[comp.sys.amiga] The 2.0 workbench

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (douglas m dyer) (10/03/90)

(hope this doesnt get posted twice, I got a "not posted" message the
first time)

I am really interested in the 3000.  I just got a demo of 2.0 and am
really confused.  There are two questions I have...

1) There is a picture in Antic's Amiga+ (vol2 no3 '90) on p.38 of the
   new 2.0 that looks wonderful.  On p.37 it looks almost as bad as my
   old 500.  I could never achieve the workbench like that of p.38
   (excluding the custom backdrop, I am refering to the placement of
   the window gadgets and the 3d scroll bars).  All I could get was what
   was like on p.37 (also like in the new TOASTER edition of AWORLD).
	What would be the customization necessary?  Was the photo on p.38
   a beta and the upgrades downgraded in appearance? I tried all resolutions
   including product. non-inter. (all res. flickered like a mad dog - and
   the 1950 was hooked up to the flicker fixing video output).

2) The cursor seemed to stay at some primitive block resolution no matter
   what I did.  WHy?  Can I set that?

remember, I don't own one yet, so this could be trivial but no one I know
has a 3000 or 2.0, and the only close "dealer" that had one to show me
didn't help much...at all.

Please post or mail me.  I would really appreciate it.

Bye, Doug.

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (10/04/90)

In article <10739@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (douglas m dyer) writes:
>I am really interested in the 3000.  I just got a demo of 2.0 and am
>really confused.  There are two questions I have...

There are no demo versions of 2.0.  Currently you can only purchase
the OS with an A3000.  Versions for the other machines will be
available at some future date.

Where did you get this "demo"?

>1) There is a picture in Antic's Amiga+ (vol2 no3 '90) on p.38 of the

I have not seen the picture.

>2) The cursor seemed to stay at some primitive block resolution no matter
>   what I did.  WHy?  Can I set that?

The pointer is rendered in lo-res, non-interlaced pixels, as it is a sprite.
If you are using a hi-res, interlaced display, each pixel of the pointer
will equal four (2x2) pixels of the display.
Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

palmermg@infonode.ingr.com (Michael G. Palmer) (10/05/90)

In article <14872@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
>In article <10739@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (douglas m dyer) writes:
>>I am really interested in the 3000.  I just got a demo of 2.0 and am
>>really confused.  There are two questions I have...
>
>There are no demo versions of 2.0.  Currently you can only purchase
>the OS with an A3000.  Versions for the other machines will be
>available at some future date.
>
>Where did you get this "demo"?

I find it quite easy to get a demo (= demonstration) of WB2.0
simply by going in my local amiga dealer (and using the A3000 that
is on display.)  What is so hard to figure out about that?