[comp.sys.amiga] PLEXUS UNIX BOX and Amiga

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (10/03/90)

Hi.  I am about to acquire a PLEXUS 68000 based UNIX box running
Sys V.2 (yech, I know 8-).  I have several questions.
1:  Can I get something akin to DNET to compile on this beast?
2:  Can I get an ethernet board for it?
3:  It has 8 serial ports, so I'm hoping to get SLIP on it.
4:  Any other info anybody may have about this box.

I know that DNET won't compile since V.2 doesn't have sockets.

			Thanks, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin		| Drinking a pan-galactic gargle blaster is
536 South Forest	| like being struck over the head by a large
Apartment 915		| brick of gold with a lemon wrapped around it.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104	|		- Zaphod Beeblebrox
(313) 662-4805

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (10/06/90)

In article <1990Oct3.043213.18022@caen.engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Hi.  I am about to acquire a PLEXUS 68000 based UNIX box running
>Sys V.2 (yech, I know 8-).  I have several questions.
>1:  Can I get something akin to DNET to compile on this beast?

Not very likely .. the reason DNET requires sockets is so that it
can avoid the "blocking" (i.e. hang-until-a-character-arrives) that normally
happens on Unix.  There normally isn't a way to specify that an
I/O channel is able to do asynchronous reads or writes in Unix .. arguably
a lack in its design.

The way select() helps is that it lets the program check the port without
hanging, or to hang for a little while, or to return when *any* I/O
descriptor has characters or any reasonable combination of the above.
System V has never had this, except through add-in packages from
various vendors (ahem) add-in TCP/IP packages :-).  System V r4 will
(I think, haven't read the docs on it yet) have a socket interface in
the native system.  But that's neither here nor there ..

SysVr2 simply didn't have anything similar.  In r3+streams you have
this system call which looks promising: poll().  But it only works
on a "stream", and doesn't work on a real tty device even though the
tty drivers had become streams based.  The interface at the /dev/ttynn
level had gotten the streams-isms stripped away, I suppose.  Sigh..

The closest you get with r2 is to set the VTIM type parameters
using stty (or ioctl() if you're speaking C at the OS).

>2:  Can I get an ethernet board for it?

mebbe tho it might be a bit hard to find one since that machine
probably isn't in production ...

>3:  It has 8 serial ports, so I'm hoping to get SLIP on it.

Plan on porting TCP/IP on your own.  If'n you do port it on your
own you can maybe shove a real select() into it.  On the other hand
I've read through the source for TWG/TCP for 7300/3b1's (a SysVr2 box
based on 68010, should be some similarity to your Plexus) .. All the
code for doing select() on a tty is commented out -- I haven't read
closely enough to see *why* but I suspect that some niggling detail
in the kernel architecture on SysV doesn't support this.  I would
suggest working back and forth between Bach's book on SysV internals
and Karels book on 4.3BSD internals ;-).

Hope this helps ...

[response is in public since I've seen other similar queries in the past]

	David
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>