[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Demos

rrizzo@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Robert J Rizzo) (05/27/90)

I am the co-president of the users' group on campus and I am looking for
the best AMIGA demos that show off the machines capabilities.  I am looking
for demos of the magnitude of the walker demos as well as cute little
screen hacks.  My group is having a public demonstration of AMIGA grapics
and sound at the beginning of next semester, I am trying to get all of
the IBM and MAC people on campus to change their attitude about the AMIGA.
If anybody knows of any demos that truly show the full potential of the
AMIGA, PLEASE mail to me.  I want any animation, sound, or an exceptional
DMCS or Sonix song.  If you know of any ftp site that has them send me
the address or if you have one on disk let me know and if I dont have
it I will pay for the disk and the postage.  PLEASE help me I am tired of
all the IBM and MAC people telling me to get a real machine, we'll see
who has the last laugh when I show them the intros to Blood Money and
Wayne Gretzky hockey.  Try doing that on a mac!  Thanks in advance.

Bob Rizzo
Co-president
StonyBrook AMIGA Users

rrizzo@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu

rrizzo@ic.sunysb.edu (Robert J Rizzo) (05/30/90)

In article <9427@sbcs.sunysb.edu> rrizzo@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Robert J Rizzo) writes:

>I am the co-president of the users' group on campus and I am looking for
>the best AMIGA demos that show off the machines capabilities.  I am looking
>for demos of the magnitude of the walker demos as well as cute little
>screen hacks.  My group is having a public demonstration of AMIGA grapics
>and sound at the beginning of next semester, I am trying to get all of
>the IBM and MAC people on campus to change their attitude about the AMIGA.
>If anybody knows of any demos that truly show the full potential of the
>AMIGA, PLEASE mail to me.  I want any animation, sound, or an exceptional
>DMCS or Sonix song.  If you know of any ftp site that has them send me
>the address or if you have one on disk let me know and if I dont have
>it I will pay for the disk and the postage.  PLEASE help me I am tired of
>all the IBM and MAC people telling me to get a real machine, we'll see
>who has the last laugh when I show them the intros to Blood Money and
>Wayne Gretzky hockey.  Try doing that on a mac!  Thanks in advance.

I think I might have touched a few nerves here...I forgot to mention that
this wasn't the only show I planned to have on campus.  This show is only
going to be a public users' group meeting.  I planned to just do this to
fill the meeting time for the first meeting when we come back to school.
As I started collecting the demos I realized that I would be a good idea to
show these demos to more than just the group (considering the fact that just
the digi-view demos alone have converted a few of my IBM friends).  This
graphics demonstration is just to get people on campus familiar with the
AMIGA name, when they see how dynamic the demos are it will peak their
interest and they'll know about the AMIGA when and if I can get CBM down
here do show the real stuff.  I figured that this is a good way to generate
some publicity for the show and for the group. Beleive it or not, most
people on campus could care less about multi-tasking, of course, it's
the old 'sour grapes' syndrome.  They can't have it so they dont want it.
So there, I am not just showing the AMIGA as a 'game-machine' I am merely
demonstrating some of the creative uses for the AMIGA.  I don't think that
it will be all bad , have you seen shadow of the beast? Pretty complex
stuff huh?  Try doing that on a mac or ibm without setting the cpu on
fire!  These intros are exciting and are the best way to spark a persons
interst in a short amount of time, and if I get lucky, I'll leave the
big stuff to CBM to demonstrate since I know little about AMIGA VISION.

Wish me luck.
Bob Rizzo
Co-president
StonyBrook AMIGA Users

rrizzo@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu

dale@b17b.INGR.COM (Dale Rogers) (10/04/90)

I was intoduced to this network just a few days ago, so if this query has
been answered already, excuse me.

I'm an artist and a musician.  I'm looking for a computer system that will
give me MIDI capabilities, animation, rendering, image processing, and
video taping capabilities.  In short I want to produce animated short films.
I've acquired a few demo tapes on the capabilities of the Amiga.  The ones
I've seen aren't that impressive.  Still, I can't help but think that in the
hands of someone that knows what they are doing, it may be what I'm looking
for.

Enough background already.  Does anyone out there know where I can get my hands
on a tape that REALLY show what the Amiga can do?  I work for the Intergraph
Corporation.  A number of people here have Amigas at home (I'm mean...who can
aford at workstation, right?) and love them.  Also, I keep hearing about the
Video Toaster, but NewTek said they don't have a demo to send me. I contacted
RGB Video Creations in Palm Beach Gardens ( they customize entire video systems
for the Amiga. They said that for ~$10,000 you can have a complete S-VHS editing
suite, tested, wired and ready to go.) They said they didn't have a demo tape
they could send me showing there system in action.

I'm a bit perplexed.  I read tons of articles praising the Amiga, but I can't
find a decent example of what everyone says it can do.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  I'm considering getting the A3000, Video
Toaster, and what ever else is necessary for broadcast quality production.
But I'm not getting anything until I see some good examples first.

Judging by some of the mail messages I've read, this is a good place to start.
Thanks in advance.

...Dale
Sorry, no snappy signature yet.

dale@b17b.INGR.COM (Dale Rogers) (10/05/90)

In article <503@b17b.INGR.COM>, dale@b17b.INGR.COM (Dale Rogers) writes:
> I was intoduced to this network just a few days ago, so if this query has
> been answered already, excuse me.
>
> I'm an artist and a musician.  I'm looking for a computer system that will
> give me MIDI capabilities, animation, rendering, image processing, and
> video taping capabilities.  In short I want to produce animated short films.
> I've acquired a few demo tapes on the capabilities of the Amiga.  The ones
> I've seen aren't that impressive.  Still, I can't help but think that in the
> hands of someone that knows what they are doing, it may be what I'm looking
> for.
>
> Enough background already.  Does anyone out there know where I can get my hands
> on a tape that REALLY show what the Amiga can do?  I work for the Intergraph
> Corporation.  A number of people here have Amigas at home (I'm mean...who can
> aford at workstation, right?) and love them.  Also, I keep hearing about the
> Video Toaster, but NewTek said they don't have a demo to send me. I contacted
> RGB Video Creations in Palm Beach Gardens ( they customize entire video systems
> for the Amiga. They said that for ~$10,000 you can have a complete S-VHS editing
> suite, tested, wired and ready to go.) They said they didn't have a demo tape
> they could send me showing there system in action.
>
> I'm a bit perplexed.  I read tons of articles praising the Amiga, but I can't
> find a decent example of what everyone says it can do.
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.  I'm considering getting the A3000, Video
> Toaster, and what ever else is necessary for broadcast quality production.
> But I'm not getting anything until I see some good examples first.
>
> Judging by some of the mail messages I've read, this is a good place to start.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> ...Dale
> Sorry, no snappy signature yet.

	I received one response to this posted message from Glenn Lewis.
	Glenn stated that my mail path is incorrect.  He sucessfully reach
	me with the following mailpath:

	ingr.com!b17b!dale@uunet.uu.net

	As I'm sure it is quite obvious by now, I'm not "up to speed"
	on this network stuff.  If you can't get a message to me via this new
	address. "Hang tight"!!! I'm talking to my systems' management folks
	trying to get educated. My system manager said that the new one
	isn't right either.  Yet, it worked for Glenn.  Isn't life a
	mystery ?  As I find out who and where I am I'll pass it on (such a
	philosopher).

	Other communication avenues are:

	Intergraph
	One Madison Industrial Park
	Huntsville, Al. 35807-4201
	Attn: Dale R. Rogers
	      Mailstop: IW17b5

		or

	Dale R. Rogers
	P.O.Box 6484
	Huntsville, Al 35824

	ph: 205-730-6712  Work
	    205-536-3253  Home (answering machine)

	Thanks to all that have tried to get back to me. Glenn...thanks a
	bunch. The information was great.

	Replies via the newsgroup would be nice until I get the mailpath
	straightened out.

	...Dale (who am I? where am I? What is the meaning of life or at
	least network path paths?) Rogers