[comp.sys.amiga] Atalk 3 and Arexx

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (10/09/90)

Has anyone used Atalk 3 with Arexx on the Amiga?  I'd like to write an Arexx
macro that would ask me questions and construct an Atalk 3 script on the fly
which it would feed to Atalk as it goes.  One part of this would be to put up
requestors on the Atalk screen that ask for input (rexxarplib seems handy for
this).  My first problem is finding the name of Atalk's publicscreen (whatever
that is) to pass to the Request function in the library.  Anyone have any
ideas?  (Marco?)
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.90Oct8234142@uunet.UU.NET> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
>Has anyone used Atalk 3 with Arexx on the Amiga?  I'd like to write an Arexx
>macro that would ask me questions and construct an Atalk 3 script on the fly
>which it would feed to Atalk as it goes.  One part of this would be to put up
>requestors on the Atalk screen that ask for input (rexxarplib seems handy for
>this).  My first problem is finding the name of Atalk's publicscreen (whatever
>that is) to pass to the Request function in the library.  Anyone have any
>ideas?  (Marco?)

Re: a-talk scripts on the fly.  Look at the example scripts on the A-Talk
III installation disk.  Especially at the A-Talk-Remote script, a very large
script that allows A-Talk III to be used from a remote location (i.e.,
you can call your AMiga, log in with password protection, execute DOS
commands, look at files, send/receive files, etc...).  That macro uses
a LOT of ARexx stuff.

Glad you ask about the "public-screens".  Originally we had decided NOT to
provide support for Willy Langeveld's screenshare.library-based public screens
since Commodore was coming out with their own version of public screens in
Intuition 2.0. So my plan was to forget about Willy's Langevelds stuff.
At last AmiExpo, Harv Laser gave me the source of a wonderful Arexx
Macro that completely automatizes access to Plink, that uses Willy's public
screens. It took me a few hours to port it to A-talk III, and it is so
nice that I've decided to add support for BOTH 2.0 public screens and Willy's
public screens (I'll use one or the other depending on the version of
Intuition). Right now what I need is the API for Willy's public screens.
the VLT docs gives nothing about it, excwept for soemthing like "implementation
of public screens can be changed without notice".  :-)  If anybody has a way
to get me the docs on how to implement public screens ala-VLT, I can put it
in real quick for the next update, 1.3d, which I should ship to Oxxi
within the next couple of weeks.

-- Marco

"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman