[comp.sys.amiga] AMaxII

GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (07/14/90)

     I read an add of AMAX II in a recient AmigaAdWorld, and it said the
 "plus" version of AMAX II would read and write Mac formatted disks on
 a standard Amiga floppy.  Are they doing this?  What's the scoop?

 ----
      F. Michael Theilig  -  The University of Rhode Island at Little Rest
                            GWO110 at URIACC.Bitnet
                            GKZ117 at URIACC.Bitnet

"Gooooood coffee."

arc@desire.wright.edu (07/15/90)

In article <24577@snow-white.udel.EDU>, GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:
>      I read an add of AMAX II in a recient AmigaAdWorld, and it said the
>  "plus" version of AMAX II would read and write Mac formatted disks on
>  a standard Amiga floppy.  Are they doing this?  What's the scoop?
>
>  ----
>       F. Michael Theilig  -  The University of Rhode Island at Little Rest
>                             GWO110 at URIACC.Bitnet
>                             GKZ117 at URIACC.Bitnet
>
> "Gooooood coffee."

  Well, I USED to have a friend on the ST, and THEY have a hardware thing that
reads MAC disks on their MFM floppies.  It is accomplished by turning on/off
the motor in the floppies at certain intervals...

paul@athertn.Atherton.COM (Paul Sander) (07/31/90)

Here is a piece of email sent to me in response to some recent comments on
the A3000 and AMAX.  The person does not have posting capability on Usenet,
so he asked me to pass it on.

From decwrl!umich.edu!bushido!donb Mon Jul 30 16:03:47 1990
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 11:29:14 EDT
From: Donald Burnett <decwrl!umich.edu!bushido!donb>
To: paul@atherton.com
Subject: AMASX II

Hello, just read your comments on the net concerning the use of
AMAX with an A3000. I have had no problems using A-MAX with the
latest Amiga3000s. It does work with 1.3 on the A3000. I have
tested it with a  the dealer demo A3000 (PROBLEMS!!) and a
release A3000. The release machine works fine under 1.3. I havent
tested it with 2.0

As far as AMAX II, I just got an UPGRADE notice for both a software
and (when available) hardware upgrade. I can get the software right
away.

The AMAX II SOFT supports the following:
1) A3000 and WB2.0
2) SOUND (NOT JUST THE BEEP)
3) HD support (Amiga Partitions)
4) SCSI port support (on C= and GVP HDs)
5) ECS (640x960 ECS multiscan, 640x480 NONLACE ECS multiscan)
6) MONITERM Full page display or A2024 monitor
7) Better memory management for Compatibility

AMAX II Plus Hardware
To be available later:
1)MIDI support, Apple Talk
2) Printer port
3) Use of Amiga drives as mac drives.

I cannot post to the NET directly from my site yet, so I would appreciate
if you could place a copy of this message on the net for me.. Hope this
helps out. BTW the Fullpage display is a 1000x800 display with nonlace..
Thanks
donb

--
Paul Sander        (408) 734-9822  | "Passwords are like underwear," she said,
paul@Atherton.COM                  | "Both should be changed often."

DSK@IBM.COM (08/30/90)

Just to let everyone know the status of Amax II, I friend works at
GVP and they just got the release version of Amax II yesterday, so
it should be out in the next few weeks.  GVP's new driver works
with Amax II but you need another small driver from GVP.

doug

AAW151%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (Andy Patrizio) (10/03/90)

Can someone explain the differences between Amax II and II+? At this point no o
ne has said what separates the two programs.

Also, another game question ("Does this guy do anything else with his Amiga??")

When the hell is Moria 4.0 coming out? The authors promised it over a year ago,
 and nothing. I sent them a disk for it, without any acknowledgement in return.
 No one seems to know if and when 4.0 will surface.

--Andy
AAW151@URIACC.BITNET

v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (10/04/90)

   Readysoft claimed that they were going to improve printer support in
AMAX II?  To all who have it, did they?  I am particularly interested in
the Imagewriter emulation for a 9-pin printer.  Do things print out at
the right size now, or are they still compress by 40% (approx. figure)?

                                        Scott Wood

                                  BITNET : v092mgp5@UBVMSD.BITNET
                                INTERNET : v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

AAW151%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (Andy Patrizio) writes:

>Can someone explain the differences between Amax II and II+? At this point no o
>ne has said what separates the two programs.

Amax II+ is for the Amiga 2000. It has a card that plugs into a slot and
lets you have an extra serial port, an apple talk port, and lets you plug
an Amiga external disk drive into another port and use it as a Mac drive.

The regular Amax II is just like the old Amax, just software upgrade. It
is a box that holds the ROMs, plugs into an amiga disk drive port and lets
you plug in an macintosh drive.

Amax II+ is not out yet. Readysoft says November.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,