[comp.sys.amiga] RKM's

S.J.Raybould@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Simon Raybould) (09/25/90)

Can someone please clear my mind on this..

I was under the belief that the latest release of docs from Commodore was
the RKM 1.3 manuals. I thought that this consited of three books :

		RKM Includes & Autodocs

		RKM Libs & Devs

		Intuition refrence manual

		Hardware reference manual

Yesterday, I rang "Gordon Harwoods" computers (UK) to order the hardware ref
manual and was told that Libs & devs was no longer in print ??

ME>  Do you have a copy of the Amiga hardware refrence manual in stock

GHC> No.

ME>  Do you have Libs & Devs ? (to see if they actually sell books as the first
     response was a bit negative).

GHC> That's no longer in print.

ME>  What do you mean ?

GHC> It's been replaced by the new ones.

ME>  What new ones, is the 2.0 documentation out yet ?

GHC> No its the 1.3 documentation. Everthing is in the intuition manual and
	 anything else is in the other one.

ME>  The other one ?

GHC> Yes the hardware manual.

by this time the man at GHC was starting to get annoyed so I just agreed with
him and said I would call later in the week.

What is this man talking about ?
Is he a total idiot ? or does he know something I dont ?

Any information gratfully appreciated.

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
|   British Telecom Fulcrum  | name : Simon John Raybould   {^.^}   |
|   Fordrough Lane           | path : sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk   \~/    |
|   Birmingham               +-----------+--------------------------|
|   B9 5LD                   |   //      | AMIGA B2000              |
|   ENGLAND                  | \X/AMIGA  | Lattice C V5.05          |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (09/25/90)

In article <C-L%DR+@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk> S.J.Raybould@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Simon Raybould) writes:
>Can someone please clear my mind on this..
>
>I was under the belief that the latest release of docs from Commodore was
>the RKM 1.3 manuals. I thought that this consited of three books :
>
>		RKM Includes & Autodocs
>
>		RKM Libs & Devs
>
>		Intuition refrence manual
>
>		Hardware reference manual

The 1.1 set (white with a coloured stripe) consisted of
	RKM: Exec
	RKM: Libraries and Devices (with autodocs and includes)
	Intuition Reference Manual
	Hardware Reference Manual

For 1.3, the manuals were reorganized along more logical lines.
The 1.3 set (various shades of blue) consists of

	Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual: Libraries and Devices
		(includes Intuition)
		ISBN 0-201-18187-8

	Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual: Includes and AutoDocs
		ISBN 0-201-18177-0

	Amiga Hardware Reference Manual
		ISBN 0-201-18157-6

>|   British Telecom Fulcrum  | name : Simon John Raybould   {^.^}   |

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (09/25/90)

In article <C-L%DR+@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk> S.J.Raybould@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Simon Raybould) writes:
>Can someone please clear my mind on this..
>
>I was under the belief that the latest release of docs from Commodore was
>the RKM 1.3 manuals. I thought that this consited of three books :
>
>		RKM Includes & Autodocs
>		RKM Libs & Devs
>		Intuition refrence manual
>		Hardware reference manual
>
>Yesterday, I rang "Gordon Harwoods" computers (UK) to order the hardware ref
>manual and was told that Libs & devs was no longer in print ??

I will assume that the same books are sold in UK as in the U.S.
The latest ROM Kernel manuals are those that document 1.3. They are
the blue Addison Wesley manuals. The 'set' consists of:

	Amiga ROM KERNAL Reference Manual - Includes and Autodocs
	Amiga ROM KERNEL Reference Manual - Libraries and Devices
	Amiga HARDWARE Reference Manual

The old Intuition Manual is now included in the Libraries and Devices
manual.

>|   British Telecom Fulcrum  | name : Simon John Raybould   {^.^}   |
>|   Fordrough Lane           | path : sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk   \~/    |

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer @ Commodore-Amiga Inc.                   |
 | bj@cbmvax.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj   GEnie: B.J. |
 | "Huh?"  - Lao-Tse                                                         |

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (09/28/90)

In article <14636@cbmvax.commodore.com> peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
>The 1.1 set (white with a coloured stripe) consisted of
>The 1.3 set (various shades of blue) consists of

What about the (White and Black) set, no colors?.  Was that
for 1.0 or 0.9 or what?  The 1.3s are a big improvement over
those old ones.  The B&W set I got had six manuals: Hardware
Ref., Intuition, RKM vols 1 and 2, AmigaDOS Tech Ref., and
I think the last was a Developers ref.  I wore 'em out.

>     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

Todd M. Lewis, programmer at large.

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep27.211219.6266@uncecs.edu> utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
>In article <14636@cbmvax.commodore.com> peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
>>The 1.1 set (white with a coloured stripe) consisted of
>>The 1.3 set (various shades of blue) consists of
>
>What about the (White and Black) set, no colors?

Those are 1.0 Manuals.  They had the same arrangement (volumes) as
the 1.1 set, plus a trio of skinny volumes that later were published
by Bantam as the AmigaDOS book.

hytandog@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Hakan Yildiray Tandogan) (10/02/90)

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) writes:

>I will assume that the same books are sold in UK as in the U.S.
>The latest ROM Kernel manuals are those that document 1.3. They are
>the blue Addison Wesley manuals. The 'set' consists of:

>	Amiga ROM KERNAL Reference Manual - Includes and Autodocs
>	Amiga ROM KERNEL Reference Manual - Libraries and Devices
>	Amiga HARDWARE Reference Manual

>The old Intuition Manual is now included in the Libraries and Devices
>manual.

BTW: Does anybody know where I can find info about that
AmigaDos (the library)? I have bought the Includes &
Autodocs and the Libraries and Devices manuals. The result:
NO word about dos.library. Where is the exact description
of the DOS-Packet system, how do handlers look like or
file systems? And one special question - how does an Amiga
network file system have to be built and how to be hooked
into DOS (I read the includes - I KNOW there are varaibles
for that purpose. And they didn't look like DOS privates!)

--
#include <std_discalimer.h>    Hakan 'Elric' Tandogan                 ///
#include <clever_saying.h>                                           ///

aoe@hpfcso.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) (10/08/90)

hytandog@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Hakan Yildiray Tandogan) writes:

> BTW: Does anybody know where I can find info about that
> AmigaDos (the library)? I have bought the Includes &
> Autodocs and the Libraries and Devices manuals. The result:
> NO word about dos.library. Where is the exact description
> of the DOS-Packet system, how do handlers look like or
> file systems? And one special question - how does an Amiga

Yes, I noticed that too.  If you get the 1.3 NDU from CBM, it's documented
in the file LibrariesA-K/dos.doc on your Autodocs1.3 disk.

 - Alexander Elkins (aoe@hpfiaoe.HP.COM)