[comp.sys.amiga] a2000 questions

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (04/23/87)

   In the A2000, does anyone have any information about how the Amiga and the
8088 share floppy drives?  We have several questions about how this whole thing
works.

   We have elected to call the 8088 (or 8086, or 80286, or ...) an "8088
machine".  If which processor makes a difference, please specify.

1:	   Does the MS-DOS (shipped with the 2088, according to BYTE March
	1987, pp 84-98) come on a 3.5" disk or a 5.25"?  I expect it is a 3.5"

2:	   I know the Amiga can have a partition of the 8088 hard disk, but
	can the Amiga access the drives and other devices attached to the
	8088 machine?

3:	   Can the 8088 machine use (or gain access to) the Amiga 3.5 inch
	floppies, and the Amiga SCSI devices?
	   Could the 8088 machine have a partition on the Amiga SCSI hard
	drive?
	   If the 8088 side can use the Amiga 3.5 inch drive, would a requestor
	show up on the Amiga screen for the appropiate disk?

4:	   Have provisions been made for transfering between the two formats?

5:	   What kind of OS support will be provided for sharing data between
	the 8088 machine and the Amiga?  Both Amiga OS support as well as
	8088 machine support?

Thanks
Scott Mark 	Usenet:  h.cc.purdue.edu!npk
Pat White	Usenet:  k.cc.purdue.edu!ain	BITNET: PATWHITE@PURCCVM

andy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (04/24/87)

In article <192@s.cc.purdue.edu> ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) writes:

>   In the A2000, does anyone have any information about how the Amiga and the
>8088 share floppy drives?  We have several questions about how this whole thing
>works.
>
>   We have elected to call the 8088 (or 8086, or 80286, or ...) an "8088
>machine".  If which processor makes a difference, please specify.
>
>1:	   Does the MS-DOS (shipped with the 2088, according to BYTE March
>	1987, pp 84-98) come on a 3.5" disk or a 5.25"?  I expect it is a 3.5"
	it comes on a 5.25" disk.  The 2088 comes with a 5.25" drive.

>2:	   I know the Amiga can have a partition of the 8088 hard disk, but
>	can the Amiga access the drives and other devices attached to the
>	8088 machine?
	It could if the software were written do do so, through the
 	janus.library interface, which allows the 2 processors to
	communicate.  There is a matching library on the MS-DOS
	side.

>3:	   Can the 8088 machine use (or gain access to) the Amiga 3.5 inch
>	floppies, and the Amiga SCSI devices?
		yes, as VIRTUAL MS-DOS disks.
>	   Could the 8088 machine have a partition on the Amiga SCSI hard
>	drive?
		no, only as above (currently). Actually, I guess you
		could reserve a partition of your hard disk for MS-DOS
		use if you wanted to. This would be your choice, of course.
		Nothing forces you to.
>	   If the 8088 side can use the Amiga 3.5 inch drive, would a requestor
>	show up on the Amiga screen for the appropiate disk?
		yes.

>4:	   Have provisions been made for transfering between the two formats?
		we have an awrite command and an aread command for
		reading/writing files from one side to the other.

>5:	   What kind of OS support will be provided for sharing data between
>	the 8088 machine and the Amiga?  Both Amiga OS support as well as
>	8088 machine support?
		At first, only what's in the janus.library.  (basic
	read/write/etc stuff)

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore/Amiga		 /or/ pyramid!amiga!andy }

"Do not meddle with the affairs of wizards, for it makes them soggy and hard
to light."

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (04/27/87)

in article <192@s.cc.purdue.edu>, ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) says:

>    We have elected to call the 8088 (or 8086, or 80286, or ...) an "8088
> machine".  If which processor makes a difference, please specify.
>
> 1:	   Does the MS-DOS (shipped with the 2088, according to BYTE March
> 	1987, pp 84-98) come on a 3.5" disk or a 5.25"?  I expect it is a 3.5"

The ones we've received so far are 5.25" floppies.

> 2:	   I know the Amiga can have a partition of the 8088 hard disk, but
> 	can the Amiga access the drives and other devices attached to the
> 	8088 machine?

It can physically, using the Janus.library in a way similar to that of the
"amiga-partition-on-PC-Harddisk" scheme is currently done.  It will require
AmigaDOS drivers, though.  The only drivers I've seen so far for Amiga using
PC facilities is the hard disk driver.  Others could be written, though I
don't think C-A is too interested in writing a driver to implement Amiga
partitions on a PC floppy (does MessyDOS even let you partition floppies?).

