[comp.sys.amiga] Process protection in 2.0?

jburnes@crash.cts.com (Jim Burnes) (10/03/90)

Anyone:

Does anyone know if process or memory protection is going to be
incorporated into Workbench 2.0.  I think its about time the
systems people started taking advantage of the more advanced
capabilities of the 030 and 040.  I get really tired of listening
to Jerry Poor-Nelly bitch about GURUs and I think its time to
patch it.  Also...what about virtual memory support.  I'd
really love to have a 68040 amiga with 2.0 supporting memory
protection and virtual memory.

Any ideas?

Thanx in Advance

Jim Burnes
--------------------------

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (10/08/90)

In article <4789@crash.cts.com> jburnes@crash.cts.com (Jim Burnes) writes:

> Does anyone know if process or memory protection is going to be
> incorporated into Workbench 2.0.  I think its about time the
> systems people started taking advantage of the more advanced
> capabilities of the 030 and 040.

Let me quickly squeltch a rumor here. Workbench 2.0 is already out the door,
and virtual memory or memory protection is not included with it.

Virtual memory is not a big deal to implement, but virtual memory cannot be
allocated by default. Some special rules apply when accessing virtual memory.
Multi-tasking must not be prevented through a Forbid(), interrupts must not be
diabled, and the CPU must not be in supervisor mode.

Memory protection on the other hand is quite another story. In order to have
memory protection which identifies a crashing task, we would have to implement
parameter checking. In order to have memory protection which recovers from a
crashing task, we have to implement resource tracking. Then come backwards
compatibility issues, which I'd rather not talk about.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants    Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may destroy a statue,  but they cannot    Phone:   (215) 431-9327