[comp.sys.amiga] Hard disk problems

BRADFORD@BUASTA.BITNET (David A. Bradford) (03/15/88)

I am having a problem with my hard disk system: an  A2090 controler and
seagate st277N drive (I think, could be st227N - it is 65 meg's).  Whenever
I try to store a high resolution file (640x200, 640x400, etc.) I receive a
complaint about disk errors.  This brings a requestor to the screen, I then
hit RETRY and it succeeds (since the lo-res workbench screen is now up front).
Anyway, I think this is a familiar problem, my question is what to do?
Does these problem mean I have an old hard disk driver?  Is it fixed by
a new one?  If so, how do I get a copy of the new one (and while I'm
complaining, why didn't the new one come with my controller)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

David Bradford
Astronomy Department
Boston University
BITNET: bradford@buasta
INTERNET: bradford@buasta.bu.edu

kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) (05/26/88)

(This is a repost, due to phone problems my first posting got lost.....)

I am having problems with "bad blocks" on my C. Ltd SCSI.
When using the PD program Tracer (I am modifing it for SPEED) it
ocassionally (read 40-50% of the time) creates a bad block on my harddisk.
The bad block is always in the middle of the picture and can be found by
using DiskDoctor.  When I try to re-format (HDFormat (i.e. low level)) I
don't come up with any bad blocks.  Does anyone know how to use DiskDoctor
information to update a bad sector list (need cylinder, surface and BFI
(byte offset)?

Please help me, I am losing my faith in my Amiga (oooohhhh nnnnooooo!) as a
development machine, this problem has cost me MANY MAN HOURS!!!

P.S.
	Oh yea, my current configuration is:
	Amiga 1000 (March 86 vintage)
	512K memory
	PROPER GROUNDED PALS on Amiga daughter board
	C.Ltd SCSI controller w/SCSIDOS v2.01 andrequired PAL upgrade
	Adaptec 4070a RLL SCSI<->ST506 adapter
	Seagate ST238R 30Mb RLL certified harddisk

P.P.S.
	I also had trouble with the mount list, i.e. C.Ltd claims the ST238
	to be a 610 cylinder drive while Seagate says 615, who is right?
	Also does anyone have a GOOD mountlist for the above hardware that
	can be used as a floppy drive (i.e. I had one but it gave me
	problems.).

	THANX IN ADVANCE			KJohn (John Kjellman)

Contact me by snail at      John Kjellman
			    17302 Park Avenue
			    Lansing, IL 60438
			    voice:1(312)418-1236
or E-mail:  ihnp4!richp1!kjohn    (I have had problems with this so be
careful!)   I will post a summary if warrented.

thad@cup.portal.com (05/27/88)

From the Seagate manual for the ST238R, the drive has 4 heads, 615
cylinders, and 2 disks.

Probably C.Ltd wanted to be conservative, permitting 5 cylinders for
use containing alternate sectors (mapped out from lower-numbered cyls).

In article <5972@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com writes:
> From the Seagate manual for the ST238R, the drive has 4 heads, 615
> cylinders, and 2 disks.
>
> Probably C.Ltd wanted to be conservative, permitting 5 cylinders for
> use containing alternate sectors (mapped out from lower-numbered cyls).

I'll bet if you look at the specs for the ST238N (the SCSI version)
you will find the disk suddenly has fewer cylinders because the SCSI
controller reserves them for loading it's software and doing bad block
management. They are not available for general use. In general, whenever
on talks about a Seacrate^H^H^H^H^Hgate drive one has to specify the
letters and numbers after the model number because that has a very
definite effect on how one interprets the question.

--Chuck McManis

micha@ecrcvax.UUCP (Micha Meier) (11/02/88)

I've experienced recently some problems which are most probably related
to my hard disk. I've been porting a large program to the Amiga
in the past few weeks. When I've fixed the compilation errors,
I've recompiled the whole thing and got gurus which seemed to be
random, that is, when I got it on one file, it was there all the time,
but after a slight change it disappeared or vice versa, it appeared
on a file which was ok before. The guru type varies, sometimes
it's freeing a memory twice, sometimes illegal instruction or key already
free/used.
Although it is still possible that a bug in the compiler is involved,
I suspect that there is as well a problem with the hard disk. Therefore
I (desperately) need the answer to the following questions:

	- is it normal that my hard disk won't validate after a guru?
	  Why does this happen? Sometimes it's validated after a reboot,
	  sometimes not; sometimes it is possible to write to
	  a non-validated disk and sometimes not. Meanwhile I've changed
	  my t: setting to ram: and didn-t get any validation
	  problems since then, but I haven't tried it many times.
	  Is it possible that the validation problem is only due to t: ?

	- I got a guru when trying to delete a .o file of zero length
	  created by the compiler before it crashed. Does it mean that
	  there is a hard/soft error on the disk? The PD programs I know
	  of are able to restore files but not to repair the disk
	  itself - is there a program somewhere that would do this?

	- Since I have no other programs, I've tried diskdoctor
	  to repair the hard disk. It ended up by saying that two
	  keys are not readable. What is the key? How is it related
	  to the cylinder/head? When I've run diskdoctor for the second
	  time, it wrote the same message. I suppose therefore that
	  it does not try to correct the disk or that it did not succeed.

	- Is there a way to tell Amiga that there are some errors on the
	  hard disk without running the hard format? When I've tried to
	  reformat the disk with dpformat (I'm using a PC disk, ST-157R),
	  nothing really changed.

	- Even with the complete format, I cannot tell the controller
	  that there are some bad tracks on the disk since it asks
	  for the BFI number. Can someone tell me what BFI is (I know
	  what it stands for but this does not help me) and how to
	  work it out?

	- If I'm wrong and there is no hard error on the disk (after all,
	  I've reformatted it several times and run some PC tests on it),
	  what can be the problem? If it is only in the compiler, is it
	  possible to prevent it from messing up the disk when it crashes?
	  I somehow cannot make the ROM-wack work, when I
	  loadWB with -debug and select the Debug menu, it just does nothing,
	  is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for any hints/comments.

--Micha

US:	...!pyramid!ecrcvax!micha
Europe:	mcvax!unido!ecrcvax!micha
CSNET:	micha%ecrcvax.UUCP@Germany.CSNET
UK:	stl!ecrcvax!micha

In article <649@ecrcvax.UUCP> micha@ecrcvax.UUCP (Micha Meier) writes:
> The guru type varies, sometimes
>it's freeing a memory twice, sometimes illegal instruction or key already
>free/used.
>	- is it normal that my hard disk won't validate after a guru?

	It's certainly possible, especially since the Guru appears to be
disk-related, or writing to the disk was going on.  I disk that was being
written to during a crash can have any sort of garbage on it.

>	  Why does this happen? Sometimes it's validated after a reboot,
>	  sometimes not; sometimes it is possible to write to
>	  a non-validated disk and sometimes not. Meanwhile I've changed
>	  my t: setting to ram: and didn-t get any validation
>	  problems since then, but I haven't tried it many times.
>	  Is it possible that the validation problem is only due to t: ?

	Well, if the compiler crashes the system during a write to t:,
or when a file in t: is open, it will force a re-validate.  If there are
problems with the drive, they may show up during validation, or a crash
during write to the disk could destroy some important sectors, like the
root block, or a directory header block.

>	- I got a guru when trying to delete a .o file of zero length
>	  created by the compiler before it crashed. Does it mean that
>	  there is a hard/soft error on the disk? The PD programs I know
>	  of are able to restore files but not to repair the disk
>	  itself - is there a program somewhere that would do this?

	Which guru?  Was it one of the "DOS" guru's, like invalid key?
BTW, key == block number.  For saving data from dead drives, DiskSalv,
by Dave Haynie (on Fish disks, there's an _old_ one on Fish 20, I think
there's a new one on a rectent fish disk), appears to be very good at
recovering disks that have been wiped.  Note: the old version doesn't work
with FFS, the new one does.  Also note it copies the files to another disk,
instead of repairing in place.  This is good because then you can re-format
the drive, and restore.

>	- Since I have no other programs, I've tried diskdoctor
>	  to repair the hard disk. It ended up by saying that two
>	  keys are not readable. What is the key? How is it related
>	  to the cylinder/head? When I've run diskdoctor for the second
>	  time, it wrote the same message. I suppose therefore that
>	  it does not try to correct the disk or that it did not succeed.

	Key is the block number (sector number).  divide by sectors/cylinder
to get the cylinder, take the remainder and divide by sectors/track to get
head number, the remainder is the sector number.

	Sounds like there are two blocks that can't be read (read errors.)

>	- Is there a way to tell Amiga that there are some errors on the
>	  hard disk without running the hard format? When I've tried to
>	  reformat the disk with dpformat (I'm using a PC disk, ST-157R),
>	  nothing really changed.

	All controllers I've seen so far require a hard format to map out
bad sectors (NOT amigados format command).  Check the manufacturers
documentation for your hard drive.

>	- Even with the complete format, I cannot tell the controller
>	  that there are some bad tracks on the disk since it asks
>	  for the BFI number. Can someone tell me what BFI is (I know
>	  what it stands for but this does not help me) and how to
>	  work it out?

	BFI - Bytes From Index.  Note there are two BFI's: RLL and MFM.
Usually RLL drives have errors listed in RLL BFI, MFM (normal, older) drives
use MFM BFI.  For 512 bytes sectors, 1-1 interleave, I THINK the conversion
from sector->BFI is sector*(512+85) + (~256), which puts the error in
the "center" of the sector.  I'm not 100% certain this will work for RLL
BFI, and it certainly won't work for non 1-1 interleave.

>	- If I'm wrong and there is no hard error on the disk (after all,
>	  I've reformatted it several times and run some PC tests on it),
>	  what can be the problem? If it is only in the compiler, is it
>	  possible to prevent it from messing up the disk when it crashes?
>	  I somehow cannot make the ROM-wack work, when I
>	  loadWB with -debug and select the Debug menu, it just does nothing,
>	  is there something I'm missing?

	Format == AMigaDos Format command or manufacturers low-level hard
format program?

	In general, having a compiler Guru while writing to disk is a VERY
bad thing.  Can mess things up bad.  The question is whether the compiler
is dieing, and in the process trashing the HD, or whether the HD has bad spots,
and this is causing problems when the compiler writes to them.  I'd suspect
the first, especially if you don't get read/write errors.

	LoadWB -debug: Do you have a 9600 baud terminal attached to the
serial port?

--
You've heard of CATS? Well, I'm a member of DOGS: Developers Of Great Software.
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

rkwood@rosebud.UUCP (Randy Wood) (03/30/89)

HELP!!!

     I'm having some serious problems with my hard disk.  The hardware
consists of a C L'td SCSI controller (v. 2.x), an Adaptec 4000 SCSI->ST506
converter, and a Seagate ST-225 20 megabyte ST506 MFM hard drive.  The
software I'm currently running is WB 1.3 (FFS) and C L'td's SCSI_DOS v.
2.06.

     The problem is that the machine has great difficulty mounting DH0: the
first time I turn the machine on.  I have to Cntrl-A-A (warm boot) the
machine about a dozen times before it will recognize DH0: as a dos disk.
Otherwise it will pop up a little system requestor saying "Not a DOS Disk
in DH0:.... Use DiskDoctor...".  Once the machine recognizes DH0: I have no
further problems and subsequent warm-boots are trouble free.

     This problem first appeared the day after I ran B.A.D., a hard disk
optimizing program.  At first, I only had to try warm booting the machine
several times before my 1000 would recognize DH0: on the initial power-up.
However the situation has become progressively worse...   I've tried
reformatting DH0: with both the C L'td low-level utilities and the AmigaDOS
format command.  Everything looked OK until I powered down and then powered
back up....

     I would hate to think I might have to junk my hard drive, which had
worked perfectly for almost 2 years, in favor of a new Supra or C L'td
drive.   :^(    Do the comp.sys.amiga net-gods have any ideas or
suggestions???

--
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
|    Randy Wood       RKW Technologies, 271 NE 45th St, Seattle, WA  98105  |

jvmiller@zeno1.rdrc.rpi.edu (Jim Miller) (10/16/89)

I have recently been having problems with my 20 meg Supra
hard disk on my Amiga 1000.  Upon mounting the disk, it repsonds
with "No partion table found" (or some such information).  I have
been able to get it to mount intermittently.  If it does mount, then
while the disk is in use, it will change speeds and decide that this
is a good time to park the disk.  It lets the disk coast to a stop and
of course locks up the computer.  I had the disk for about 2 1/2 years.
I had to send it back once (about a year after I bought it) because the
medium had gotten damaged.

I haven't gotten a chance to call Supra yet (I don't feel like being
without my harddisk for a month).  It seems to me that the controller
seems to be misinterpretting commands like "move" as "park".

Does anyone have any suggestions other than contacting Supra?

Thanks,
Jimmy

It appears my original reply to Jim Miller's Q about problems with his HD
didn't get posted (there are still some quake-related problems zinging
PORTAL's disks) ...

my conjecture is the power supply.  I posted testing instructions; Jimmy,
send email and I'll walk you thru the procedure.  Replacement power supplies
should be readily available at surplus places in your area, and the mounting
holes are "almost" a universal standard so it can be an easy repair job.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu (12/21/89)

Posted for a friend:
>From tegge@idt.unit.no Mon Dec 18 12:19:06 1989

Subject: Help wanted

I've tried several times to post this question to I-AMIGA (on bitnet), but
some times the message were stopped ('list is held'), and other times the
messages seemed to be distributed, but no answers came ....

I have a ST296N harddisk, and an A590 harddisk-controller. Interleave 1:1
is kind of sssslllloooowwww. (100 K/sec, due to bug in the REV 8 ROM). I've
heard that interleave 1:2 is faster (400 K/sec). REV 7 ROM is without this
bug.

I've tried using the hdtoolbox program that came with the A590. There were
no way to select interleave value there.

I've tried putting an entry for the drive in the DEVS:mountlist file, and
found that if the partition started at cylinder 0, a low level format would
be done.  But, the interleave value in the mountlist entry was ignored.
(ARRGH!)

I'm using ARP1.3, but the mount command is from the Demo version of
CrossDos.

What i would like to have is :
  - Email address to seagate. (if one exists). Since this is a BUG,
    they ought to do something.
  - Documentation of the hddisk.device/xt.device/scsi.device on the A590,
    or information about where to get it.
    Then I may be able to write a program that sends the correct SCSI
    packet to the drive.
  - A utility program that supports low level format with different
    interleave values.

I hope you or one of your friends know the answers .... I don't want to
spend a month with a disassembler to find the answer myself.

Sincerly,
Tor Egge

Bitnet  : TEGGE@NORUNIT
Internet: tegge@idt.unit.no

pfmnews@cbnewsi.att.com (peter.f.meng) (10/12/90)

	I recently had file system problems with my hard disk. I
	tried using sectorama and disk mechanic to recover
	but to no avail. (I have a 2000 with WB 1.3 booting from
	floppy, A2090 controller with ST-251 40 Meg disk, and
	it was operational for over a year and a half)

	Anyway, I decided to start from scratch and rePREP and
	format the disk. The MountList file was already set with
	descriptions for RES0: partition (tracks 0 and 1 for the
	PREP info) and FS1: for the FFS partition (tracks 29-819 I think).

		Mount RES0:			(completed)
		PREP RES0:			(completed)
		FORMAT DRIVE DH0: NAME "SLOWHD"	(completed)
		MOUNT FS1:			(completed)
		FORMAT DRIVE FS1: NAME "FASTHD" FFS
			asks to insert FS1: and hit RETURN
			I hit RETURN and it comes back with
        =>=>=>=>=>=>=>  FORMAT failed -  handler not found. <=<=<=<=<=<=

	I believe this is the same procedure I followed a year ago and
	all the associated files (hddisk, PREP, Mountlist, etc)
	seem to be on the floppy.
	I had also modified the startup files to delete any hard
	disk references.  I even tried retyping the MountList entries.

	I'm probably missing something obvious.  Any ideas??

					Thanks in advance,
					Peter Meng
					att!hotlf!pfm