> 3:	   Can the 8088 machine use (or gain access to) the Amiga 3.5 inch
> 	floppies, and the Amiga SCSI devices?
> 	   Could the 8088 machine have a partition on the Amiga SCSI hard
> 	drive?

There's currently work being done that will let the PC side use a partition
on an Amiga hard disk.  Certainly drivers of other kinds could be written
for the PC, and I 'spose if you wanted it, with the proper drivers for the
PC you could put a PC partition on an Amiga floppy.  Just to let the PC use
a 3.5" disk, however, is less involved.  All of the internal drives use the
same 36 pin disk drive cables, and all external drives use the Amiga 23 pin
D style floppy connector, so its easy to physically transport drives from
Amiga to PC and back.

> 4:	   Have provisions been made for transfering between the two formats?

There's some kind of work being done on this.  They've announced a format
exchange of some kind (in addition to the simple cut and paste between
windows) but I'm not sure what form the transfer will take.  Expect either
a dedicated transfer program or perhaps an AmigaDOS device.

> 5:	   What kind of OS support will be provided for sharing data between
> 	the 8088 machine and the Amiga?  Both Amiga OS support as well as
> 	8088 machine support?

The Amiga's support exists in the form of an Exec library called the
Janus.library, which provides routines for allocating and freeing various
resources on the bridge cards, so that drivers and the other things I've
talked about can be easily written.  Since the PC sides doesn't really have
an operating system, I'm not sure what all is available for communications.
In the case of the Amiga partition on the PC hard disk, a trick hard disk
driver program is loaded by the Amiga into shared RAM that looks to the PC
as if it were ROM.  There are a few hooks in the PC BIOS that let the Amiga
play games with it, but I'm not familiar enough with the PC side of things
to tell exactly what's going on.

> Thanks
> Scott Mark 	Usenet:  h.cc.purdue.edu!npk
> Pat White	Usenet:  k.cc.purdue.edu!ain	BITNET: PATWHITE@PURCCVM
--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
"The A2000 Guy"                    BIX   : hazy

bakken@tahoma.UUCP (09/29/87)

I just reread the initial AmigaWorld and Byte articles on the A2000
and they raise some questions that I don't recall being answered in
comp.sys.amiga (forgive me if something slipped by me and was already
answered).

1) 	What information, if any, from the AW and BYTE articles (which were
	written 8-9 months ago) is incorrect or obsolete?

2)  	Amiga World (March/April '87) stated that the SCSI controller
	board CA was developing had a data transfer rate of 1.2 MByte/sec.  I
	have seen new SCSI chips announced in the last 6 months that sport
	4-5MByte/sec rates with quantity prices in the $16-25 range.  Is
	there a chance this board will incorporate these new chips?  If
	not, this seems like a good opportunity for a 3rd party company
	(wink, wink @ Perry).

	BTW, approximately what is the data transfer rate of an ST506
	drive, an AT hard card [which may be the same as ST506 for all
	I know - I'm blissfully ignorant of the IBM PC compatible
	world  :-)  ], and of the current A1000 floppy drives?   How
	much can 40MB SCSI drives be found for, and how is this likely
	to change in the next year (don't the new Macs have SCSI ports
	or peripheral boards?) ?

3)	The keyboard doesn't slide under the unit :-(.  If it is unpluged and
	then pluged back in again when the machine is running could this
	cause damage to the hardware or the something to hiccup?

4)	Mr. Clive Smith is quoted in BYTE as saying there will be a 68020
	based V.2 with an MMU for the A2000.  I have heard elsewhere (I
	can't remember where) of CA developing a 68020/6881 board.  Is
	CA planning to release more than one board?  Any educated guesses,
	rumors, or CA confirmations  about the timetables and prices?  Was
	the 2000 designed with 32 bit paths to take maximum advantage of such
	a board?

	Is it fairly easy/quick for a program to sense if a 68881 is in the
	system and then use it?  I hope Amiga software developers start
	including this in their programs.

5)	How much will the LP monitor and the 2MB and 8MB memory boards
	cost (both minimally and fully poplated), and when will they be
	readily available?

6)	How smart will the autoconfiguration be with extra ports connected
	to an XT or AT slot?  For example, if I get a serial cards will
	they be able to be addressed as SER1:, ... ?  Will it be fairly
	easy to hook up dumb terminals to them?  (this would be an
	important selling point with a 68020/68881 V.2 system).  And
	would it be reasonably easy for an application program to sense
	how many ports are present or would it have to query the user?
	A good example of this would be a multiuser BBS.

7)	About how many units will ship in the next 6 months?  I hope
	the production is ready to spit out a lot of them so it isn't
	8-12 months before the supply catches up with the demand and we get
	some competitive pricing.

Thank you very much for any replies, especially from the horse's mouth.
I suspect I am not the only person who follows comp.sys.amiga that is
interested in the answers :-).
--
Dave Bakken
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company

dcall@dadla.TEK.COM (Dale Call;6291513;92-725;LP=A;60QC) (10/06/87)

In article <176@tahoma.ARPA> bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) writes:

>2)  	Amiga World (March/April '87) stated that the SCSI controller
>	board CA was developing had a data transfer rate of 1.2 MByte/sec.  I
>	have seen new SCSI chips announced in the last 6 months that sport
>	4-5MByte/sec rates with quantity prices in the $16-25 range.  Is
>	there a chance this board will incorporate these new chips?  If
>	not, this seems like a good opportunity for a 3rd party company
>	(wink, wink @ Perry).
>
>	BTW, approximately what is the data transfer rate of an ST506
>	drive, an AT hard card [which may be the same as ST506 for all
>	I know - I'm blissfully ignorant of the IBM PC compatible
>	world  :-)  ], and of the current A1000 floppy drives?   How
>	much can 40MB SCSI drives be found for, and how is this likely
>	to change in the next year (don't the new Macs have SCSI ports
>	or peripheral boards?) ?

A ST506 drive transfers at 5 Mbits -> 500 Kbytes per second.  If the
SCSI disk controller uses RLL or enhanced RLL, the transfer rate goes
up (up to 1 Mbyte per second with enhanced RLL, I think).  Therefore
unless you use a different interface drive (maybe EDSI, SMD, etc.) you
aren't going to exceed the maximum transfer rate of the A2090 (?)
controller board.  Faster SCSI chips won't buy you much.  What would be
more important is whether or not the drive does internal buffering of
multiple sectors.  A 40Mb embedded SCSI drive will run around $600 -
$700.  An Adaptec controller ($130) with an ST506 40Mb drive ($400 ?)
will be cheaper, but requires more room.  The other problem limiting
hard drives is of course AmigaDOS itself, but we really don't need to
rehash this subject.  Hopefully ASDG's SDP will help here ...

>5)	How much will the LP monitor and the 2MB and 8MB memory boards
>	cost (both minimally and fully poplated), and when will they be
>	readily available?

My dealer quoted $399 for the 2Mb memory board from CA.  No data on LP
monitor or 8Mb board.

Dale Call

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (10/09/87)

The rate at which a disk will squirt data to a controller is insignificant
(on the Amiga) compared  to  the  time  it takes for the drive to have the
data available and the time lost by within the o.s.

It is precisely here that the SDP will do its magic. A)  Replace  DOS. Run
the entire file system  code right  on  the  controller. B) Pre-Fetch most
data accesses.

Oh, by the way, if I am not mistaken, we use 3MByte per second SCSI chips.
But as I said, this doesn't  mean  anything for other peoples controllers.
Ours is  the only  one which would  feel constrained  by  1.2  Mb/sec Xfer
rate.

Perry Kivolowitz - ASDG Incorporated

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/12/87)

in article <176@tahoma.ARPA>, bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) says:

> 1) 	What information, if any, from the AW and BYTE articles (which were
> 	written 8-9 months ago) is incorrect or obsolete?

Both of these articles reviewed the German designed A2000.  The only system
being legally sold in the USA is the West Chester, PA designed A2000, sometimes
called the "B2000" (which was an internal designation we used to avoid the
"which A2000" question any time someone mentioned "A2000").  So the machines
you can actually buy are similar to those reviewed in the aforementioned
articles, but with a few differences.  1 meg of memory on the motherboard
instead of 512K.  A better video expansion slot.

> 3)	The keyboard doesn't slide under the unit :-(.  If it is unpluged and
> 	then pluged back in again when the machine is running could this
> 	cause damage to the hardware or the something to hiccup?

Providing you plug and unplug in the proper way, you'll be safe even when
running.  If you try to plug it in wrong, you could very easily cause a
system reset (equivalent to Control-Amiga-Amiga) to occur.  Mine usually
gets stuck on top of the monitor when not in use, just like I used to do
with my C.Itoh terminal.

> 	Is it fairly easy/quick for a program to sense if a 68881 is in the
> 	system and then use it?  I hope Amiga software developers start
> 	including this in their programs.

The Amiga OS tries a 68881 instruction early on in its startup code.  If the
coprocessor is present, the instruction is executed and a flag for 68881 is
set in ExecBase.  Otherwise an F-line trap occurs, and no 68881 flag is set.
The OS also indicates if 68000, 68010, or 68020 are installed, and some OS
services change base on the processor in place (like the GetCC() function).

> 5)	How much will the LP monitor and the 2MB and 8MB memory boards
> 	cost (both minimally and fully poplated), and when will they be
> 	readily available?

So far, the 2 meg board, hard disk controller, and PC-XT bridge card are
available.  I'm not sure of the retail prices.

> 6)	How smart will the autoconfiguration be with extra ports connected
> 	to an XT or AT slot?  For example, if I get a serial cards will
> 	they be able to be addressed as SER1:, ... ?  Will it be fairly
> 	easy to hook up dumb terminals to them?  (this would be an
> 	important selling point with a 68020/68881 V.2 system).  And
> 	would it be reasonably easy for an application program to sense
> 	how many ports are present or would it have to query the user?
> 	A good example of this would be a multiuser BBS.

Well, since a PC doesn't autoconfigure, it's not all that easy to many the
Amiga autoconfigure PC-side resources.  However, it would be reasonable to
write a serial.device that included any PC-side serial devices as additional
serial units.  Probably the best thing to do would be to write such a serial
device as an Expansion drawer device that's bound by the presence of the
bridge card.  A mountlist entry could allocate serial units on the PC side and
call them SER1: or whatever.  This system will certainly have to have some
PC side code as well, just like the PC side hard disk code does.  If there's
any good way to determine in software how many serial devices exist on the
PC, then your device could allocate these automatically instead of each
explicitly via Mount commands.

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (10/13/87)

In article <2467@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) says:
>Both of these articles reviewed the German designed A2000.  The only system
>being legally sold in the USA is the West Chester, PA designed A2000, sometimes

My dealer has a bunch of 2000's that are in boxes clearly labeled in
German.  Does that mean these are some kind of bootleg machines?

                                                              lee

adb@a.UUCP (Allen D Barnett) (10/14/87)

Having had my A2000 (B2000, really, even though the box was labeled in
German), I would appreciate some help with a particular problem.
I have a code that neglects to clear register D0 before it does a
_LVOOpenLibrary.  The garbage in D0 is larger than 33 so the library
fails to open;  so, since we are trying to open dos.library, there is
no way to report this failure other than through Alert.  However,
when the Guru is summoned, with a recoverable alert, the entire screen turns
blue and the power LED begins to blink benignly.  After waiting a while,
I administer the nerve pinch and lo, the requstor appears.  I press the
right mouse button and the machine resets itself.  When this code ran on
my 1000, it properly displayed the alert and proceeded to clean up and exit
properly when you pressed the mouse button.  No more.  What is the source of
this problem?  Any speculation is welcome.
(oh, one other thing, I meant to say that I pressed the left mouse button

Thanks,
Allen Barnett     abd@a.lanl.gov

billh@tekig4.TEK.COM (William Hansen) (10/14/87)

>My dealer has a bunch of 2000's that are in boxes clearly labeled in
>German.  Does that mean these are some kind of bootleg machines?
>                                                              lee

My A2000 came in a box that was originally used by CBM Germany. It had tiny
white lables applied to the side saying it was shipped from West Chester, and
is a B2000 with the monochrome video jack.  I guess that either the German
boxes are printed in West Chester and so were "available", or that CBM
Germany gave CBM USA some boxes so that they could ship on schedule. Of
course this is just a guess, since I don't work for CBM.

						Bill Hansen
						billh@teklim.LIM.TEK.COM

In article <22314UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
> In article <2467@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) says:
> >Both of these articles reviewed the German designed A2000.  The only system
> >being legally sold in the USA is the West Chester, PA designed A2000,
> >sometimes
>
> My dealer has a bunch of 2000's that are in boxes clearly labeled in
> German.  Does that mean these are some kind of bootleg machines?

Nope, it means there was a long lead time on getting domestic sources set up
for boxes and packaging materials and we had perfectly good boxes available
at our German facility.  Not to worry (too much 8-).

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (10/14/87)

In article <2500@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <22314UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
>> In article <2467@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) says:
>> >Both of these articles reviewed the German designed A2000.  The only system
>> >being legally sold in the USA is the West Chester, PA designed A2000,
>> >sometimes
>>
>> My dealer has a bunch of 2000's that are in boxes clearly labeled in
>> German.  Does that mean these are some kind of bootleg machines?
>
>Nope, it means there was a long lead time on getting domestic sources set up
>for boxes and packaging materials and we had perfectly good boxes available
>at our German facility.  Not to worry (too much 8-).

  Too be sure it is an American 2000 just look on the side of the box. It
  will have a white label that says "Assembled in the USA of importated
  and domestic components."

--
   Dan Schein			 	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore Business Machines		or: {allegra|burdvax}!cbmvax!schein

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) (10/15/87)

in article <22314UH2@PSUVM>, UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) says:
> My dealer has a bunch of 2000's that are in boxes clearly labeled in
> German.  Does that mean these are some kind of bootleg machines?
>                                                               lee

PLEASE, PLEASE - stop panicking about German machines.  We use German
packaging (read BOXES) for all U.S shipments currently.  That's why
there's German writing on the boxes.  They are U.S designed motherboards
though, I assure you.

	Paul.

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (10/15/87)

We had this same behavior exhibited to us at AmiExpo. The B2000 that
was on loan to us forced you to hit ctl-Amiga-Amiga before it would
display an alert and really loose it's cookies ... should we tell this
person to return their machine as defective?

Eric

ARPA:	Lavitsky@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst La., Piscataway, NJ 08854

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (10/16/87)

In article <317@a.UUCP> adb@a.UUCP (Allen D Barnett) writes:

>Having had my A2000 (B2000, really, even though the box was labeled in
>German), I would appreciate some help with a particular problem.
>I have a code that neglects to clear register D0 before it does a
>_LVOOpenLibrary.  The garbage in D0 is larger than 33 so the library
>fails to open;  so, since we are trying to open dos.library, there is
>no way to report this failure other than through Alert.  However,
>when the Guru is summoned, with a recoverable alert, the entire screen turns
>blue and the power LED begins to blink benignly.  After waiting a while,
>I administer the nerve pinch and lo, the requstor appears.  I press the
>right mouse button and the machine resets itself.  When this code ran on
>my 1000, it properly displayed the alert and proceeded to clean up and exit
>properly when you pressed the mouse button.  No more.  What is the source of
>this problem?  Any speculation is welcome.
>(oh, one other thing, I meant to say that I pressed the left mouse button

1. Try pressing the LEFT mouse button.  I think the right mousebutton
   throws (or can throw) you into RomWack.  If you did not have a 9600
   baud terminal connected, all would would see is a freezing of the
   guru'd system.

2. Here's a patch for fixing executables afflicted with the trash-in-d0
   OpenDOS problem.  It patches in a piece of d0 init code and re-routes
   things through it.

/*
 * LPatch.c - C. Scheppner  03/87
 *
 *    Corrects the startup code of some 1.0/1.1 programs such as
 *    Atom so that they don't abort during startup with the Alert
 *    00038007. (can't open dos library).  The problem is caused
 *    by d0 (version) being uninitialized prior to the OpenLibrary.
 *
 *   LINKAGE INFO:
 *     Compile with -v flag on LC2
 *     Link with AStartup.obj ... LIBRARY Amiga.lib, LC.lib
 */

#include <exec/types.h>
#include <libraries/dos.h>
#include <libraries/dosextens.h>

/* Patch Offsets, Old Values, New Values */

ULONG  offset[] = {0x196,0x197, 0x213, 0x23E,0x23F,0x240,0x241,0x242,0x243};
UBYTE  oldval[] = {0x01, 0x4E,  0xD2,  0x24, 0x3C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0xED};
UBYTE  newval[] = {0x00, 0xA8,  0x2C,  0x70, 0x00, 0x60, 0x00, 0x00, 0xA2};

