[comp.sys.amiga] Some info needed about AREXX

In <ernie.5208@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us>, ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) writes:
> I've always thought that I wouldn't ever need/want/desire AREXX,
> but it seems, that something I'm working on needs AREXX.
>
> Are there any PD/Shareware/Freeware versions of AREXX around?
> If not, where can I buy a copy?

Not that I know of. ARexx can be purchased at better dealers everywhere, and
barring that, from:

   William S. Hawes
   PO Box 308
   Maynard MA, 01754

  Tel: 508-568-8695

> Another help would be, if anyone knows how to talk to an AREXX port
> on a program WITHOUT AREXX?

The details of how you can do this are contained on the ARexx release.

> Either having AREXX or being able to talk to the port myself would
> work... (Example: whats the structure I should pass to the port? etc..)

ARexx communication takes place via RexxMessages. It's a little complex for
explanation in a posting. There have been several examples posted to the nets,
but most of them require the ARexx include files.

You can either purchase ARexx now, or purchase the CBM includes for 2.0. You
can do the latter after 2.0 arrives, or become a developer now.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) (10/08/90)

 I've always thought that I wouldn't ever need/want/desire AREXX,
 but it seems, that something I'm working on needs AREXX.

 Are there any PD/Shareware/Freeware versions of AREXX around?
 If not, where can I buy a copy?

 Another help would be, if anyone knows how to talk to an AREXX port
 on a program WITHOUT AREXX?

 Either having AREXX or being able to talk to the port myself would
 work... (Example: whats the structure I should pass to the port? etc..)

 Thanks to anyone who can help :)

--

    Ernest J. Gainey III     //\\   ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us
    The Amiga Aquarium	 \\ //==\\    Gainey03@Snybufva.Bitnet

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (10/08/90)

In article <ernie.5208@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us> ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) writes:
> Another help would be, if anyone knows how to talk to an AREXX port
> on a program WITHOUT AREXX?

DigiPaint-III (the HAM paint program from NewTek) has an AREXX port.
It includes a demo on the distribution disk that runs an Execute script.
This script has commands like "Hey DigiPaint Pend 47 04", and
"Hey DigiPaint Penu 267 96".  (This case, it says to move to coordinates
(47,04), start a pen-down operation, move to (267,96), pen-up.)

"Hey" is a little program that sends a message to the specified program's
AREXX port.  The source, hey.asm, is included on the disk.

It does show how easy it is to control an AREXX compatible program without
AREXX.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

In <ernie.5224@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us>, ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) writes:
>>In article <2103@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>In <ernie.5208@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us>, ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) writes:
>>Not that I know of. ARexx can be purchased at better dealers everywhere, and
>>barring that, from:
>>

> Do you know how much it should be, so I dont get ripped off?

List price is around $50 or so.

-larry

--

ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) (10/09/90)

>In article <2103@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <ernie.5208@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us>, ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) writes:
>Not that I know of. ARexx can be purchased at better dealers everywhere, and
>barring that, from:

 Do you know how much it should be, so I dont get ripped off?

>   William S. Hawes
>   PO Box 308
>   Maynard MA, 01754
>
>  Tel: 508-568-8695
>
>> Another help would be, if anyone knows how to talk to an AREXX port
>> on a program WITHOUT AREXX?
>
>The details of how you can do this are contained on the ARexx release.
>
>> Either having AREXX or being able to talk to the port myself would
>> work... (Example: whats the structure I should pass to the port? etc..)
>
>ARexx communication takes place via RexxMessages. It's a little complex for
>explanation in a posting. There have been several examples posted to the nets,
>but most of them require the ARexx include files.

 Yeah, that would help :)

>You can either purchase ARexx now, or purchase the CBM includes for 2.0. You
>can do the latter after 2.0 arrives, or become a developer now.

 I dont think I could afford to become a developer... :(
 College students don't have much money.. :(

>-larry
>
>--

 Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts :)