[comp.sys.amiga] Ah, gimme a *real* project!

Hey, how about an Atari-800 emulator? Now that would be worthwhile... and
quite a bit harder (remember, the 800 is the predecessor of the Amiga and
has custom coprocessors of its own).
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (10/07/90)

In article <6717@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Hey, how about an Atari-800 emulator? Now that would be worthwhile... and
>quite a bit harder (remember, the 800 is the predecessor of the Amiga and
>has custom coprocessors of its own).
>--

Even better: and something worthwhile... I'm looking for a good
Apple IIe emulator. Not even asking for a GS... but a nice IIe
emulator. II in a Mac running on Amax just doesn't hack it
for me. The keys are screwey and it's kinda slow.

Who's going to be the brave sole to tackle this one? I
certainly cant. I'm a Scheme'r not a Dreamer... So let me know

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu

(ps: i did hear that there was one written in c (a II plus) emulator
  but... 1) that's not good enough... 2) it's not even compiled! )

.

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (10/09/90)

da Silva) writes:
> Hey, how about an Atari-800 emulator? Now that would be worthwhile... and
> quite a bit harder (remember, the 800 is the predecessor of the Amiga and
> has custom coprocessors of its own).

   Yep, this would be a funny one to do ... However when you see the
number of different C64 emulators existing now, you can believe it is
possible to do an Atari 800 emulator (I didn't say a good one), at least
the motor is  the same (6502 emulation), and even if the Atari 800 was
able to do more than the 64 on the graphics-animation side, the way the
graphics works on the 800 is much closer to the way they work on the Amiga
(like the color registers)

   That would be a great idea, especially if the emulator can run
'Dropzone' as well as an Atari !!! Datastorm is much better than Dropzone
(and much harder, I can tell you), but I don't have my 64 anymore an I'm
still missing Dropzone sometimes.

   Because if somebedy does a Atari 800 emulator, I hope the games will
work on it ! That's the only reason you need it for (like the Commodore 64
emulator, nobody needs to emulate crapy old BASIC programs running in text
mode without sounds) (-:

    Remember the reactions of the people when the first Amiga 500 came out
with a commodore key on the left !! (((-:

    And don't tell me all the C64 owner went to the Amiga, and all the
A800 owner went to the ST !

      JNM

--
I write (badly) only my own opinions.
" Just make it ! "

In article <7499@dog.ee.lbl.gov> jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) writes:
>    Because if somebedy does a Atari 800 emulator, I hope the games will
> work on it ! That's the only reason you need it for (like the Commodore 64
> emulator, nobody needs to emulate crapy old BASIC programs running in text
> mode without sounds) (-:

How about Atari Logo?

>     And don't tell me all the C64 owner went to the Amiga, and all the
> A800 owner went to the ST !

No, the *real* Atari 800 fans went to the Amiga. The rest are just munchkins.
There are no C=64 fans, just victims.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

anderson@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) (10/12/90)

In article <6758@sugar.hackercorp.com>
peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>No, the *real* Atari 800 fans went to the Amiga. The rest are just munchkins.
>There are no C=64 fans, just victims.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... don't get me started..... >I< am a C64 fan, AND an
Amiga owner. (Yeah, I am the one who started this whole recent C64
emulator discussion)   I would still say I could and did do more with my little
'64 than most people with overblown PC or Macs .....(MOST people; not
every power user buying corporate software on someone else's budget)

An interesting point - I attended a Commodore funded soiree where a bunch
of 64 Fans were pumped for the secret of 'getting 64 users to go Amiga'.  A
number of strategies were discussed, but overall, there was TREMENDOUS C64
loyalty;  these people would CONSIDER buying Amiga... maybe.  And they were
an interesting cross-section - receptionist, grocery worker, technicians,
News manager for a Public radio station (who bought C128s over PCs to
get his entire staff outfitted, instead of just him.) and many others who
used 64/128s VERY productively - and many were financially unable to think
about junking there 64/128 system for ANY computer, let alone the one we
all know is supreme....

"We know only the strong will survive, But the meek will inherit.
 So if you've got a coat of arms, oh friend, I suggest we wear it."
					John Mellencamp.
  joel.anderson@StPaul.NCR.COM   |WELL:  jpa@well.sf.ca.us
     Joel Peter Anderson         |GEnie: J.ANDERSON71 (I think)
  NCR Comten / Software engineer |PNET: jpa@pnet51.cts.com