[comp.sys.amiga] Hyper Replies

prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) (10/05/90)

On the 1st of October I posted, requesting information
about hypertext style products on the Amiga.

A little asking around produced the viewpoint that, apart from
AMIGAVISION which I haven't yet seen, there is little which is
stable in the way of hypertext/hypermedia software. The main alternative
products of note are CanDo and Ultracard. I'll probably wait for
version 2 of Ultracard.

I have heard of a product called DUNE as well, but all I know is
its name.

Here are highlights of the replies I recieved. Thanks for the help.
Meanwhile back to some toolbook scripting :-)

From huebner@aerospace.aero.org Mon Oct  1 20:07 BST 1990

>I've used several hypermedia products so I'll give some brief observations
>on them:

>The least "Hyper" of those that I've used is Deluxe Video III.  Although
>my experience with this program is limited, I can tell you that it does
>make nice interactive presentations, but its not nearly as flexible as
>some of the other packages.  It uses a storyboard-type programming system
>which is quite straightforward and easy to interpret.  It does not
>however have a programming script/langauge that allows you to cope with
>more unique problems.  Its also geared toward a display/browse system.
>Using it to keep databases or balance a checkbook would be completely
>beyond its scope.  It is a great product for synching (sp?) video and
>audio, and is well supported since it is part of the Deluxe line of
>software from Electronic Arts.

>CanDo (Innovatronics) is a more "classic" implementation of hypermedia.
>It has everything you would find in a program like Mac's Hypercard, but
>quite a bit more.  The user interface is bi-level.  There is a button-
>pushing way to program the underlying script (language) or you can pound
>away directly at the script.  It has great usability.  When you use the
>begginer's method of creating (buttons), you can actually watch it write
>the script to perform the functions you want.  In this way, it teaches
>you how to program painlessly.  The user interface can get in the way
>sometimes (slows down the creative process), but overall its a great
>product that blows the socks off hypercard.  Its resulting "stacks" can
>be made "stand-alone" so others can run them without CanDo.  I'd recommend
>a harddisk to speed this puppy up, because floppy disk access can be
>too frequent.

>There is a less-expensive program called Ultracard which does the same
>types of applications with an inferior interface and fewer features.  I
>haven't used it personally, so I'll withold judgement.

>Amiga Vision promises to be the best yet in the hypermedia market.
>Commodore did a great job in bringing this to the market, and the fact
>that it is now being packaged with all new >1 Meg amigas sold (in the
>US, anyway) will certainly make it the de-facto standard.  Using a
>combination of the other two systesm (storyboarding and scripting)
>creates a system that is both simple to use and flexible.  Support for
>Laserdisc players, MIDI, and Dbase files are all part of the package.
>I have not yet used this program to make any "serious" stacks, (of course,
>AV doesn't use the stack/card terminology, but I do for simplicity sake).
>so I cannot comment on the usability in the long run.  But if you want
>to get your feet wet with a package that will be able to meet the majority
>of your needs, I'd recommend this one.  Its only 1 disk (plus an examples/
>extras disk) and is fully compatible with the A3000 in its newest version.

From mikep@hpmwngf.hp.com Tue Oct  2 02:49 BST 1990

	Hi Paul...

	I have experience using UltraCard, CanDo, and AmigaVision software
	for the Amiga.  They are all similar approaches to authoring
	systems... although the most HyperCard-like is UltraCard without
	any doubt.  It has some simple HyperText routines built-in.  The
	earliest versions of this program were buggy as hell, but with
	the release of UltraCard Plus, things are on the right track.
	U.C. also makes use of a UltraTalk language and gives the program
	it's real power.  Documentation is fairly weak though (in comparison
	to Amigavision and CanDo).  AmigaVision has no scripting language at
	all and is wall-to-wall icons and requesters... I think that
	the software is not nearly as flexible as U.C. and is a bit
	difficult to work with when making a complicated project.

	Cando is probably my second choice for authoring... there is a
	small scripting language available that has some nice features, but
	falls short of UltraCard.  It also has wall-to-wall requesters that
	ultimately hamper working with it.... it looks slick, but at the cost
	of ease of use.

	My best pick for a HyperCard style program is UltraCard... although
	UltraCard 2.0 is abbout to arrive... but under a different name.
	It will be called 'Foundation' and will be marketed/sold by
	Impulse (the makers of Turbo Silver).  Foundation 'should' be
	shipping before Christmas.... apparently the program and manual
	is done, it's just a matter of transferring the whole mess to
	Impulse (it was developed at Intuitive technologies in California).

	It should be a great improvement over it's little brother UltraCard.

	Hope this is what you were looking for...

	-Mike Powell-

From: clem@sybase.com (David Clemons)

>The most "hypertext-like" Amiga program I've seen, but not used, is CanDo.
>There's a new Commodore product called AmigaVision that is only icon based with
>no scripting. There's another called Thinker, and one called Ultracard. In the
>area of scripting, there's a program called The Director that has a Basic-like
>control and you can create an graphic interface for it for your applications.

>Sorry I don't own any of these (except Director), so treat this as just a list
>of one's I've seen or heard of.

=David

  Paul Freeman - who doesn't work in HP labs despite
		 his mail address.

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (10/06/90)

In article <28050004@otter.hpl.hp.com> prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) writes:

   A little asking around produced the viewpoint that, apart from
   AMIGAVISION which I haven't yet seen, there is little which is
   stable in the way of hypertext/hypermedia software. The main alternative
   products of note are CanDo and Ultracard. I'll probably wait for
   version 2 of Ultracard.

Your reviewers missed Thinker completely. It's a quite stable
hypertext system, with extensions that allow the user of other media.

Unlike cando/amigavision/ultracard, it _is not_ an authoring system.
As far as I know, there's not a redistributable reader that supports
the more recent options.

	<mike
--
Il brilgue: les toves lubricilleux			Mike Meyer
Se gyrent en vrillant dans le guave,			mwm@relay.pa.dec.com