[comp.sys.amiga] DMCS Postscript Printing?

sjk@ut-emx.uucp (bob) (10/04/90)

Greetings World,

I'm looking for a way to get hi-quality music output (hardcopy)
from DMCS.  DMCS seems to just have a print score option which send
the score to the printer just fine.  But, I'd like to be able to
print the file out on a postscript laser printer (I also have acces
to an HP model) instead of my dot matrix printer.  These laser
printers, however, are not connected to my Ami, so I'd need to save
the score to disc as a postscript (or HP language) graphic, then
upload it to the laser printer systems for printing.  Any ideas?
This is for a friend's wedding who wants a printout of some of the
music he will be having during the service.

Thanks,
Scot  sjk@astro.as.utexas.edu
      sjk@emx.utexas.edu

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (10/08/90)

In article <37899@ut-emx.uucp> sjk@ut-emx.uucp (bob) writes:

>Greetings World,
>
>I'm looking for a way to get hi-quality music output (hardcopy)
>from DMCS.  DMCS seems to just have a print score option which send
>the score to the printer just fine.  But, I'd like to be able to
>print the file out on a postscript laser printer (I also have acces
>to an HP model) instead of my dot matrix printer.  These laser
>printers, however, are not connected to my Ami, so I'd need to save
>the score to disc as a postscript (or HP language) graphic, then
>upload it to the laser printer systems for printing.  Any ideas?
>This is for a friend's wedding who wants a printout of some of the
>music he will be having during the service.

My mother is a "semi-pro" (or, at least, real-serious-about-it) composer
of music in modern-classical style.  She has an Amiga, bought mostly
for editing her compositions, and she started out with DMCS.

She found DMCS to be somewhat adequate but lacking in a few details
of music notation which she likes to use.  I'm afraid it's a bit
too esoteric for me to follow .. in particular the "slurs" don't
work very well.  The general form of the user interface is fine.
And the built-in 4-channel sound is part of what sold her on the
system -- she can preview without having to buy a synthesizer.  This
makes the setup a lot more affordable than any of the other systems
since they all pretty much require having a synth of some sort.

After a year or so of DMCS, Dr. T's Copyist came on the market.  I'm
reasonably sure she's found money to buy that and is happier with it.
If not, she's still dreaming about getting that ..

But, to your problem ..

I've often thought one could put in the postscript printer driver
then use that technique which pushes the printer output to a disk
file.  et voila you have postscript in a disk file which assumably
is what you printed.  Then you put it on a disk and carry it to
some place where there's a printer.  This even gives a use for
Cross-DOS since most places where there are printers, the printer
is hooked up to something which reads MS-DOG floppies..

But I've never tried this out
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>