[comp.sys.amiga] Summary: A1000 vs A500

zippy@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Patrick Tufts) (10/04/90)

Thans go to all of you who sent replies to my A500 vs A1000
question.

This is a summary of the information I got.

Advantages of A1000 (over A500)

	o detachable keyboard
	o power supply

Disadvantages of A1000

	o not supported
	   - if the keyboard goes, who ya gonna call?
	o OS 2.0 may not work, and what about 3.0, 4.0, etc?
	o difficult to upgrade to 1M Agnes and Super Denise
	   - Rejuvenator costs $425
	o can't display HalfBrite mode (but this isn't used
	  except in the odd paint program)

Advantages of A500

	o Comm. takes it into consideration when they write
	  new OS's
	o easier to upgrade to 1M Ag and Sup. Denise
	o Current stuff tested on them (not on A1000) for
	  compatibility
	o replacement parts and service available

Disadvantages of A500

	o power supply (easily replaced, 'tho)
	o all-in-one unit

-----------------------

If you have any comments or clarifications, send 'em to me.

--Pat
--

			This .sig space for rent.

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct04.004347.18588@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>,
zippy@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Patrick Tufts) writes:
|> 	o can't display HalfBrite mode (but this isn't used
|> 	  except in the odd paint program)

Not true.  My old 1000 could do HalfBrite.  Some of the 1000s
could and some couldn't.

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct04.004347.18588@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> zippy@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Patrick Tufts) writes:
>Thans go to all of you who sent replies to my A500 vs A1000
>question.
>
>This is a summary of the information I got.
>
>Advantages of A1000 (over A500)
>Disadvantages of A1000
>	o can't display HalfBrite mode (but this isn't used
>	  except in the odd paint program)

   Bzzzzt!  Mine does.  Or at least in DPaint in 64 color mode
  it looks like 32 colors and 32 half tones.....  I thought that
  it was only the very early A1000's that couldn't.  I got mine
  in May '86.

>Advantages of A500
>	o Current stuff tested on them (not on A1000) for
>	  compatibility

   Bzzzzt!  I do.  All I own is an A1000, as do many other programmers.
  So, by definition it is tested.  I have to go find A500's and A2000's
  to test on..... :)

>Disadvantages of A500
>
>--Pat
>--
>
>			This .sig space for rent.

Joe Peck
peck@ral.rpi.edu

Amiga.... Why bother with anything else?

blgardne@javelin.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (10/07/90)

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) writes:

>In article <1990Oct04.004347.18588@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> zippy@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Patrick Tufts) writes:
>>Disadvantages of A1000
>>	o can't display HalfBrite mode (but this isn't used
>>	  except in the odd paint program)

>   Bzzzzt!  Mine does.  Or at least in DPaint in 64 color mode
>  it looks like 32 colors and 32 half tones.....  I thought that
>  it was only the very early A1000's that couldn't.  I got mine
>  in May '86.

I also got my A1000 in May '86, and it did not support Extra Half Brite.
The numbers I've heard say about 1/3 to 1/2 of the A1000's sold did not
have EHB. And the time of purchase seems to have little to do with the
EHB Denise being present.

Of course on mine, I sprung for the newer (Rev 6) Denise with EHB. It
cost me about $60, and was the worst money I ever spent (Well, except
for Diga!, but that belongs in the "worst terminal program ever"
competition. (Why is it that programs with a "!" in the name are
completely worthless?)) because the only programs that used EHB were two
tests for the EHB feature. By the time programs supporting EHB came out,
I'd bought an A2000.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP                       BIX: blaine_g

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (10/08/90)

zippy@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Patrick Tufts) writes:

>	o not supported
>	   - if the keyboard goes, who ya gonna call?

Any electrician should be able to fix the keyboard. Sheesh, its only a mess
of contacts and a small board.

>	o OS 2.0 may not work, and what about 3.0, 4.0, etc?

OS 2 will probably not work unless you get yours rejuvenated. Its a trade off.

>	o can't display HalfBrite mode (but this isn't used
>	  except in the odd paint program)

Some of the later model 1000s did have halfbrite mode.