LONG file;

main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char **argv;
   {
   LONG            rLen, wLen;
   char            *filename;
   UBYTE  buf[4];
   int k;

   if (argc==0) cleanexit("");
   if ((argc==1)||(argc>2)||(*argv[1]=='?'))
      cleanexit("Usage: LPatch filename");

   filename = argv[1];

   if(!(file = Open(filename, MODE_OLDFILE)))
      cleanexit("File not found");

   for(k=0;k<9;k++)
      {
      Seek(file,offset[k],OFFSET_BEGINING);
      if((rLen = Read(file,buf,1)) < 1)  cleanexit("Read error");
      if(buf[0] != oldval[k])  cleanexit("File not correct for patch");
      }

   for(k=0;k<9;k++)
      {
      Seek(file,offset[k],OFFSET_BEGINING);
      if((wLen = Write(file,&newval[k],1)) < 1)  cleanexit("Write error");
      }

   cleanup();
   }

cleanexit(s)
   char  *s;
   {
   if (*s)
      {
      printf("%s \n",s);
      }
   cleanup();
   exit();
   }

cleanup()
   {
   if(file)  Close(file);
   }

/* end */
Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/16/87)

in article <22314UH2@PSUVM>, UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) says:

> In article <2467@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) says:
>>Both of these articles reviewed the German designed A2000.  The only system
>>being legally sold in the USA is the West Chester, PA designed A2000, sometimes
> My dealer has a bunch of 2000's that are in boxes clearly labeled in
> German.  Does that mean these are some kind of bootleg machines?
>                                                               lee

I doubt it.  You're correct in noting that the boxes are from Germany.  The
computers in them, however, were designed and probably assembled in West
Chester.  The A2000 casework is also from Germany.  Maybe someday they'll
have a nice looking US box to sell A2000s in.

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
   "The B2000 Guy"              PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy
    "Computers are what happen when you give up sleeping" - Iggy the Cat

millerje@holst.cs.colostate.edu (jeffrey scott miller) (10/09/90)

  My brother has just bought an Amiga 2000 and has some questions, kindly

1) He's thinking about getting the AMAX.  How compatible is it?  Should he
   wait for the AMAX II+?  What experiences have you had with it?
2) He's thinking about getting the PC BRIDGEBOARD (I realize it's
   discontinued, but they're still available).  Same questions as with #1.
3) Can you use the AMAX and bridgeboard at the same time on the 2000?
4) He likes the Panasonic 1124 (24 pin, 80 column) printer. Does most A2000
   software support this printer, if not, what is a recommended printer?

Many thanks,

#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#$*#
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan              #
A stately pleasure dome decree;       #  Jeff Miller
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran     #  millerje@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
Through caverns measureless to man    #  millerje@holst.CS.ColoState.Edu
Down to a sunless sea.                #

vlsi4@erato.cs.kun.nl (Freddy Aries) (10/09/90)

 In comp.sys.amiga you write:

>  My brother has just bought an Amiga 2000 and has some questions, kindly

[stuff deleted]
>2) He's thinking about getting the PC BRIDGEBOARD (I realize it's
>   discontinued, but they're still available).  Same questions as with #1.

There is a new version of the bridgeboard (A2088T) - Turboboard, which
is an official version from Commodore that uses a NEC V20 chip. This means
it is (almost) as compatible as the previous (current) board, it is faster
(up to 9.54 MHz) and it is (in contrast to the previous board) able to use
the Amiga-drives as PC-drives as well (eg. boot the PC from DF0:).
More about compatibility: Commodore said that they had implemented a new
better BIOS-version, so the board would be more compatible than the previous
one. The current board is already about 99% compatible, the only programs
that can cause problems are the ones that directly address some special
areas of the BIOS. But I have to tell you that I have only once experienced
a (small utility) program that refused to run. All other programs work fine.

It is made in Germany (Commodore Braunschweig), and I don't know if it
is already available, but if it isn't, I think it's better to wait for
it. Believe me, the old board is REALLY slow, and not being able to use
the built-in Amiga drives is terrible.

      Hope this helps,
                                Freddy Aries.

FAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFA
F            Freddy Aries        					   A
A            Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science 		   F
F            University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands       		   A
A     Email: vlsi4@erato.cs.kun.nl					   F
AFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAF