[comp.sys.amiga] Quetsions about the 3000...

IO91461@MAINE.BITNET (Tom Nezwek) (10/04/90)

          I have a few questions that maybe some 3000 owner
     could answer...

          1. Does the amber chip fill in the missing scanlines
             when in non-interlace mode like the flicker fixer
             does?  IE: are there missing scanlines in 300 x 200 mode?

          2. Is the built in SCSI controller basically a 2091?
             If I bought a 3000, I would want to be able to put at least
             2 Quantum 105s in one.  If the built in controller is
             like the 2091 then I would have problems transfering files
             from one hd to the other without crashing...  This is
             a well known bug in the 2091 controller and has been
             discussed recently..

                         -Thanks for the info
                            -Tom Nezwek

In <730012@hpmwngf.HP.COM>, mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) writes:

> >         2. Is the built in SCSI controller basically a 2091?
> >            If I bought a 3000, I would want to be able to put at least
> >            2 Quantum 105s in one.  If the built in controller is
> >            like the 2091 then I would have problems transfering files
> >            from one hd to the other without crashing...  This is
> >            a well known bug in the 2091 controller and has been
> >            discussed recently..
>
>	Sorry, can't help you there.... maybe someone else can assist here.

Must have missed this one on the first go-around...

The built-in SCSI host adapter is, for all intents and purposes, a 2091
lookalike. It has no problem with two Q105s, or any other combination of up to
about 5 different drives that I have tried. One of the problems that can cause
you to crash while transferring data from one drive to another is when you have
'reselection' enabled. I don't know if this is a Quantum or a CBM problem, but
it has caused headaches to some folks. Disable reselection on your
2091-attached drives and try again. Once you have it working fine, the same
setup should work on the 3000. In fact, you will not have to do anything but
move the disks over.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (10/04/90)

 >         I have a few questions that maybe some 3000 owner
 >          could answer...
 >
 >         1. Does the amber chip fill in the missing scanlines
 >            when in non-interlace mode like the flicker fixer
 >            does?  IE: are there missing scanlines in 300 x 200 mode?

	Yes... Amber fills in the 'missing' scanlines in non-interlace
	modes.... but only with a multisync or similar monitor
	(eg: the Commodore 1950 [did I get the number right??? hope so])
	the ol' 1040 style RGB monitors can't take advantage of Amber.

 >         2. Is the built in SCSI controller basically a 2091?
 >            If I bought a 3000, I would want to be able to put at least
 >            2 Quantum 105s in one.  If the built in controller is
 >            like the 2091 then I would have problems transfering files
 >            from one hd to the other without crashing...  This is
 >            a well known bug in the 2091 controller and has been
 >            discussed recently..

	Sorry, can't help you there.... maybe someone else can assist here.

	-MP-

In article <90276.132159IO91461@MAINE.BITNET> IO91461@MAINE.BITNET (Tom Nezwek) writes:

>          I have a few questions that maybe some 3000 owner
>     could answer...

How about a 3000 designer (although I had little to do with the areas in
question...).

>          1. Does the amber chip fill in the missing scanlines
>             when in non-interlace mode like the flicker fixer
>             does?  IE: are there missing scanlines in 300 x 200 mode?

Amber is clever enough to do scanline doubling for any non-interlaced mode.
What this means is that a single 15kHz scan line is buffered and then sent
out as two 31kHz lines.  So you don't see the black line bands as with normal
NTSC type display, and there's no full screen buffering as with Amber's
de-interlacing modes, so you don't get any slowdown effects -- everything
still acts as a 50 or 60Hz mode should.

>          2. Is the built in SCSI controller basically a 2091?

It is essentially a high speed, 32 bit A2091.  The A3000 disk software is an
update of the A2091 stuff.

>             If I bought a 3000, I would want to be able to put at least
>             2 Quantum 105s in one.

Two would fit inside; you'll need an external box for more of them.

>             If the built in controller is like the 2091 then I would have
>             problems transfering files from one hd to the other without
>             crashing...  This is a well known bug in the 2091 controller and
>             has been discussed recently..

Well, this problem actually has nothing to do with the 2091 per se, it's a
bug in the Western Digital SCSI chip used for both 2091 and A3000.  The last
revision of the SCSI chip had bugs that broke reselect capability at the high
level of software, so the A2091 and A3000 SCSI drivers solved the problem using
low level commands.  The new release of the chip fixed the high level commands
but broke the low level commands.  So, in multi-drive 2091 or 3000 setups
using this chip, it is best to say "no" to the "supports reselect" option in
HDToolBox, and everything is cool.  A new device driver will apparently fix
this, going to the fixed high level commands in the new chip.

>                            -Tom Nezwek

	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM

wschmidt@phobix (Wolfram Schmidt) (10/06/90)

In article <2084@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
[...]
>The built-in SCSI host adapter is, for all intents and purposes, a 2091
>lookalike. It has no problem with two Q105s, or any other combination of up to

Because my PD170S is SCSI-2: Somone claimed the A3000 SCSI was SCSI-2,
someone else said it was SCSI-1. What's correct?

>about 5 different drives that I have tried. One of the problems that can cause
>you to crash while transferring data from one drive to another is when you have
>'reselection' enabled. I don't know if this is a Quantum or a CBM problem, but
[...]

If this is a CBM problem, will this be fixed in the final 2.0 release?
If it is an Quantum problem, is it only with their small drives or also
with the SCSI-2 drives?

[...]
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|   //   Larry Phillips                                                 |
>| \X/    lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca -or- uunet!van-bc!lpami!lphillips |
>|        COMPUSERVE: 76703,4322  -or-  76703.4322@compuserve.com        |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

Wolfram
--
Wolfram Schmidt
Regardless what some silly news software tries to tell you my email address is:

blgardne@javelin.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (10/08/90)

> >         2. Is the built in SCSI controller basically a 2091?
> >            If I bought a 3000, I would want to be able to put at least
> >            2 Quantum 105s in one.  If the built in controller is
> >            like the 2091 then I would have problems transfering files
> >            from one hd to the other without crashing...  This is
> >            a well known bug in the 2091 controller and has been
> >            discussed recently..

I've got a Quantum Q170S and a CDC Wren III hooked to my A3000. The
Quantum in in the stock drive's place, and the Wren is on the external
SCSI port. Everything is working perfectly, but it took a little time to
get there. You must have deselect/reselect disabled on all drives, or
you'll have problems. Also if you're installing the system software onto
a new drive from scratch, you MUST boot Kickstart from floppy, not the
hard drive. This is mentioned in the docs, but I tried to take a
shortcut, and cost myself hours of grief.

There's one other problem I ran into. Booting the A3000 install disk
never worked for me, I'd get a system lockup (no guru, just dead)
part way through the prep/format/install procedure. If I booted the
A3000 workbench disk, then ran the prep procedure, everything worked.

I don't remember the details because once I got it to work, I quit
messing with it. If you're not replacing the stock drive, you shouldn't
have any problems with this though.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP                       BIX: blaine_g

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) (10/09/90)

In article <14916@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>The last revision of the SCSI chip had bugs that broke reselect
>capability at the high level of software, so the A2091 and A3000 SCSI
>drivers solved the problem using low level commands.  The new release of
>the chip fixed the high level commands but broke the low level commands.
>So, in multi-drive 2091 or 3000 setups using this chip, it is best to
>say "no" to the "supports reselect" option in HDToolBox, and everything
>is cool.

Except a bit of SCSI bus bandwidth is wasted, right?

>A new device driver will apparently fix this, going to the fixed high
>level commands in the new chip.

So, does this mean that the 2091 (and 3000) using the new driver will or
won't support reselection?  From your description, it sorta sounds like
the problem was fixed by just not doing reselection in the driver....

>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"

-hans

  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
  ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com		Customer Support Center
  ...decwrl!elvira.enet!ridder		Colorado Springs, CO

In article <1791@shodha.enet.dec.com> ridder@elvira.UUCP (Hans Ridder) writes:
>In article <14916@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>Except a bit of SCSI bus bandwidth is wasted, right?

I suppose...

>>A new device driver will apparently fix this, going to the fixed high
>>level commands in the new chip.

>So, does this mean that the 2091 (and 3000) using the new driver will or
>won't support reselection?  From your description, it sorta sounds like
>the problem was fixed by just not doing reselection in the driver....

The problem was circumvented by not doing reselection, programmable via
mountlist or RDB parameters.  That's not a fix.  A new device driver with
the now-working Western Digital high level SCSI commands should be a fix,
not a work around, to this problem.

olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Toad) (10/11/90)

In article <15007@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <1791@shodha.enet.dec.com> ridder@elvira.UUCP (Hans Ridder) writes:
>
>>So, does this mean that the 2091 (and 3000) using the new driver will or
>>won't support reselection?  From your description, it sorta sounds like
>>the problem was fixed by just not doing reselection in the driver....
>
>The problem was circumvented by not doing reselection, programmable via
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
doesn't work to well on a tape drive. :-)

>mountlist or RDB parameters.  That's not a fix.  A new device driver with
>the now-working Western Digital high level SCSI commands should be a fix,
>not a work around, to this problem.

But where the HELL do we get this?  I have spoken to my local dealer, and
even called California to see if I could get the update, and nobody knows
or has even heard about it.  It is rather frustrating to be backing up a
140 meg partition with 5 files to go and then do a list and have the damn
computer lock up.  Not to mention the location zero bug that causes
problems with several programs.

>>  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
>--
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"

--
 olson@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | "When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant
 olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | I could hardly stand to be around him. When I