[comp.sys.amiga] 64 emulator

olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) (09/27/90)

I just uploaded the 64 emulator to the "New Xanth".  I changed it from
a warp file to an Lharc file.  Enjoy!

				Todd

--
 olson@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | "When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant
 olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | I could hardly stand to be around him. When I

S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) (09/28/90)

Hello,

     For those expecting the emulator to run under the the 68020/030 you can
forget it.  The author has left it out of the disk.  The program available
only runs on the 68000 and 68010(not sure).  The 020/030 version is available
from the author, but is not included.  It may not actually be done either.
     If you are interested in it, get it.  But those of you who have 3000s
don't expect for it to work.

||To steal from one is plagiarism.  To steal from many is research.    ||
||___________________________________               ---UNKNOWN---      ||
||                                   |      / /                        ||
||---Brian Wright                    |     / /                         ||
||---s36666wb@etsuacad.etsu.edu      | \ \/ /  Only Amiga              ||
||---Commercial Artist and Amigaphile|  \/\/      Makes It Possible!!  ||

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (09/28/90)

In article <31728@nigel.ee.udel.edu> S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:
>Hello,
>
>     For those expecting the emulator to run under the the 68020/030 you can
>forget it.  The author has left it out of the disk.  The program available
>only runs on the 68000 and 68010(not sure).  The 020/030 version is available
>from the author, but is not included.  It may not actually be done either.
>     If you are interested in it, get it.  But those of you who have 3000s
>don't expect for it to work.

This is not intended to be a flame Brian...

What I want to say is that I see a lot of people complaining that the author
of this new emulator didn't include the version for the higher-end processors.

If you read the documentation, you'll note that you can get these versions
just by sending in the registration fee.  You also get an interface for C64
peripherals.  If you have a problem with sending in the registration fee,
well, this guy has worked pretty hard...

I laughed when I heard that he had done it that way.  It's the perfect way
to keep people honest.  You have to realize that this software is NOT PD.
It's SHAREWARE, and that means you're supposed to pay for it.

I just downloaded the package, although I haven't tried it out yet.  If I
find it useful (which I most likely won't since I just deep-sixed my C64
stuff when I got an Amiga) I'll send the money.  I still would like to
see more products released in such a fashion.  I can't complain... :-)

>||To steal from one is plagiarism.  To steal from many is research.    ||
>||___________________________________               ---UNKNOWN---      ||
>||                                   |      / /                        ||
>||---Brian Wright                    |     / /                         ||
>||---s36666wb@etsuacad.etsu.edu      | \ \/ /  Only Amiga              ||
>||---Commercial Artist and Amigaphile|  \/\/      Makes It Possible!!  ||

Greg

             Disclaimer:  "Who me?  Surely you must be mistaken!"         _ _
"The lunatic is in the hall.  The lunatics are in my hall.        AMIGA! ////
 The paper holds their folded faces to the floor,                       ////
 And every day the paperboy brings more." -- Pink Floyd           _ _  ////
                                                                  \\\\////
        Greg Harp               greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu            \\XX//
Stolen from an idea by es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu [Ethan Solomita]:
      execute (Saddam_Hussein);                oil_prices++;

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (09/28/90)

In article <31728@nigel.ee.udel.edu> S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:
>Hello,
>
>     For those expecting the emulator to run under the the 68020/030 you can
>forget it.  The author has left it out of the disk.  The program available
>only runs on the 68000 and 68010(not sure).  The 020/030 version is available
>from the author, but is not included.  It may not actually be done either.
>     If you are interested in it, get it.  But those of you who have 3000s
>don't expect for it to work.

                            ^^^^^^^^

Nope The Prog Checks the CPU and refuses to TRY to run on anything BUT a 68000

However they SAY they (in the Docs) have versions for the Other Chips,
and supposubbly the 68010 version is Faster (by a good deal) then the
68000 version, Thus I sent in My $28.
Supposubly the '20 version goes 100% C64 speed, the '30 version 200%

This is a BETTER program then The ONES ya can BUY!

Hopefully it will have Better (Read SOME) support.

C-ya.
.

--
yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York

This Space For Rent....

olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) writes:

>I just uploaded the 64 emulator to the "New Xanth".  I changed it from
>a warp file to an Lharc file.  Enjoy!

When you people upload stuff to FTP sites, and tell us about it, could
you at least tell us the name of the file to make it easier for us poor
folks who have to rely on bitftp to get files? Now, I have to send off a
message to bitftp to get a directory of abcfd, wait 3 days, go thru the
directory, find out it's in some subdirectory, send off another request
to get a dir of that subdirectory, wait 3 days, find the right file name
and then send off for the file, wait 3 days and hope it comes back.
[violins playing in the background and lots of "awwwwwwww!"'s] :-)

See? you could have saved me a week of waiting if you just gave us the
filename :-)

[Will this file be sent out on comp.binaries.amiga also?]

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (09/28/90)

>In article <31728@nigel.ee.udel.edu> S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
>(Brian Wright) writes:
>>Hello,
>>
>>     For those expecting the emulator to run under the the 68020/030 you can
>>forget it.  The author has left it out of the disk.  The program available
>>only runs on the 68000 and 68010(not sure).  The 020/030 version is available
>>from the author, but is not included.  It may not actually be done either.

My congrats to the author of this emulator. If it works even REMOTELY well,
then he deserves he registration fee just on genberal principle.

Whil it is difficult for the '030/'020/'010 folks to be sure , I think that
you will be able to find someone with a 6800 to test it with.

Be aware that if this emulator is any good it could be a serious factor in
many A500 purchases.... if a salesman can say "and there is a C64 emulator
for it that you can HAVE" and take a moment to explain the shareware
concept it will help.

When I was a salesman , PD and shareware was often the "over the edge"
factor. I would be tempted to say that Fred Fish has sold more Amigas than
any other single person.

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
=Also the mantra and spells, the obeah and the wanga; the work of the wand=
=and the work of the sword: these shall he learn and teach.               =
=       He must teach; but he may make severe the ordeals.                =
=========== Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ===================
=    NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either         =
=    Xanadu Enterpises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.          =
=== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====

greendog@max.physics.sunysb.edu (Michael D Fischer) (09/30/90)

I have been playing around with the C64 emulator for a few days now
and have a couple of comments.  First of all, it's kinda slow on my
A500 (to be expected I suppose...)  There is one HUGE annoying bug
that affects me:  When exiting A64-prefs, it brings up the requestor
that asks "Are you sure you want to exit?"  If I select yes, I am
returned to A64, but the requestor usually doesn't disappear.  Could
this be a problem caused by my Amiga's configuration?  I use morerows
with overscan, which is about the only thing that I can think of that
would cause the problem.

Michael
-        Michael D. Fischer       |   greendog@max.physics.sunysb.edu   -
-      S.U.N.Y. at Stony Brook    |   mfische@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu     -

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (09/30/90)

labb-2ae@e260-2d.berkeley.edu writes:
> The only drawback, ( the reason that I will not be using this program ), is
> that it won't emulate a virtual 1541 / 1581 on an amiga drive.

I have a feeling, this won't be that hard to implement...considering, that the
shareware emulator multitasks (taking advantage of Amiga system routines?), and
could conceivably make use of a virtual drive similar to that of fmsdisk
(simulating 880K Amiga floppies on a hard drive or on RAM:)

umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) (09/30/90)

Has anyone used this new 64 emulator?  Maybe someone can post a review
on it.

(So this is part of the wrong thread, but I'd like to thank people for
their suggestions of using the emulator from Readysoft to read 1581
disks on the Amiga...however, since I only have one or two disks of
text files that I would like (ie. non-essential) on my Amiga, it's not
really worth the investment.  Perhaps this new shareware emulator
is what I could be looking for?)

     Daryl Turner
       <umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep30.073030.17993@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) writes:
> Has anyone used this new 64 emulator?  Maybe someone can post a review
> on it.

[extra stuff deleted]

This emulator is *very* good at emulating a 64, the only drawback is that
if you are using a 68000 (such as myself) it is extremely slow.  Even
3 megs of ram didn't seem to help speed it up.  I decided to try out an
old favorite, Choplifter.  It ran fine, but was just too slow, I'd say
at the most 20% of the normal speed.  I may have something configured
wrong, anybody had better luck?

As for the features, it has the ability to define drives 8-11 as either
a 64 device, or an Amiga device (ram, df0, dh0, etc.).  For total
compatability with the 64, a program is included to make actual copies
of the 64's rom and put them into a file for A64 to use.

To use the C-64's drives (eg 1541) you need to register yourself by
sending the author $25 (+3 for shipping/handling) and he will send
you a device you can plug into your parallel port.  The device will
let you plug your 1541 into it (or 1581 as you mentioned).

The program multitasks and also has the ability to freeze any 64 program
running and allow you go into the setup menu where you can do various
things like change control of the serial & parallel ports between the
Amiga & A64, control of the joyports, ability to swap ports (so that those
games that insist on using port1 will now use port2), ability to save
the current screen displayed to an IFF file, ability to change the
color palate (still under development).

Though it does support sound at the moment, it says in the manual that
it will be in the next release.  Also, this particular version only runs
under a 68000.  If you want the other versions for faster machines you
need to register for it.

Anybody else have anything to say about this new emulator?

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/01/90)

> Though it does support sound at the moment, it says in the manual that
> it will be in the next release.  Also, this particular version only runs

Oops! I meant to say it does NOT support sound at the moment...
Silly me :-)

labb-2ae@e260-2d.berkeley.edu (Joe C.) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep30.073030.17993@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) writes:
> Has anyone used this new 64 emulator?  Maybe someone can post a review
> on it.

[stuff deleted]

I've been using the "64 Emulator 2" from Readysoft.  I thought I'd ftp this
new one and give it a try.

Two things about this emulator impresses me.  It is twice as fast as
Readysoft's version ( compared on a stock 68000 ), and it multitasks. I
don't know what the author did to achieve this, but it's good.

Besides, that, both emulators will do pretty much the same thing, but I
haven't tried a many C64 programs yet.

The only drawback, ( the reason that I will not be using this program ), is
that it won't emulate a virtual 1541 / 1581 on an amiga drive.

For example, in Readysoft's version, I can declare any amiga device
(including directories in any floppy or hard disk) as a 1541 emulator; so
when I issue the command:

open 15,8,15,"N0:testdisk,xx"
close 15

A file is created in that directory, roughly 170K, which basically represents
the 1541.  So now, if I use ANY 1541 DOS commands:

load "$0",device number; or rename0; scratch0;  (including u1, m-w,), etc.

the emulator will access that file.  The advantage to this Readysoft's
method is that I can have several virtual 1541's in my ram or my hardrive,
and just switch( from within the emulator ) to any one.   I have all of
my old infocom games on virtual 1541 drives.  And when I put them in
ram:, there is no disk access!  (Needless to say, this is A LOT faster than
acessinng the real 1541.

This is the only feature that I find lacking in the Shareware version of the
emulator, but if this is not big deal, and you'll be using the real 1541
for most of the time, then by all means use the shareware version.

-jc

labb-2ae@web.berkeley.edu

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (10/01/90)

In article <3198@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
> >I just uploaded the 64 emulator to the "New Xanth".
>
> When you people upload stuff to FTP sites, and tell us about it, could
> you at least tell us the name of the file to make it easier for us poor
> folks who have to rely on bitftp to get files? Now, I have to send off a
> message to bitftp to get a directory of abcfd, wait 3 days, go thru the
> directory, find out it's in some subdirectory, send off another request...

Why not just get /FILES.Z, which contains a list of all the files
available from abcfd20, in reverse cronological order?  It's updated
nightly, and could save you some time...

	...tad

Bill.Frandsen@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (10/01/90)

With all this talk about the "bad" versions of the 64 emulator that
were uploaded to abcfd20, I would like to state that I obtained the
program on Friday (September 28th) around 9 am eastern time.  The file
was named "a64.lzh" at that time, and had a length of 201xxx bytes in
length.  Upon downloading unto my Amiga, it has a filesize of 205058 bytes.

All the files were there, and they all worked (including the font files).

I see now that there are 2 files on abcfd20, one the same length of the
original archive, now called "thea64package.lzh", and another called
"a64.lhw" or something similar but about 50+ k larger.

Below is the lharc -v listing of my archive, which appears to work fine.
Compare it (and the checksums) against yours to see what files are corrupted.

----------

Listing of archive:  'sys:archives/a64v100n.lzh'
Original Packed Ratio[  Date     Time   Type ] CRC  Name
-------- ------  --- [-------- -------- -----] ---- ------------
     894    353  61% 07DC TheA64Package.info
      90     85   6% A298 TheA64Package/.info
   92036  39527  58% 65ED TheA64Package/A64
     332    118  65% 31E4 TheA64Package/A64.config
    7354   1234  84% D79B TheA64Package/A64.info
     894    351  61% CD89 TheA64Package/A64Utilities.info
    8192   1148  86% 9A10 TheA64Package/BASIC.data
     170    128  25% 97AA TheA64Package/InitA64
    2820   1594  44% 5F4E TheA64Package/InstallA64Font
    2338    414  83% 1FAA TheA64Package/InstallA64Font.info
    8192   1036  88% DA59 TheA64Package/KERNAL.data
   16004   5375  67% 5138 TheA64Package/Lic
  143203  47227  68% 91F8 TheA64Package/Manual
    2667    479  83% 480D TheA64Package/Manual.info
    5176   3084  41% 30CF TheA64Package/PrintFile
    2278    237  90% 3F77 TheA64Package/PrintFile.info
     827    480  42% 006B TheA64Package/ReadMe
    2676    497  82% B379 TheA64Package/ReadMe.info
    2721    832  70% 20A2 TheA64Package/Registration.form
    2678    491  82% 08C9 TheA64Package/Registration.form.info
  132956  46160  66% 07EA TheA64Package/ROM
   82300  10296  88% FD13 TheA64Package/Title
    4096   1436  65% 783C TheA64Package/64Fonts/CharROM.64font
    1486    705  53% 8728 TheA64Package/64Prgs/64Colors
    1179    676  43% B291 TheA64Package/64Prgs/SaveROMs
    2168    795  64% C690 TheA64Package/A64Utilities/!.info
      18     18   0% 1896 TheA64Package/A64Utilities/.info
    9336   4997  47% 2EFE TheA64Package/A64Utilities/64Cmd
   13584   5326  61% 58F9 TheA64Package/A64Utilities/64Dir
    8612   4723  46% 171B TheA64Package/A64Utilities/64Print
    8648   4756  46% BBEC TheA64Package/A64Utilities/64Status
   11156   5745  49% 3DA7 TheA64Package/A64Utilities/64ToAmiga
   11012   5716  49% CB5D TheA64Package/A64Utilities/AmigaTo64
    5868   3340  44% 0ABC TheA64Package/A64Utilities/Pet2ASCII
    5720   3246  44% 0F1A TheA64Package/A64Utilities/StripLoadAddr
     264     25  91% 3E1A TheA64Package/Fonts/A64.font
     732    503  32% 17F3 TheA64Package/Fonts/A64/6
-------- ------  ---
  600677 203153  67%       37 file(s)
Operation successful

----------
Also, someone mentioned that LHARC cannot archive subdirectories.  It
certainly can.  You may either type each directory separately, i.e.:

lharc a ram:foo.lzh dh0:a64package/* dh0:a64package/font/*   ....etc

or simply CD to dh0: and then to grab all the files below in the directory,

lharc -ra ram:foo.lzh a64package/*

and it will recursively add all files and directories starting with a64package.

     894
--

eric@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) (10/01/90)

In article <2703699d-2d85.2comp.sys.amiga-1@tronsbox.xei.com> tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) writes:
>Be aware that if this emulator is any good it could be a serious factor in
>many A500 purchases.... if a salesman can say "and there is a C64 emulator
>for it that you can HAVE" and take a moment to explain the shareware
>concept it will help.

Great.  Now who's going to explain the concept to the salesmen?

1/2 :-)

--
---------------------------------------
Eric Kennedy                    eric@eklektik.pgh.pa.us

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) writes:

>In article <3198@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>> When you people upload stuff to FTP sites, and tell us about it, could
>> you at least tell us the name of the file to make it easier for us poor

>Why not just get /FILES.Z, which contains a list of all the files
>available from abcfd20, in reverse cronological order?  It's updated
>nightly, and could save you some time...

Will do. It still wastes around 3 days though, waiting for the list to get
back to me, then finding the file I want, then sending off another request.

It would still be better to get the people to post the file name they uploaded
, after all, it's just a few lines more to the message they are already
posting telling us they uploaded such and such program.

--

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (10/04/90)

In article <6083@eklektik.UUCP> eric@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) writes:
>In article <2703699d-2d85.2comp.sys.amiga-1@tronsbox.xei.com> tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) writes:
>>Be aware that if this emulator is any good it could be a serious factor in
>>many A500 purchases.... if a salesman can say "and there is a C64 emulator
>>for it that you can HAVE" and take a moment to explain the shareware
>>concept it will help.
>Great.  Now who's going to explain the concept to the salesmen?
>1/2 :-)

This is a sad, but true fact about some Amiga salespersons (at least in my experience).

One such salesperson at an otherwise very reputable dealer in my hometown said, "I
don't usually mention PD or shareware because I think it makes the computer look
unprofessional.  You know, giving software away..."

I was so astonished at the words that I just gawked at him for a while...

Do these people think that people who write software and then give it away free (or
do the unregistered/registered version bit) do so because they CAN'T SELL IT!?!

I explained to him that most Amiga programmers are generally nice people and do
things out of the good of their heart or just as a hobby, unlike a few programmers
that frequent another 680x0-based machine I won't mention...

Having some sales experience of my own, I not only think that using the subject of
free/shareware as a sales pitch is not only valid, but is one of the best sales
techniques for the Amiga.  Certainly the value-divided-by-volume of PD on other
platforms is much lower...  I'm an addicted hacker and I SURVIVE on freeware and
shareware.  Except in one or two cases, the only commercial wares I own are
games.

pashdown@shotput.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (10/04/90)

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:

>In article <31728@nigel.ee.udel.edu> S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:
>>     For those expecting the emulator to run under the the 68020/030 you can
>>forget it.  The author has left it out of the disk.  The program available
>>only runs on the 68000 and 68010(not sure).  The 020/030 version is available
>>from the author, but is not included.  It may not actually be done either.
>>     If you are interested in it, get it.  But those of you who have 3000s
>>don't expect for it to work.

>If you read the documentation, you'll note that you can get these versions
>just by sending in the registration fee.  You also get an interface for C64
>peripherals.  If you have a problem with sending in the registration fee,
>well, this guy has worked pretty hard...

Well, I read the documentation, and this is what I saw:

680x0 SUPPORT

    Basically most of the programs in this release of The A64 Package were
    designed to work with the 68000 microprocessor only.  The utility programs
    that use A64's hardware interface can be made to work with any
    microprocessor as long as if a 68020 is used its cache is turned off.  All
    other utilities will work with any microprocessor.  A64 itself can NOT be
    made to run with other microprocessors.  It does a check of the installed
    microprocessor and will not run if the wrong one is installed.  We
    currently have a separate version of A64 that runs with 68010 and 68020
    microprocessors and it is VERY impressive.  We are working on having just
    one version of A64 that will work with ALL the 680x0 microprocessors. When
    we have completed making all programs in The A64 Package 680x0 compatible
    we will release them as an update.

There is NO mention of the idea that the 680x0 compatible version is available
if you register.  In fact, it looks very much like it isn't available period.
However, this doesn't discount the fact that if you do register, then you
are eligable for an update in the future.

>>||---Brian Wright                    |     / /                         ||
>>||---s36666wb@etsuacad.etsu.edu      | \ \/ /  Only Amiga              ||

>        Greg Harp               greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu            \\XX//
>Stolen from an idea by es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu [Ethan Solomita]:

--
 /    (Rotate head 90 degrees for full effect)
 |                                                            BUNGEEEEEEEE!
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------->=<o
 \    Pete Ashdown    pashdown@esunix   ...utah-cs!esunix!pashdown

ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS) (10/05/90)

	Is there any way to get in contact with the author of this program
APART from snail mail? I need to ask a small question about shipping, and
it's a pain to mail these things when you are a VERY long way away from the
author. I believe the original program was posted of GEnie (or something like
that), so is anybody willing to pass something on for me (if you can contact
him that way)?

				Ian

P.S. There's been discussion about how good the archives have been. I have
     found that the .lzh version had the main executable wrong, and the .lhw
     version couldn't unarchive tracks 78-79 (I think). HOwever, if you use
     the .lhw version and the A64 executable from the .lzh version, you can
     get a properly working version.

Ian Rowlands                     | Work : ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, |     OR munnari!mullian!ianr@uunet.uu.net
 (including Computer Science)    | Home : ianr@gpark.pub.uu.oz.au (soon)
University of Melbourne          |     OR munnari!labtam!eyrie!gpark!ianr@uunet

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu (10/06/90)

     I am about to get this emulator for my 2000HD so I can play one game
Death Lord.  I was wondering if the emulator can read from my 3 1/2?

ttavolij@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Thomas Tavoly) (10/09/90)

The files on abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov were corrupted probably because of
someone using old lharc and lhwarp versions. The latest versions are
(that I know of and use) LHWarp1.40 and LHArc1.21
Maybe unlharcing/warping with an older version would help.

Thomas Tavoly, CS, Univ. of Utrecht, The Netherlands (the rain-all-day land)
E-Mail: ttavolij@praxis.cs.ruu.nl    Disclaimer: These opinions are rented,
      Yes, it ^^ IS a typo!                      not mine. -TT
"What a piece of MaxiComm!" - Larry Phillips   .sig version: sysVr4 (hmm...)