[comp.sys.amiga] what mind?

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (10/04/90)

In article <7758@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu
(Dan Zerkle) writes:

>What clever marketer being came up with the "make up your own mind"
>slogan?  It tells you nothing about the machine, and is not
>particularly exciting/evocative/interesting.

     I disagree.  Here's what it evokes for me: "Why let Apple or
IBM tell you what you need or want?  Make up your own mind!"  That
to me is both interesting and exciting.

>             Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
>           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

     I like your slogan too, though.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
My A1000 *is* a PC!  It says "Personal Computer" right on the box!

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (10/04/90)

What clever marketer being came up with the "make up your own mind"
slogan?  It tells you nothing about the machine, and is not
particularly exciting/evocative/interesting.  Who can come up with a
better slogan?  Let's start with mine in my .signature.  If Commodore
actually wants to use it, they may have my permission.  If they want
to pay, they may, but it is not necessary.  Post whatever you think
of, and put a line in about permission if it is ok for Commodore to
use it.  Who can come up with the best one?

lhummel@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (10/04/90)

Written Oct  4, 1990 by zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu in comp.sys.amiga:
/* ---------- "what mind?" ---------- */
> What clever marketer being came up with the "make up your own mind"
> slogan?  It tells you nothing about the machine, and is not
> particularly exciting/evocative/interesting.  Who can come up with a
> better slogan?  Let's start with mine in my .signature.  If Commodore
> actually wants to use it, they may have my permission.  If they want
> to pay, they may, but it is not necessary.  Post whatever you think
> of, and put a line in about permission if it is ok for Commodore to
> use it.  Who can come up with the best one?

I disagree with your view.

Commodore's slant is right on, given the advertising and images of its
competitors.  Do you see all of those ads depicting students talking about
how much they love their (X) computer?  I think "make up your own mind" is
a real good answer, and also gets to the heart of the type of person who would
be interested in the Amiga.

>            Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

Commodore isn't going to sell a lot of Amigas to people looking for "exciting"
computers (if it is even possible for a computer to be genuinely exciting).  I
think far more people will buy a computer to *DO* exciting or impressive things
than will buy a computer to be excited by it.

lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Shannon Lawson) (10/05/90)

Actually, the slogan "Make up your own mind" embodies many of the same
sentiments contained in "life is too short for boring computers."  What
Commodore/Amiga is trying to say, I think, is that you can make a nice, safe
(boring) choice by settling for a computer from Intellectually Boring Machines
or whatever.  Or, you have the option of being a trend-setter by purchasing
a machine which inspires originality and excitement.  It's up to you (the
consumer) to "make up your own mind."

Makes sense to me...

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Disclaimer: "Make up your own mind!"

--
  Shannon Lawson
  Senior, Computer Engineering

  Amiga Consultant
  Department of Computer Science
  Virginia Polytechnic Institute    INTERNET:  lawsons@csgrad.cs.vt.edu
    & State University

lhummel@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (10/05/90)

Written Oct  4, 1990 by zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu in comp.sys.amiga:
/* ---------- "what mind?" ---------- */
> What clever marketer being came up with the "make up your own mind"
> slogan?  It tells you nothing about the machine, and is not
> particularly exciting/evocative/interesting.  Who can come up with a
> better slogan?  Let's start with mine in my .signature.  If Commodore
> actually wants to use it, they may have my permission.  If they want
> to pay, they may, but it is not necessary.  Post whatever you think
> of, and put a line in about permission if it is ok for Commodore to
> use it.  Who can come up with the best one?

I disagree with your view.

Commodore's slant is right on, given the advertising and images of its
competitors.  Do you see all of those ads depicting students talking about how
much they love their (X) computer?  I think "make up your own mind" is a real
good answer, and also gets to the heart of the type of person who would be
interested in the Amiga.  The point of an Amiga's slogan should be to attract
the attention of people who have some idea of what they want (or don't want)
in a computer before they blindly accept the choice of IBM or Apple.

I think that Commodore's entry has to be through the same doors as the
Macintosh: the free thinkers and "counter-culture".  Not so radical as to be a
turn-off, but just enough so as to catch the attention of people who are
attracted to alternatives - or looking for a machine lets them have exactly
what they want without hinderances - or giving them more "power for the
price".

>            Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

Commodore isn't going to sell a lot of Amigas to people looking for "exciting"
computers (if it is even possible for a computer to be genuinely exciting).  I
think far more people will buy a computer to *DO* exciting or impressive things
than will buy a computer to be excited by it.

Here are some slogans that I like.  I grant permission for their free use in
promoting the Amiga family of personal computers.  Their use in describing or
promoting other personal computer brands is prohibited.

"The computer for the way you work."
"The personable computer."
"The superior alternative."
"For those who won't compromise."
"Computing without compromises."
"The way you want a computer to be."
"Do it your way."
"Amiga doesn't just follow standards.  It expands them."
"Go beyond standard.  Go for the best."
"Nothing can touch it...except you."
"Working the way a computer SHOULD:  The way you do."
"Actions speak louder than buzzwords."

< Lionel

jdege@ (Jeff Dege) (10/05/90)

In article <15500066@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lhummel@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Commodore's slant is right on, given the advertising and images of its
>competitors.  Do you see all of those ads depicting students talking about
>how much they love their (X) computer?  I think "make up your own mind" is
>a real good answer, and also gets to the heart of the type of person who would
>be interested in the Amiga.

    There were some flyers for a garage-shop clone floting around campus
today.  There was a cute-but-tired blond dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt
sitting at a desk covered with papers and a knockout brunette in heels and
a short red dress sitting at a desk with a computer.  The caption was
"It's 11 PM and they both have term papers due tomorrow.  Who's going out
tonight?"

    It's a technique...

--------------------------

moynihan_r@apollo.HP.COM (Robert Moynihan) (10/05/90)

>Written Oct  4, 1990 by zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu in comp.sys.amiga:
>> What clever marketer being came up with the "make up your own mind"
>> slogan?  It tells you nothing about the machine, and is not
>> particularly exciting/evocative/interesting.  Who can come up with a
>> better slogan?...Post whatever you think of, and put a line in about
>> permission if it is ok for Commodore to use it.

>>            Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

Amiga...Because there's more to computing than spreadsheets.

Permission for CBM to use the above slogan is hereby granted free of
charge.

Bob

============================///====================================
moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com   /// "Winners are losers who got up and
Plink: Moynihan        \\\///  gave it just one more try."
Hewlett-Packard/Apollo  \XX/                        -Dennis DeYoung

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (10/06/90)

In article <4d374668.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> moynihan_r@klingon.UUCP (Robert Moynihan) writes:
>>Written Oct  4, 1990 by zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu in comp.sys.amiga:
>>>            Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.
>
>Amiga...Because there's more to computing than spreadsheets.
>
>Permission for CBM to use the above slogan is hereby granted free of
>charge.

I think CBM should advertise their Mutlimedia package with quotes from various
Pee Cee rags that say multimedia is about 10 years off, and will cost about
$10,000...

My entries are:

Amiga...  We've done for five years what the other guys say can't be done for
          ten.

Amiga owners do it _simultaneously_. ;-) ;-)

Greg
--
             Disclaimer:  "Who me?  Surely you must be mistaken!"         _ _
"The lunatic is in the hall.  The lunatics are in my hall.        AMIGA! ////

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/06/90)

From article <7758@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, by zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle):
> What clever marketer being came up with the "make up your own mind"
> slogan?  It tells you nothing about the machine, and is not

Moreover, it is self-contradictory: "do what I say and make up your
own mind."  Right.

Just like another equally mindless slogan that seems to be popular
in our day:
	"Question authority."

To which, the proper reply must surely be:
	"You mean, for instance, *your* authority to tell me that?"

--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) (10/06/90)

How about this one: "Multiprocessor, Multitasking,
MULTIMEDIA...AMIGA"
 OR

giacobbe@pilot.njin.net (Jeff Giacobbe) (10/06/90)

OK, I've put on my 'advertiser's thinking cap'.  Here's one for the
corporate types who need to be shocked into the reality of Amiga's
multitasking:

"You wouldn't hire someone who couldn't walk and chew gum at the same
time... so why are you using a computer that can't either?"

so much for my creative energy ;-)

Jeff
--
@xxxxx{==============-    giacobbe@pilot.njin.net    -==============}xxxxx@
|                                   or 					  |

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/08/90)

From article <Oct.6.00.38.07.1990.11599@pilot.njin.net>, by giacobbe@pilot.njin.net (Jeff Giacobbe):
> "You wouldn't hire someone who couldn't walk and chew gum at the same
> time... so why are you using a computer that can't either?"

Dangerous.  Some DOS type might put gum in your machine's disk slot and
expect it to chew.  :-)
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

Richard.Milward@samba.acs.unc.edu (Richard Milward) (10/12/90)

in article 15786 in comp.sys.amiga, Paul DuBois (dubois@primate.wisc.edu)
writes:
...Just like another equally mindless slogan..."Question authority."

To which my response has always been: "Sez who?"

Which reminds me of the following exchange I had recently:
friend: "Well , everyone's entitled to their own opinion."
    me: "That's what YOU think!"

:-)

--Richard Milward / network tech / UNC-CH / UMLWRD@UNC.BITNET
  "Service without slogans."