[comp.sys.amiga] AUDIO SAMPLERS: SUMMARY

fox@allegra.att.com (David Fox) (10/03/90)

I wrote:
	A friend asks me to find out about low cost audio samplers
	for the amiga 2000.  Any opinions would be much appreciated,
	also any general advice about the Amiga audio scene.  Please
	mail responses and I will summarize (really, I promise!),

---------------------------------

I have been doing a bit of research (that is looking up various magazine
reviews) and have found that the best available audio-sampler is the
AMAS midi interface/audio sampler. You can purchase it through various
mail-order companies. Futuresound and Perfectsound are cheap, but do not
give the best results. I suspect that this is because users dont high-pass
filter their input signals before they digitize. As a result, digitizing
results in the "folding-in" of noticeable noise from the frequency spectrum
at frequencies above the sampling frequency.

The company that produces the AMAS sampler have recently put another package,
which doesn't give any MIDI interface. I haven't seen any review, but I suspect
that it would be a good buy.

Regards
Rick Yuan
Adelaide

---------------------------------

	I own a Mimetic Sound Sampler which is a mouseport "Stereo"
sound sampler, and I am somewhat displeased by it.  It is "Stereo"
by virtue of having two RCA line level inputs which are combined
into a single audio source (the device isn't touted as stereo on the
packaging probably because they couldn't get away with it, but the
device has "Stereo Sound Sampler" written on it).  Hence it is a
mediocre quality MONO sound sampler.  For what it is it isn't that
bad, however I have two peeves about it:

	o  It picks up LOADS of noise from Monitors, modems, disk
	   drives, phones, jukeboxes, cats, and just about anything
	   since there is a constand 60hz hum which accompanies the
	   sampling.

	o  It has all the vital chips' numbers/descriptions SCRATCHED
	   OUT so if a person (me) wants to figure out how to sheild/
	   ground the thing, it is a pain in the boot.

_______________
(TOTAL) $ __.25

Andrew Walenstein

---------------------------------

There was an article in Amazing Computing on how to build one yourself.
It was in an issue within the last year.  I don't know it right now, but
if you are still interested, leave me mail.

Walter Boese
walterb@sequoia.cray.com

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/05/90)

Don't forget AudioMaster III! That thing should be good, according to
what AM II waslike.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert Huebner) (10/08/90)

In article <4oHJq4w163w@valnet>, joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P.
Hillenburg) writes:
|> Don't forget AudioMaster III! That thing should be good, according to
|> what AM II waslike.

They (OXXI/Aegis) showed AudioMaster III at AmiEXPO here in LA.  It is
basically
the same interface as the previous release, but with two new features and some
included programs:

1- Now can sample/playback at higher rates.  Apparently up to 56K.
2- The main new feature they were demonstrating was seqeuncing.  You can
   now program your sample to play up to 99 different parts of a large sample
   at programmed intervals.  In other words, you can set it to play the first
   two seconds, a part 3 minutes in, and then repeat the first two seconds
   three times (etc).  It worked very well, as the sequences played without
   noticeable gaps or pauses.  If you take the time to do it well, you can
   (and they did) take an entire song and identify repetetive portions and
   use a sequenced sample to save on memory/storage.  They had some entire
   Police song and it was very small using sequencing.

They also now include a neat little program called CD-Player.  It bring up a
realistic looking CD player will all the normal buttons on it.  You can load
song (up to 20?) into the player and have them play in the background while
you work.

AudioMaster III seemed very solid.  The Aegis guy had the guts to multitask
AM3, the CD player, AND their new 3D Titling software in 5 Megs.

+---
Robert Huebner		huebner@aerospace.aero.org
			The Aerospace Corporation
Note: I am not associated with OXXI/Aegis, and my impressions may not be
      correct nor my observations all inclusive
+---

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (10/09/90)

(Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
|Don't forget AudioMaster III! That thing should be good, according to
|what AM II waslike.

     Do you (or does anybody else) have any idea when AudioMaster III
will be out?  I'd really like to have that program.  "Perfect Sound"
v.3 isn't.

                                    --dds

Hark! Hark! The dogs do bark,       | Dale D. Snell       BIX:  ddsnell
The Duke is fond of kittens.        | Usenet:  dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
He likes to turn their insides out, | C$erve:  74756.666@compuserve.COM
And use their fur for mittens!      | What's a disclaimer?

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (10/10/90)

>In article <87929@aerospace.AERO.ORG> huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert Huebner) writes:
>In article <4oHJq4w163w@valnet>, joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P.
>Hillenburg) writes:
>|> Don't forget AudioMaster III! That thing should be good, according to
>|> what AM II waslike.
>|>

>They (OXXI/Aegis) showed AudioMaster III at AmiEXPO here in LA.  It is
>basically
>the same interface as the previous release, but with two new features and some
>included programs:

>AudioMaster III seemed very solid.  The Aegis guy had the guts to multitask
>AM3, the CD player, AND their new 3D Titling software in 5 Megs.

Does it support the Perfect Sound 3.0 sampler hardware?

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert Huebner) (10/11/90)

In article <david.10078@starsoft.UUCP>, david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave
Lowrey) writes:
|> I wrote:
|> >AudioMaster III seemed very solid.  The Aegis guy had the guts to multitask
|> >AM3, the CD player, AND their new 3D Titling software in 5 Megs.
|> Does it support the Perfect Sound 3.0 sampler hardware?

The person doing the demonstration clearly stated that AMIII supports all
incarnations of Perfect Sound and most other digitizing hardware.  He even
predicted that using Perfect Sound with AM3 would give better results that
the included software, but I can neither confirm nor refute this, having
never used PerfectSound.  I suppose his claim comes from the higher sampling
rate possible with AudioMaster III.

BTW- The retail price is about $95.  Upgrades are available by calling OXXI/
Aegis directly, but he wouldn't state a price.

+----