[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga

derek@rsch.WISC.EDU (Derek Zahn) (01/14/87)

I have recently purchased an Amiga computer, in which I am well pleased.
However, I am curious about several things.

1.  Why is the documentation on CLI, hardware, OS, etc, so ridiculously
hard to find?  This seems like stupidity on the part of Commodore.

2.  How many Amigas have been sold so far (how popular is this machine)?
How are they selling now?  Are rumors of Commodore cancelling the Amiga
in the near future founded?  (The place I bought mine "couldn't find"
a Workbench disk to even boot their demo machines, and they refused to
open any software to demonstrate the Amiga's capabilities.  I bet they
don't sell many of them.  Lots of Macs, though....)

3.  Is it expected that hard disks will be available in the near future
at reasonable prices?  How about CD-ROMs?  How much is a SCSI interface?

4.  Is there anyone out there who writes "commercial" software for the
Amiga?  Does it sell?  How many (approx.) "developers" are there working
on software for this amazing little machine?

Just curious,

derek

--
Derek Zahn @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,sfwin,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!derek

billd@crash.UUCP (Bill D'Camp) (01/16/87)

[]

In answer to your question about "is anyone doing commercial
development for the Amiga?"  The San Diego Amiga Users Group
has a developer's Special Interest Group which meets once a
month and regularly has 30 or more people in attendance.  Most
of these people contend that they are actually doing development.
How many of them are working on commercial products?  I don't know.

There is a great deal of interest on CompuServe and People-Link in
commercial packages for the Amiga, I'm working on something at
present, but have no good feel for when it will hit the marketplace.

Not long ago someone, whose name escapes me, posted a message decrying
the lack of commercial products available for the Amiga.  He noted that
were a number of high quality public domain products for the system, and
that quite a few of them would probably have been commercial successes
if the authors had chosen to go that route.  I would like to reinforce
that persons opinion.  I feel that potential buyers of the Amiga will be
strongly influenced by the software available in local computer stores
when making a decision about which computer to purchase.  Without a
significant increase in the number of commercially available programs
for this excellent machine, we are liable to see a decline in interest
by the general buying public.  The public domain programs are wonderful,
and the people who create them deserve a lot of thanks and credit for
producing generally excellent products, but very few sales people are
going to mention the quantity of public domain software available for
Amy.  What's really needed is a commercial product (not a game) which is
so great that not only will all of the current owners of Amigas buy it, but
it will be strong enough to attract purchases of the machine just so the
software will be available.  I don't know what that program is, yet, but
I'm still looking for it.

Sorry to have carried on so long.

"ADA is a servicemark of the American Dental Association" -- Rob Spray

--
    _   /|
    \`o_O'

(serious self-portrait?)

Opinion?  I thought you said onions.

UUCP:	crash!pnet01!billd
ARPA:	crash!pnet01!billd@nosc

dickow@ui3.UUCP (01/17/87)

/ ui3:comp.sys.amiga / derek@rsch.WISC.EDU (Derek Zahn) /  9:12 am  Jan 14, 1987 /

----------

dickow@ui3.UUCP (01/17/87)

/ ui3:comp.sys.amiga / dickow@ui3.UUCP /  9:17 pm  Jan 16, 1987 /
In comp.sys.amiga / derek@rsch.WISC.EDU (Derek Zahn) asks:

>I have recently purchased an Amiga computer, in which I am well pleased.
>However, I am curious about several things.

>1.  Why is the documentation on CLI, hardware, OS, etc, so ridiculously
>hard to find?  This seems like stupidity on the part of Commodore.
----------

   For CLI information, a tidy little manual can be had in the form of
Bantam Computer Book entitled 'The AmigaDOS Manual'. It explains all
the CLI commands, plus the Ed screen editor, the EDIT line editor, and
a number of features of interest to programmers.
   I found this book at good ol' neighborhood Dalton's Books, and I have
seen copies of this book lying around many shops. As for other Amiga books,
I like 'Inside the Amiga' by John Berry from SAMS. This book has examples
in C and at least is readable. Also, SYBEX publishes 'Amiga Programmer's
Handbook'...now in a new edition to take care of 1.2 os version details.
Finally, I have Halfhill and Brannon's 'Advanced Amiga BASIC' from
COMPUTE! magazine. A fine publication to have even if you don't do much
BASIC programming.
   Actually, I have seen many Amiga books and the official ROM etc. manuals,
all around the sparsely populated Moscow, Idaho environs. I don't think
this info is all that hard to find. You do need access to a good bookstore,
though.

Bob Dickow (...egg-id!ui3!dickow)

akg@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Hughey) (04/01/89)

In <3312@nunki.usc.edu> rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert  allen Jung) writes:
>I'm not sure, but I think the money they made from those 'sticks went to the
>development of the Amiga computer (no wonder it acts like a cheap piece of
>plastic  B-) )...

Yeah, but you wouldn't be saying that if you were playing Space Harrier on
the Amiga (like I usually am).   I don't believe it - despite Sega's usual
policy of releasing inferior versions of their games for non-Sega machines,
they finally came up with a winner for the Amiga (by accident, no doubt).
In my humble opinion, Space Harrier for the Amiga is BETTER than in the
arcades!  Admittedly, on some objects, the detail is inferior, and a couple
of monsters were left out, but a couple of others were added, and some detail
on some of the objects is actually superior!  Also, the sky is a beautiful
multi-hued color which is simply much more beautiful than in the arcades.
But probably the main thing which makes this game one of the all-time winners
for any machine is - the thing's so blindingly fast!  Much faster than the
arcades;  this thing's almost as fast as Afterburner!  I tried playing Space
Harrier in the arcades recently, and I felt like I was playing in slow motion.

In short, any of you that have Amigas out there and like Sega's 3-D rush-at-you
kind of games, BUY THIS GAME!!!

Mike Hughey     (excuse me, I have to go back to playing Space Harrier)

gb1d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Joseph Blake) (04/01/89)

Space Harrier...YEAH!!!

-SNooze
gb1d+@andrew.cmu.edu

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (04/04/89)

akg@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Hughey) writes:
> In my humble opinion, Space Harrier for the Amiga is BETTER than in the
> arcades!

Does anybody know if Sega's versions of "Out-Run" and "Hang-On" for
the Amiga are this good too?

> But probably the main thing which makes this game one of the all-time winners
> for any machine is - the thing's so blindingly fast!  Much faster than the
> arcades;  this thing's almost as fast as Afterburner!

Is Sega going to do Afterburner on the Amiga?

--
Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
INET:   mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu / BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

	"You just don't get off a spaceship and run." --Avon

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (04/04/89)

In article <cYC5QSy00Vsf47rfBy@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>Does anybody know if Sega's versions of "Out-Run" and "Hang-On" for
>the Amiga are this good too?

Personally, I think Outrun is much better in the arcades, and it takes so
LONG to load...

+-------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| John A. Dutka     | WSU Unit #3: Length: The Cow (C):                      |
| Box 2308          | 1 C = the length of an average-sized cow               |
| 100 Institute Rd. | = l(c)                                                 |
| (508)792-1949     +------+--------------------+----------------------------+
| Worcester, MA 01609-2280 | jdutka@wpi.bitnet  |  jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu        |
+--------------------------+--------------------+----------------------------+
| l(c) = Universal Length Constant (length of a cow); h = height, in cows;   |
| v(c) = velocity of cow; t(c) = time of cow in air; x = distance, in feet.  |

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (04/05/89)

In article <cYC5QSy00Vsf47rfBy@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>Does anybody know if Sega's versions of "Out-Run" and "Hang-On" for
>the Amiga are this good too?

	I played Out-Run at the local computer store and it was
	*TERRIBLE*.  It looked like an Atart ST port, and it was
	*SLOW*.

| This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of   |
| any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how           |
| disorganized things really are.                                |

sft@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Scott Thompson) (04/05/89)

Yeah, they trashed OutRun, the Amiga version, it could have been
just like the arcade.  Pissed me off!
  Scott Thompson (IHP 2A-428), AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, Il. 60566

       VOICE: (312)-416-4236     UUCP: ...!att!ihlpa!sft

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (04/06/89)

In article <SFT.89Apr5102001@ihlpa.ATT.COM> sft@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Scott Thompson) writes:
>Yeah, they trashed OutRun, the Amiga version, it could have been
>just like the arcade.  Pissed me off!

That's funny, I've seen it in several Amiga dealers' shops!

+-------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| John A. Dutka     | WSU Unit #2: Velocity: The CowMove (CM):               |
| Box 2308          | 1 CM = terminal velocity of cow falling off Alden Hall |
| 100 Institute Rd. | = x/t(c) = h*l(c)/t(c)                                 |

c152-cb@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Vince Lee) (04/08/89)

In article <1165@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>In article <cYC5QSy00Vsf47rfBy@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>>Does anybody know if Sega's versions of "Out-Run" and "Hang-On" for
>>the Amiga are this good too?
>>
>	I played Out-Run at the local computer store and it was
>	*TERRIBLE*.  It looked like an Atart ST port, and it was
>	*SLOW*.

I agree.  Bleah!...

On the other hand, Super Hang-On for the Amiga is GREAT!!!!!   Clearly the
fastest/most exciting driving-type game I've tried.  It even works well with
and '020!  I've been toying with the idea of building/buying some sort of
steering apparatus just for it.

by the way, if the normal driving looks good, turn on the nitro...

-Vince Lee

-

Eric_A_Tripp@cup.portal.com (04/14/89)

  Yes, there is a version of Afterburner being done in Europe by Jez San, the
guy who wrote Star Glider I and II among other things. If anyone can make a
faithful arcade conversion, he can! I too have played the Amiga version of
Super Hangon, Space Harrier, and Outrun. I liked all but OutRun. Another good
game is Alien Syndrome although the Amiga version has fewer levels...boo hiss.

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar27.005538.7179@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>FACT: March 1989, at AmiExpo Gail Wellington announced sales of around
>800,000 Amigas total, most people were estimating around 1,000,000 at
>that time.
>
>FACT: April 1990, at AmiExpo Gail Wellington announced sales of over
>1,500,000 Amigas.
>
>	I can do basic subtraction, can you?

Heh, heh! So you're driving a DeLorean like the guy in Back To The Future, eh?

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

Stephane.Champagne@f88.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Stephane Champagne) (07/06/90)

Hey dudez....

Well i want to know if you have some 1-800 Numbers ... for Canada Areas
... anyway leave me a private mail .... anyway later!

(514)-355-2626 (my voice)
(514)-522-6994 (our bbs)

Stephane Champagne Was there

--
Stephane Champagne - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: alberta!dvinci!weyr!88!Stephane.Champagne

news@ut-emx.uucp (news) (10/07/90)

utilities, graphics and sound files (as well as animations.) Also anything
that relates to Amax or the Transformer.  Please reply by e-mail.
From: fly@walt.cc.utexas.edu (neil aggarwal)