[comp.sys.amiga] Printing danish from Textcraft+ - How?

kimberg@imada.dk (Kim Berg Hansen) (10/09/90)

I've got a problem printing the special danish characters on my
Nec P2200 when using Textcraft+.
I am using the correct printerdriver and keymap, but it still wont
work. It prints square brackets and other characters instead.
What to do ?

Kim Berg Hansen     kimberg@imada.dk

In article <1990Oct9.084025.21121@imada.dk> kimberg@imada.dk (Kim Berg Hansen) writes:
>I've got a problem printing the special danish characters on my
>Nec P2200 when using Textcraft+.
>I am using the correct printerdriver and keymap, but it still wont
>work. It prints square brackets and other characters instead.
>What to do ?

No way. Textcraft has hardcoded key translation tables built-in.
A wonderful example of how not to do it. This is the reason we
canceled it in Germany, you simply couldn't use it correctly,
though we even had a "special German version".

In those days, 4 years ago, we used a file monitor to patch that
damned keymapping on our own, but it didn't help enough.
(Plus would have been illegal to distribute as it was altered
without permission of the original authors.)

But as far as I know, a newly updated version of this old one now
is sold as "Kindwords", with the same user interface. But I don't
know whether they fixed their keyboard problem.

rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF) (10/11/90)

>I've got a problem printing the special danish characters on my
>Nec P2200 when using Textcraft+.
>I am using the correct printerdriver and keymap, but it still wont
>work. It prints square brackets and other characters instead.
>What to do ?

The P2200 printer driver sends the wrong codes to the printer for some
of the Amiga characters. It's quite easy to fix with some help of NewZap
and the printer manual. See what the printer driver sends out, find the
codes with newzap and change them to the correct codes.

--------
Robin Rosenberg