  Because of the amount of time it takes to slog through the
net, I don't read all of comp.sys.amiga#?.  Occasionally I search the new
postings for interesting keywords, like 'Disney'.  If you want to be
absolutely certain I see something, mail it to me;  I check my mailbox every
day. ]
Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac
	 "Because you never know who might want to sit in your lap."

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (10/05/90)

I was playing around with the "Disney Animation Studio" at a local
store the other day, and noticed the following:

The program FLICK, which runs animation WITHOUT sound, is freely
distributable. The program FLICKER, wich runs animations WITH sound,
is NOT freely distributable.

What gives????

What good is the program is I can't distribute my animations, with sound,
to others to use and enjoy?

Also, the animation on the "demo-reel" disk, with Donald Duck, is a
stand-alone program. There are no instructions, that I could find, that
tell you how to construct one of these.

BTW this is V1.0.

Can anyone shed some light on this??? Leo, are you listening???

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic