[comp.sys.amiga] This was the last AmiExpo

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (10/09/90)

AmiExpo California is now in the history books. It was a terrific show.
Joe Lowery, AMI Shows' head guy, at a post-show press conference
said attendance was something in the neighborhood of 12,000+ for the
three day event.  Moving the venue out of Downtown L.A. (where the last
two So. Calif. AmiExpos were held) had a lot to do with this.

This was also the last AmiExpo.  ("huh? What?")

As per a press release issued by Erich Stein & Associates, AMI Shows'
PR guy, and announcements at the show itself, the name has now been
changed from AmiExpo to AmigaWorld Expo.  Their 1991 American show
schedule looks like this:

AmigaWorld Expo New York - March 15-17, 1991, New York Hilton &
 Towers at Rockefeller Center in Manhattan

AmigaWorld Expo Florida - July 26-28, 1991, Stouffer Orlando Resort
 at Seaworld, Orlando

AmigaWorld Expo California - October 4-6, 1991, Oakland Convention
 Center, Oakland.

Okay.. so, hey Commodore... give this schedule to whoever you have
there who is involved with scheduling World of Amiga shows and just
pin it up on your cork board and refer to it from time to time and try
yer best not to schedule a WOA show at the same time as an AmigaWorld
Expo, okay? Simultaneous shows (as happend this past weekend) don't do
anyone any good. Oh, and by the way, what was the WOA Chicago total
attendance?

drxmann@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Dustin Christmann) (10/10/90)

In article <4883@crash.cts.com> hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:

>As per a press release issued by Erich Stein & Associates, AMI Shows'
>PR guy, and announcements at the show itself, the name has now been
>changed from AmiExpo to AmigaWorld Expo.  Their 1991 American show
>schedule looks like this:
>
>AmigaWorld Expo New York - March 15-17, 1991, New York Hilton &
> Towers at Rockefeller Center in Manhattan
>
>AmigaWorld Expo Florida - July 26-28, 1991, Stouffer Orlando Resort
> at Seaworld, Orlando
>
>AmigaWorld Expo California - October 4-6, 1991, Oakland Convention
> Center, Oakland.

I have a (IMHO) good idea for _anybody_ planning on doing a major Amiga expo.
How about locating one away from the 2 Coasts? Texas, for example. Houston or
Dallas, in particular. This would be more practical for someone who lives in
the (south) central U.S and Rocky Mountain states than the present sites. Other
good places would be Denver, New Orleans, and St. Louis.

I could possibly bring myself to driving to any one of the suggested sites, a
lot more than NY or LA-LA-land. It would be a smart move considering that this
part of the country is one of the (if not _the_) fastest growing in the US.

Thanx,
Dustin R. Christmann

Internet:	drxmann@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Bitnet:		drxmann@utxvm
UUCP:		...!ut-emx!ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!drxmann
"Auf die Dauer helfen nur VW- und Amiga-Power!"
						-D.R. Christmann

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (10/10/90)

Following my "AmiEXPO has changed its name to AmigaWorld EXPO" posting
yesterday a few folks emailed me and wanted to know why/what/more...
So here I have typed in the official press release issued at the Anaheim
show by Erich Stein & Assoc. which explains the whole thing.  I've
also tacked on abbreviated versions of a couple other press releases
I thought folks might find interesting.

-----
quote

Contact: Erich Stein, Erich Stein & Associates
(303) 733-3707

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AMIEXPO CHANGES NAME TO AMIGAWORLD EXPO

AmiEXPO and AmigaWorld magazine team up to produce AmigaWorld EXPO and
expand on the current base of AmiEXPO services and activities.

AmiEXPO California, Anaheim, October 5, 1990
AMI Shows, producers of AmiEXPO, the longest-running Amiga-only
computer show and seminar series, announce that they are changing the
name of the show to AmigaWorld EXPO, following an agreement with the
publishers of AmigaWorld magazine, the long-time official magazine
sponsor of the show.

The name AmigaWorld EXPO was selected by show organizers both to
clarify the theme of the event to those outside of the Amiga market,
and to reflect a closer marketing relationship and common purpose
between AMI shows and IDG Communications.

Both AMI Shows and AmigaWorld will work closely to ensure that
AmigaWorld EXPO remains the premiere Amiga event.

"AmiEXPO and AmigaWorld magazine have long been dedicated to the
expansion of the Amiga marketplace," says Alexander Glos, general
partner of AMI Shows.  "But the Amiga has to be seen to be understood,"
adds Glos, "and the best way to show Amiga technology is through this
kind of event - that is, provided that more people know it's an Amiga
event.  This is why we feel that the name Amiga in the title now allows
us to become the premier Amiga technology demonstration venue in the
United States."

The name AmigaWorld EXPO also reflects an increasingly close business
relationship between AMI Shows and AmigaWorld magazine.  Both
organizations plan to share marketing talent and resources, not only
for the current shows but for future events.

Future joint projects include a dealer conference, master and novice
classes, and a seminar series for vertical markets.  The first of
these will be a seminar for graphics and video professionals in New
York, tentatively planned for mid-1991.

AmigaWorld is published by IDG Communications, Inc., the largest
publishing company of computer-related magazines in the world.  IDG
publishes more than 135 periodicals in 44 countries.

Upcoming shows include: AmigaWorld EXPO New York, (March 15-17, 1991 at
the New York Hilton & Towers at Rockefeller Center in Manhattan),
AmigaWorld EXPO Florida (July 26-28, 1991 at the Stouffer Orlando
Resort at Seaworld in Orlando, Florida) and AmigaWorld EXPO California
(October 4-6, 1991 at the Oakland Convention Center in Oakland,
California).

AmiEXPO California is produced by aMI Shows, which was founded in 1987
by members of AMUSE, the New York Amiga USer Group.  This is the
twelfth AmiEXPO to be held in the U.S. and the third AmiEXPO to be held
in the Los Angeles area.

AMI Shows also produces AMIGA '90 Cologne, being held November 8-11,
1990 in Cologne, Germany and AMIGA '91 Berlin.

To learn more, contact AMI Shows at (914) 741-6500 or toll free at 1-
800-32-AMIGA.

------
AMI SHOWS TO PRODUCE BERLIN, GERMANY AMIGA SHOW IN 1991

AMIGA '91 Berlin will introduce the Amiga to enthusiasts from both
sides of the new Federal Republic of Germany

AmiEXPO California, Anaheim, October 5, 1990 -
AMI Shows, producers of AMIGA '90 Cologne, and AmigaWorld EXPO, the
longest running Amiga-only computer exposition and seminar series,
announce plans to produce AMIGA '91 Berlin the first al-Amiga computer
show to target computer users in the eastern part of the newly unified
Republic of Germany.

The show will incorporate over 20,000 sq. ft. of floor space and
attract an estimated 100 exhibiting companies and over 40,000 visitors.

With a population of 6 million people, Berlin is both the largest city
in Germany and the gateway to a market of some 18 million people living
in Eastern Germany.  Considering that sales of Amiga 500s and 2000s in
eastern Europe are growing fast, AMIGA '91 Berlin should prove to be
one of Germany's most important computer shows to date.

AMIGA '91 Berlin is a companion show to AMIGA '90 Cologne, the world's
largest Amiga-only exposition, also produced by AMI shows.  AMIGA '90
Cologne will take place NOvember 8-11, 1990.

To learn more about AMIGA '91 Berlin or AMIGA '90 Cologne, contact AMI
Shows at (914) 741-6500 or toll free at 1-800-32-AMIGA.  In Europe,
contact Ami Shows Europe GmbH, Zugspitzstr. 2A, 8011 Vaterstetten,
Germany, Tel (49)(8106)31093, FAX (49)(8106)34094.

----
AMIEXPO ANNOUNCES THIRD ANNUAL ART AND VIDEO CONTEST

AmiEXPO California, Anaheim, October 5, 1990 -
AMI Shows, producers of the popular AmiEXPO show series will host their
successful Amiga Art & Video Contest once again in 1991, and will
include awards in a total of seven categories.

The first 5 awards, in the Fine Arts category, are being repeated from
last year: 2-D Still Computer Images, 3-D Still Computer Images,
Digitized Images, Animation Video and Mixed Media Video.  In addition,
a Commercial Arts category has been added for 1990, awarding prizes for
commercially produced stills and for videotape.

Contest prizes for previous Art & Video contests have been donated by a
number of different Amiga hardware and software developers, including a
removable media drive system from Interactive Video Systems, an 030
Midget Racer board from CSA, an accelerator and hard drive system from
Great Valley Products and a portfolio of 11x14" prints from
Philadelphia Video Labs.

To enter work in the contest, artists should request an official entry
form and contest rules sheet from AmiEXPO by sending a self-addressed
stamped envelope to "Art Contest Rules and Entry Form", AmiEXPO Inc.,
465 Columbus Ave., #285, Valhalla, NY 10595.

Entries will be accepted until March 1, 1991.  Winners will be
announced and prizes awarded at AmigaWorld EXPO, March 15-17 1991 at
the New York Hilton & Towers at Rockefeller Center.

Originally announced back in the fall of 1988, the Amiga Art & Video
Contest has been held annually, and has seen as many as 500 entries
from the U.S. and Canada.  Several winners have since seen their work
published in national magazines and in the 1990 Light Year Computer Art
Calendar, and other places

-----
End of Quote
.

amiga@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (10/10/90)

The Amiga Exposition planed for the University of Texas at Austin on Nov. 19
Will hopefully be a contender for AmiExpo. Well all the enthusiam will be there
, the venders won't be there until our (University Amiga Computer Society) Spring show which should host a plethora of Amiga Developers! Commodore and a few
of the local companies (New Horisons, Byte by Byte, Amazing Computers, etc..)
will be at both shows. Hope to see a few(how about a whole lot) of you there!

				Paul Norrod