[comp.sys.amiga] AMAX Transfers...

v092mgp5@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (10/03/90)

     I think I asked the question before, but got no reply.  Is it possible
to transfer AMAX format files back to a Macintosh format disk WITHOUT
a Mac drive under AMAX?  How about AMAX II?

                                       Scott Wood
 				BITNET : v092mgp5@UBVMSD.BTINET
                              INTERNET : v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

johnhlee@fulla.cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) (10/04/90)

In article <38758@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v092mgp5@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>     I think I asked the question before, but got no reply.  Is it possible
>to transfer AMAX format files back to a Macintosh format disk WITHOUT
>a Mac drive under AMAX?  How about AMAX II?

Unfortunately, No and no.  The manual specifically states this.  I didn't
believe it and tried to set up a Macintosh SE and Macintosh II to receive
the transfer disks created in AMax.  The transfer software just crashed.
Attempting to use a Mini-Transfer disk won't work either; trying to write
to it under AMax causes it to be corrupt on the Machintosh side.

I believe this is because the programs for each side of the transfer
are specific to their respective floppy controllers.  I do believe that
software CAN be written to go from AMax to a Macintosh, but have not seen
any nor am I sufficiently versed in the Macintosh to write it myself.

If you want to transfer file from AMax to a Macintosh (besides via serial
port) you're forced to get a Macintosh drive.  I was.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

mueller@tigger.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) (10/04/90)

In article <46618@cornell.UUCP> johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) writes:
>In article <38758@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v092mgp5@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>>     I think I asked the question before, but got no reply.  Is it possible
>>to transfer AMAX format files back to a Macintosh format disk WITHOUT
>>a Mac drive under AMAX?  How about AMAX II?
>
>Unfortunately, No and no.
[...]
>If you want to transfer file from AMax to a Macintosh (besides via serial
>port) you're forced to get a Macintosh drive.  I was.

Well, it IS possible in a roundabout sort of way, provided you have access
to the right equipment and software:

1.  Transfer the file from Amax to Amigados.  Supposedly Amax I provides
    this capability (mine didn't) but Amax II definitely does.
2.  Transfer the file from Amigados to MSDOS.  Use MSH or CrossDos for this.
3.  Transfer the file from MSDOS to Mac.  This requires a Mac with a FDHD
    'superdrive' and the Apple File Exchange software or Dos Mounter.

Messy, but possible.  Having an Apple drive makes it easy.

-Carl Mueller (mueller@cs.unc.edu)

Patrick Atoon (10/10/90)

mueller@tigger.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) writes:

>Well, it IS possible in a roundabout sort of way, provided you have access
>to the right equipment and software:

>1.  Transfer the file from Amax to Amigados.  Supposedly Amax I provides
>    this capability (mine didn't) but Amax II definitely does.

This possibility came to my mind also. The only question is --> HOW ? <--.
Shed a piece of light onto my humble ignorance, that it may shine in knowledge.

| Patrick Atoon           |  See y'all at Amiga'90 in Koeln (Germany)      |
| University of Nijmegen  |  on 8,9,10,11 november. Be there or be square. |
| E-mail: ovb10@cs.kun.nl |                                                |
+-------------------------+------------------------------------------------+

iwm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) (10/12/90)

In article <2277@wn1.sci.kun.nl> Patrick Atoon writes:

  >>1.  Transfer the file from Amax to Amigados.  Supposedly Amax I provides
  >>    this capability (mine didn't) but Amax II definitely does.
  >  This possibility came to my mind also. The only question is --> HOW ? <--.

I've managed to do this as follows:

  1. Start up amax
  2. Run the File transfer program (on the utilities disk I think)
  3. Select the format FTF disk and insert a new disk in the internal drive.
  4. Select `to FTF disk'
  5. Click the files to transfer on the requester

The program seems to need to eject the disk and ask for it again -- if you
ignore this and click on the requestor it dies.

Boot using the amax disk but do't go into amax, use the file transfer program
to copy the files off the FTF disk.

For some reason I cannot get the file transfer program to work properly unless
I boot from the amax disk, it copies 1 file and sits there with the drive
light on. I suspect some problem with interrupts, the amigados side of the
process is VERY slow anyway.
I dislike having to use FTF disks, the only way of listing their contents is to
write then to another disk! Mysterious and inconsistent error messages appear
(what is Error -65 on a Mac ?).

--
Ian W Moor
  ARPA: iwm@doc.ic.ac.uk

 Department of Computing,         (The skin is mightier than the banana)
 Imperial College.
 180 Queensgate
 London SW7 UK.