[comp.sys.amiga] Purchase of an Amiga 3000 from the US

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Small Guts) (10/09/90)

  I am disgruntled with C='s treatment of the Australian Tertiary
Institutions. I am very interested in purchasing a 3000 from the US.
However, I am hung up on several details :

			1) Cost of the ACTUAL computer (25/40, no monitor)
			2) Cost of SHIPPING
			3) Will I need NTSC->PAL conversion?
			4) Safety of the US postal system (or courier)
			5) Who do I trust to place the order?

  If anyone would be kind enough (dealers or their reps included) to answer
me directly by email, I would very much appreciate it. And if anyone  from
C= in the US can tell me why C= Australia is so HOPELESS, then please let
me in on the secret. By comparison, comparing C= US to C= Australia is like
comparing a Porsche to a Volkswagen; One goes quick when and where you want
to, the other breaks down and isn't much help at all.

  I look forward to all replies. Thank you.
Alex Krooglik					krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au
University of Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia.

The following are a bunch of irrelevent comments.

In article <5719@munnari.oz.au> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Small Guts) writes:
> 			4) Safety of the US postal system (or courier)

Better than the safety of Australia Post. Having had various expensive-looking
packages disappear into the bowels of GPO Sydney over the years, I'd be more
worried about that.

> By comparison, comparing C= US to C= Australia is like
> comparing a Porsche to a Volkswagen; One goes quick when and where you want
> to, the other breaks down and isn't much help at all.

And I'd say the Volkswagen is more reliable. I know a guy with two Porsches,
and they're both junk. He keeps a fire extinguisher handy in his 911, because
the engine keeps catching on fire. On the other hand you can fix a VW Beetle
with a bobby pin and panty hose.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) (10/11/90)

From article <6762@sugar.hackercorp.com>, by peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva):
[...]
> And I'd say the Volkswagen is more reliable. I know a guy with two Porsches,
> and they're both junk. He keeps a fire extinguisher handy in his 911, because
> the engine keeps catching on fire. On the other hand you can fix a VW Beetle
> with a bobby pin and panty hose.

Off news group I know, but ...

In my capacity as a member of the local volunteer Fire Brigade, I've put
out more VWs than any other brand of car.
Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.