[comp.sys.amiga] Amax II partition

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (10/01/90)

I have Amax II on a 3000/25 w/ a 50 meg stock hard drive. I got it up and
running ok, and the partition works fine on the Amax end. PROBLEM: I still
have the partition cluttering my WorkBench screen, the manul talks of not
mounting it until you need, it, but apparently it auto-mount. Any ideas?
Can I un-mount it or what????

Duane

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/02/90)

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:

> I have Amax II on a 3000/25 w/ a 50 meg stock hard drive. I got it up and
> running ok, and the partition works fine on the Amax end. PROBLEM: I still
> have the partition cluttering my WorkBench screen, the manul talks of not
> mounting it until you need, it, but apparently it auto-mount. Any ideas?
> Can I un-mount it or what????
>
> Duane

AmigaDOS 2.0 automounts SCSI devices,

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (10/03/90)

Yea, I know it gets automounted. I know how to disable its auto-mount, but
can not mount it once I am in dos and want to use the partition..

Duane

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (10/03/90)

I have the same situation - got that AMAX partition on my WorkBench.
I used my 2091 HD tools to disable that partition's autoboot, so it
went away, and am now in the process of building a mountlist entry
for AMAX.  I will try putting the mount command in a script which
will call A-Max II after mounting the partition.  In theory, this
SHOULD work.   I will post if it any problems pop up.

In the meantime, does anyone know where I can find the INIT that will
load the default Mac settings, such as mouse speed from disk??  I'm
getting tired of having TABLET mouse speed every time I start up!  :-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

blatter@gorgo.ifi.unizh.ch (Martin Blatter) (10/03/90)

In article <FuPDq3w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:
>
>> I have Amax II on a 3000/25 w/ a 50 meg stock hard drive. I got it up and
>> running ok, and the partition works fine on the Amax end. PROBLEM: I still
>> have the partition cluttering my WorkBench screen, the manul talks of not
>> mounting it until you need, it, but apparently it auto-mount. Any ideas?
>> Can I un-mount it or what????
>
>AmigaDOS 2.0 automounts SCSI devices,

Actually, that's not true. HDToolbox allows you to specify a partition as
"not automounting". This option is hidden in the "Change File System" screen
in the "Advanced options" part of the "partition drive" section. Don't forget
to save the changes to the drive before leaving HDToolbox.

But you'll have to create a mountlist in order to mount the A-MAX partition
before you run A-MAX. To do this, get a utility like "DosInfo" and run it
while the A-MAX partition is still automounted. Add the output to your
mountlist and create a script file that mounts the partition like that:

mount AMAXWhatever: from devs:name_of_your_mountlist

Hope that helps!

					--Martin
>-Joseph Hillenburg

Martin A. Blatter       blatter@ifi.unizh.ch (University of Zurich)
                        cbmehq!cbmswi!zethos!blatter@cbmvax.commodore.com
                        "There's a light where the darkness ends" (Taupin)

uphwk@TERRA.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU (Bill Kinnersley) (10/09/90)

[In "Amax II partition" <1990Oct3.121821.8760@gorgo.ifi.unizh.ch>,
      blatter@gorgo.ifi.unizh.ch (Martin Blatter) said:]
:>
:>AmigaDOS 2.0 automounts SCSI devices,
:
:Actually, that's not true. HDToolbox allows you to specify a partition as
:"not automounting". This option is hidden in the "Change File System" screen
:in the "Advanced options" part of the "partition drive" section. Don't forget
:to save the changes to the drive before leaving HDToolbox.
:
:But you'll have to create a mountlist in order to mount the A-MAX partition
:before you run A-MAX. To do this, get a utility like "DosInfo" and run it
:while the A-MAX partition is still automounted. Add the output to your
:mountlist and create a script file that mounts the partition like that:
:
:mount AMAXWhatever: from devs:name_of_your_mountlist
:

Sounds good!  Where does one get DosInfo?

--
--Bill Kinnersley
  Physics Department   Montana State University    Bozeman, MT 59717

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (10/09/90)

I tried using DOSINFO to create a mountlist, but it didn't work. After removing any lines that "MOUNT" claimed were 'errors', it apparently mounts, and
subsequent mount attempts return "already mounted"; yet, the partitition is not
available to amax, nor does it turn up on info lists... what gives?? Here is
my mountlist entry:

#

Amax1:
	Device         = scsi.device
	Unit           = 6
	Flags          = 0
	FileSystem     = ffsystem
	GlobVec        = 0
	BlockSize      = 128
	Surfaces       = 1
	BlocksPerTrack = 49
	Reserved       = 2
	PreAlloc       = 0
	Interleave     = 0
	LowCyl         = 1880
	HighCyl        = 2084
	Buffers        = 50
	BufMemType     = 0
	MaxTransfer    = 0x00FFFFFF
	Mask           = 0x7FFFFFFE
	BootPri        = 0
	DOSType        = 0x444F5301
#

Thanks...

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (10/10/90)

In article <8925@helios.TAMU.EDU>, n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) says:

>(The partition) apparently mounts, and subsequent mount attempts return
>"already mounted"; yet, the partitition is not available to amax, nor
>does it turn up on info lists... what gives??
>my mountlist entry:

Almost EXACTLY my problem too.  I seem to be a tiny bit further along,
as mine will show up in the INFO list, but as above, A-Max doesn't like
the partition unless it is automounted.  It seems like A-Max TRIES to
access the drive because the light flashes intermittently, but the disk
with the big "X" in it just flashes on the screen & A-Max won't boot
from the HD.

What I'm asking is this:  Has ANYONE gotten A-Max to work with their
non-automounting A-Max HD partition?  If so, please send Duane and I
copies of your mountlist, and also tell us what HD and controller you
have.  Better yet, post it to the net, 'cause I don't think we're the
only ones with this problem.
                                            Thanks!

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (10/10/90)

In article <90282.202355JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>What I'm asking is this:  Has ANYONE gotten A-Max to work with their
>non-automounting A-Max HD partition?  If so, please send Duane and I
>copies of your mountlist, and also tell us what HD and controller you
>have.  Better yet, post it to the net, 'cause I don't think we're the
>only ones with this problem.

Ok... who's going to be the next GOD and tell us AutoBooting and NonAutoboting
people, the EXACT WAY to get Amax II working on our Hard Drives. We've
all seen too many posts about the subject. If you know the exact step
by step procedure to get AMAX II on the HD, say two five meg partitions
for examples, please put em up here. let us know exactly what to do...
shine Amigaian's.

1) Talk about the Mountlist
2) Talk about the hidden gadget etc etc
3) Get this sucker up and working...

!!!
-jeremy

donb@bushido.uucp (Donald Burnett) (10/10/90)

In article <9010091338.AA23337@terra.oscs.montana.edu> uphwk@terra.oscs.montana.edu (Bill Kinnersley) writes:
>[In "Amax II partition" <1990Oct3.121821.8760@gorgo.ifi.unizh.ch>,
>      blatter@gorgo.ifi.unizh.ch (Martin Blatter) said:]
>:>
>:>AmigaDOS 2.0 automounts SCSI devices,
>:
>:Actually, that's not true. HDToolbox allows you to specify a partition as
>:"not automounting". This option is hidden in the "Change File System" screen
>:in the "Advanced options" part of the "partition drive" section. Don't forget
>:to save the changes to the drive before leaving HDToolbox.
>:
>:But you'll have to create a mountlist in order to mount the A-MAX partition
>:before you run A-MAX. To do this, get a utility like "DosInfo" and run it
>:while the A-MAX partition is still automounted. Add the output to your
>:mountlist and create a script file that mounts the partition like that:
>:
>:mount AMAXWhatever: from devs:name_of_your_mountlist
>:
>
>Sounds good!  Where does one get DosInfo?
>
>--
>--Bill Kinnersley
>  Physics Department   Montana State University    Bozeman, MT 59717
>  INTERNET: uphwk@terra.oscs.montana.edu      BITNET: UPHWK@MTSUNIX1
>226 Transfer complete.

Note: for all just reading this thread AmigaDOS with an A2091/a590 or
A3000 will automount PARTITIONS because these controllers know about
rigid disk blocks. AmigaDOS 2.0 will not necessarily automount partitions
on other controllers.

*********    donb@bushido.uucp                            ******
********* "My Opinions are my own, not anyone else's      ******
********* Organizational Affiliations                     ******
********* CreativEdge Systems, the Multimedia Solution    ******
********* The Computer Shoppe, Ypsilanti-Ann Arbor, MI's  ******
********* Commodore-Amiga Education Dealer                ******

donb@bushido.uucp (Donald Burnett) (10/10/90)

All amaxII does actually is look at the first two lines of that mountlist.
I have also found it impossible to get AMAXII to work on an A3000 or A2091
based machine without making the AMAX partition an AUTOMOUNT partition.
I think it's actually a software bug.

*********    donb@bushido.uucp                            ******
********* "My Opinions are my own, not anyone else's      ******
********* Organizational Affiliations                     ******
********* CreativEdge Systems, the Multimedia Solution    ******
********* The Computer Shoppe, Ypsilanti-Ann Arbor, MI's  ******
********* Commodore-Amiga Education Dealer                ******

gwalborn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Gary D Walborn) (10/11/90)

Fellow AMAX II users,
    My AMAX seems to be very happy with my hard disk partition, but I am not
sure exactly what steps (and in what order) I used to make this happen.  It
sounds like I went through what most of you are attempting and tried at least
six different set-ups before I found one that works.  I DO NOT have to mount
my AMAX partition, but no icon shows up on the Workbench.  As soon as I select
'GO AMAX' the Mac screen comes up with a smiling Mac and, PRESTO, I boot from
the hard disk.
    I have reserved a 50 Meg partition on my Maxtor 2190 230Meg drive for the
Mac side and I am running 6.something.  I have used my AMAX much more in the
2 weeks since I partitioned my hard disk than I did in the year or so prior.
If anyone is interested, I could list the options selected by the HDTOOLS
program for that partition.

Gary Walborn (gwalborn@unix.cis.pitt.edu)
             (216) 758-8323 or (216) 726-8450

golden@frith.uucp (James S Golden) (10/11/90)

Here's my two cents worth on mounting a device without having an icon show
on the Workbench:

  1)  Automount merely means that the driver for the device is loaded
      when the device is mounted, instead of waiting until the device
      is first accessed.

  2)  Mounting a non-Automount device merely interprets the mountlist
      and places the appropriate information in an "available devices
      list" for later reference should the device be accessed.  This
      way the drivers are loaded later and memory is saved should the
      device never be accessed.

  3)  "LoadWB" loads the Workbench environment and all the disk.info's
      (disk icon files) for filesystem devices.  If a device is non-
      Automount and it is mounted before the LoadWB command, then no
      icon will show.  (Since the device driver isn't loaded yet the
      system treats the device like a floppy disk that's not in the
      drive [just an analogy... no flames, please!])  The device is
      non-Automount, meaning that the driver isn't loaded until the
      first *AMIGA-DOS* access of the device.  This explains why
      Amax couldn't use the partition <- it's driver was never loaded
      even though it's spec's were mounted.

      If a device has an Automount mountlist entry and it is mounted
      before the LoadWB command, then an icon will show and the
      device will be immediately available since the driver was pre-
      loaded.

      Now for the point:

      If a device has an Automount mountlist entry and it is mounted
      *AFTER* the LoadWB command, the an icon will NOT show and the
      device will be immediately available since the driver was pre-
      loaded.  The icon doesn't show since LoadWB has already loaded
      all the disk.info's and since a hard-drive partition is non-
      removable, Workbench doesn't check for diskchanges which would
      prompt it to load a new disk.info ...

		 Of course then there's WB2.0 ..... ?

			     - Mike Golden
			       Electrical Engineering