[comp.sys.amiga] Rexx

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (08/29/90)

According to this weeks INFO WORLD, IBM is planning to release REXX as
part of the software development kit distributed with OS/2.  It is
quite hilarious to read what the IW journalists make of this---will
it replace Basic, or COBOL, they ask?

In the IBM mainframe world, REXX is a very important part of the glue that
allows users to develop systems.  Curiously, even in that environment, REXX
is not as powerful as Amiga's AREXX.  I think this is because with the Amiga
it is common practice to get separate processes to talk to one another via
their REXX ports, while in the IBM mainframe world a user does not
have the ability to do this.  OS/2 certainly *could* be set up like
AREXX, but I don't know if it will be.

One of IW's pundits dismissed REXX as a "glorified .BAT language".  Boy!
I'll say.

         lee

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (10/10/90)

I have a few questions about rexx. I am wanting to write a script for Atalk or
VLT. I want the Rexx script to send commands to Atlk (or vlt) and then get
rex commands from Atalk, but here is the prob: How do I make Atalk send a mesg
to the rexx script in progress to do something?
Example, The script tells Atalk to "DIAL xxx-xxx" it then tells Atalk to
"WAIT for 'Conect'" or whatever and then log that it made a connection before
continuing. This way I could make it log on, check my mail, read news, or
whatever. And, NO I don't wont to just buffer the whole thing!!!

Duane

In article <8933@helios.TAMU.EDU> n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:
>I have a few questions about rexx. I am wanting to write a script for Atalk or
>VLT. I want the Rexx script to send commands to Atlk (or vlt) and then get
>rex commands from Atalk, but here is the prob: How do I make Atalk send a mesg
>to the rexx script in progress to do something?
>Example, The script tells Atalk to "DIAL xxx-xxx" it then tells Atalk to
>"WAIT for 'Conect'" or whatever and then log that it made a connection before
>continuing. This way I could make it log on, check my mail, read news, or
>whatever. And, NO I don't wont to just buffer the whole thing!!!

I can only speak for A-Talk III scripts, but the script DIAL command will
do the appropriate exchange, including gobbling the CONNECT string.  It will
also put the result of DIAL in the RC variable, so the Rexx script can
check for success/failure of the dial.  Of course you must have selected
the appropriate modem for this to work.   You could also do away with
the DIAL command and implement it with:

REPLY "ATDT666-888"
ON "CONNECT" do this
ON "BUSY" goto there

etc...

Note that the RC variable is set only in later versions of 1.2 and in all
versions of A-Talk III 1.3x (x = a, b, c).

A-Talk III has the STRING command to send input string from the host back
to the Arexx script. Look at the examples in the manual, under the STRING
script command.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (10/11/90)

I have yet one more REXX question, I want to send variable arguments to atalk3.
example: (rexx program)

/* program */
test="Howdy user"

address atk "echo" user
/*end*/

This program makes atalk echo only "H" what am I doing wrong?
-Duane

In article <8971@helios.TAMU.EDU> n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:
>I have yet one more REXX question, I want to send variable arguments to atalk3.
>example: (rexx program)
>/* program */
>test="Howdy user"
>address atk "echo" user
>/*end*/
>This program makes atalk echo only "H" what am I doing wrong?

Wrong syntax.  Check the syntax for ECHO on p. 11-8, and the Arexx example
on p. C-3 of the A-Talk III manual.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (10/11/90)

OOPS!!!!
I made an error in my previous post!! The Rexx line should read:

address atk "echo" test

where test is the variable which holds a string.....

So sorry to take up the bandwidth....