[comp.sys.amiga] Scientific programs on Amiga

boily@phy.ulaval.ca (Edouard Boily) (09/28/90)

	I think that everybody can agree with the fact that there is
not enough scientific programs to fill the growing needs of the Amiga
community. Charles Stockman have been explicit on that and I must say
that I feel a bit like he does.

	To solution our (the Amiga community) problem, we need to
organize ourself.  We should define what our most urgent needs are.
Then developpers will know what we want.  C= should participate on
that too.  If I look at Next, there is a team of scientific
programmers specially dedicated to develop new original scientific
applications on their platform...

	I'm a developper and a scientific, I have my own ideas and
projects but I'd like to hear what you think sould be the most urgent
things to do.  I want you to be specific, descriptive, even technical.

	It's your time, scientific users, to get your words listened.

 - Edouard
.---------------------------------------------------------.
| boily@phy.ulaval.ca             1150055@LAVALVX1.bitnet |
| Edouard Boily  | Projects: AmiGraph, AmigIRAF, A.I.R.P. |
| Physic's Dept. | Interests: Astronomy, Comp. Sciences   |
| Laval Univ.    | Work: On my Ph. D.            _ //     |
| Quebec, CANADA | Citation: Not yet!            \X/      |
`---------------------------------------------------------'

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (09/28/90)

In article <31796@nigel.ee.udel.edu> boily@phy.ulaval.ca (Edouard Boily) writes:

>	I think that everybody can agree with the fact that there is
>not enough scientific programs to fill the growing needs of the Amiga
>community. Charles Stockman have been explicit on that and I must say
>that I feel a bit like he does.
>
>	To solution our (the Amiga community) problem, we need to
>organize ourself.  We should define what our most urgent needs are.

There have been a few of us scientists who have been discussing
something like a mailing list to keep track of what is available & what
is needed, but none of us have the time, etc. to do so. It appears that
many of us write our own software and from what I see, (in my case) it
is too specialized to be of much benefit to anyone else. Exceptions are
programming tools and libraries - Especially things like PLPLOT (Thanks
Tony and Steve).

Also of benefit would be to have help port some of the standard
scientific packages create with federal funding that exist on the Mac,
etc.  I currently appear to be the 'gateway' for SwRI scientists who
work with the Amiga, and have requested help in getting some of the
packages ported - nothing has resulted.  What would be of assistance
would be a way of connecting programmers with us. Does someone know of
a way to notify these labs of the need and arrange to have the software
written or ported as was done with the Mac? Please help if you know.

Any suggestions on how to do this? We need these contacts.
Want a list of what we need ported?

With all this recent talk about lack of software, etc. I must say that
even though it has taken me 4 years to get to this point, I believe I
have finally hit 'critical mass' with respect to the Amiga. Things are
really improving, and people are starting to take notice. Much of it
has happened with the advent of the beta 2.0 releases. 2.0 has really
opened up my options - Thanks again C= personnel.

No, I don't just work with Amigas, and they have their limitations, but
I believe they offer an excellent 'desktop platform' for scientific
data manipulation if you don't have a workstation. While it is true
that more scientific software needs to be available, I have found that
I can manipulate my data in more flexible ways at greater throughput,
and end up with more professional reports than I can with a PC or Mac
given the time I have.  It's also more fun.

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Col. Ames and Pixel) (09/29/90)

    My wish list:

 1) Plotting program. Ability to plot xy, scatter, polar, parametric. Plot as
      wire frame and ability to rotate (ala Calligari, and Lightwave with a
      cube, rectangle etc...) around all axes. Ability to figure volumes of
       closed solids, limited symbolic math, (find intersection of planes in
       y=mx+b format or others, min/max of f(x)'s.

 2) Vector Math - Simple 3D static systems. Normal finding etc...

 3) Something like LabView..... This is a real niche market, but I thought I'd
      mention it.

 4) An absolute "pie in the sky" -- A HP48SX emulator.

--
 adam hill                                   Everybody lies about sex.
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu    BOING!4Ever     Rub HER feet!

duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) (09/30/90)

From article <1990Sep29.021658.26896@evax.arl.utexas.edu>, by hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Col. Ames and Pixel):

>     My wish list:
>

>  1) Plotting program. Ability to plot xy, scatter, polar, parametric. Plot as
>       wire frame and ability to rotate (ala Calligari, and Lightwave with a
>       cube, rectangle etc...) around all axes. Ability to figure volumes of
>        closed solids, limited symbolic math, (find intersection of planes in
>        y=mx+b format or others, min/max of f(x)'s.
>
>  2) Vector Math - Simple 3D static systems. Normal finding etc...
>
>  3) Something like LabView..... This is a real niche market, but I thought I'd
>       mention it.
>

>  4) An absolute "pie in the sky" -- A HP48SX emulator.
>

> --
>  adam hill                                   Everybody lies about sex.
>  hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu    BOING!4Ever     Rub HER feet!
>                                              It's better to copulate than never
>  AmigaDos2.0 - A VW with $10,000 in options.         --Robert A. Heinlein

I refer to the opening statement in an article in the Oct. issue
of Byte "Science goes visual on the mac" - Don Crabb where he
says just a few years ago the Mac lacked good scientific software
meaning :

* statistical analysis
* laboratory telemetry
* simulation systems
* visualization software

(to name a few categories)

He cites an underpowered machine as a prime reason, there are
other reasons I'm sure BUT...  He mentions a set of "scientific
visualization" software in the public domain for the Mac
developed by Brad Fortner's Mac visulation group at the National
Center for SuperComputer Appliications - Univ. of Il.

Transform
View
Format
Dicer

Transform allows one to manipulate floating point data and
represent the data in various ways.  It supports HDF and provides
routines in C and FORTRAN as libraries.

View appears to be a type of image analysis program and an
animation program.

Format a presentation program.

Dicer lets you see you data as a 3D cube you can then slice in
any place and change any of the visualization factors (color, and
surface shades).

He also mentions that Fortner has started a new company to
market a commercial version of the NCSA products.

I recently attended a presentation where the analysis was really
hindered by linear thinking.   It really needed a multivariate approach
bur was  being forced into univariate...  If only the author
had been able to see how their data interacted... perhaps being
able represent in different ways...

I mention these products because they seem to be in keeping with
Commodore's approach that the amiga is a computer for the
creative mind and IF they are freely available might be a place
to start for porting.

danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann) (09/30/90)

        Being a student and being interested with computer technology, I feel
the same way. The Amiga is a superb operating platform, but there are some
scientific applications that we really should have available.
        A friend and I wanted to buy a good Math package for our machines. Is
Doug's Math Aquarium the best thing??? We need something that handles cal
calculus and an array of other functions.  Most mathematics programs for Amiga
are for young children.
        Let me know about your projects, AmiGraph, AmigIRAF, AIRP, etc.  I
might someday crank out a math writter program like on the Mac for us Amigos.
 ProLine: danb20@pro-graphics           ***************************
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!danb20  *       Dan Bachmann      *
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!danb20@nosc.mil  *  Raritan Valley College *
Internet: danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com   ***************************
U.S.Mail: 509 StonyBrook Drive, Bridgewater, NJ 08807

skank@du248-09.cc.iastate.edu (Skank George L) (09/30/90)

In article <31796@nigel.ee.udel.edu> boily@phy.ulaval.ca (Edouard Boily) writes:
>	I'm a developper and a scientific, I have my own ideas and
>projects but I'd like to hear what you think sould be the most urgent
>things to do.  I want you to be specific, descriptive, even technical.
>
>	It's your time, scientific users, to get your words listened.
>

> - Edouard
>.---------------------------------------------------------.
>| boily@phy.ulaval.ca             1150055@LAVALVX1.bitnet |
>|---------------------------------------------------------|
>| Edouard Boily  | Projects: AmiGraph, AmigIRAF, A.I.R.P. |
>| Physic's Dept. | Interests: Astronomy, Comp. Sciences   |
>| Laval Univ.    | Work: On my Ph. D.            _ //     |
>| Quebec, CANADA | Citation: Not yet!            \X/      |
>`---------------------------------------------------------'

     SPICE, SPICE, SPICE!!!  Not just Spice version 2GS (or whatever the
public domain version is) but something like PSpice (or better yet) IntuoSoft
Spice, both for the IBM-PC.  It should use the math coprocessors if installed.
It should remain Spice 2GS compatible (i.e. accept a text file which describes
the circuit) but what would be really sweet would be a schematic capture screen
which would allow you to select components (transistors, resistors, etc.) and
create a schematic on screen while sumultaneously creating the text file which
describes the circuit (like IntuoSoft Spice).  More importantly I think, it
should be able to do high resolution plotting of Spice results.  I like the
.PROBE card in PSpice, but I think (again) IntuoSoft Spice probably has a
better solution because IntuoSoft Spice input files are backward compatible
with SPICE version 2GS.  That's all I can think of now...

                                        --George

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (09/30/90)

Here's a different slant on the lack of Scientific Software on <insert machine
here>.  The Unix community, and to a lesser extent the general Comp Sci
community have a tradition developed over the past 20 years of sharing
locally developed software.  For example, if you create an experimental
text editor for a machine, you write a manual, bundle the whole thing up,
and try to export it.  I think this is because for many people in this
community developing software is the *end product* they want to be recognized
for.

On the other hand, this tradition is very rare in the sciences and engineering.
When some scientist develops a program that allows a user to view a data cloud
in N-dimensions, the *last* thing that occurs to him or her is to go on and
add a user interface and write a manual, and so on.

There are exceptions to this, of course, but as a general trend I doubt you
will see many good scientific applications floating around free because
scientists aren't motivated to produce them.
                                            lee

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep29.021658.26896@evax.arl.utexas.edu>,
hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Col. Ames and Pixel) says:

>    My wish list:

> 1) Plotting program. Ability to plot xy, scatter, polar, parametric. Plot as
>      wire frame and ability to rotate (ala Calligari, and Lightwave with a
>      cube, rectangle etc...) around all axes. Ability to figure volumes of
>       closed solids, limited symbolic math, (find intersection of planes in
>       y=mx+b format or others, min/max of f(x)'s.

Isn't there a freely distributable package that does some of this stuff?
It writes HPGL output, and includes a way to send HPGL to any preferences
printer.  I think it is called MultiPlot, or PLPLOT:, or some such, or
maybe that is two different packages altogether.

Perhaps the real problem is that it isn't commercial enough!  There needs
to at least be that little ad in the back of Amiga World every month to
help people find it.  Better yet, the ad should be in Science.

> 2) Vector Math - Simple 3D static systems. Normal finding etc...

MatLab, from some gov't agency or other, is there.  Again, maybe the
problem is that it isn't commoercial *enough*!  Most people don't know
it exists.

Also, Maple is available from U. Waterloo.  Perhaps it isn't as sexy
as Mathematica, but it flies OK.

My wish list includes

a)  A statistical analysis program like Systat or SAS.

b)  A lot of small niche special purpose stuff that my social scientist friends
    have written over the years for cluster analysis, blockmodeling, multi-
    dimensional scaling, chorpleth mapping (spelling?), and content analysis.
    Almost of all of this software has been written for msdos, because
    that's what most social scientists have.

Question:  Is there a "market" for this stuff?  I don't mean a million copies
per year, just enough to make it worth while?  Would you buy a typical
Nonmetric MDS program for $79?  Or a collection of half a dozen typical
Cluster Analysis programs for $89.50?  It would be easy to find lots of
such stuff and port it to the Amiga, but a giant headache to deal with
customers and so on.

Amigifying it all would be a big project, since it is almost all written
in a sort of 1960's style batch oriented Fortran.   No indentation, no
interaction, fixed width input, no comments, 8-(

                                                     lee

rsn@cartan.math.nd.edu (Ross Niebergall) (10/01/90)

From article <4730@crash.cts.com>, by danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann):

>         A friend and I wanted to buy a good Math package for our machines. Is
> Doug's Math Aquarium the best thing??? We need something that handles cal
> calculus and an array of other functions.  Most mathematics programs for Amiga
> are for young children.

Maple is available for the Amiga, and it is certainly not a toy.  It's
price of US$395 reflects that, and I would say that it is a reasonable
price for this piece of software.

There has been a lot of discussion lately about the lack of scientific
software available for the Amiga, and people are constantly overlooking
the availability of Maple.  I think that perhaps Amiga users are just
unwilling to pay the price for the kind of software that they are asking
for.

Ross Niebergall, Department of Mathematics, University of Notre Dame
rsn@ndmath.math.nd.edu	rsn@cartan.math.nd.edu

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (10/01/90)

In article <681@cartan.math.nd.edu> rsn@cartan.math.nd.edu (Ross Niebergall) writes:

[quotes re lack of a good mathematical program on the Amiga deleted]

>Maple is available for the Amiga, and it is certainly not a toy.  It's
>price of US$395 reflects that, and I would say that it is a reasonable
>price for this piece of software.

I must agree with this. I have been using Maple, Mathematica, and Theorist
on Macs for quite a while( I am not an Amiga user, but find it rather
interesting). Maple is first rate. In my opinion, it is much more powerful
than Mathematica from a mathematical point of view. Where Mathematica ( and
Theorist) have had the advantage is in the graphics' area. However, Maple
has been updated for many cpu's( don't know about the Amiga) to produce
graphics which easily rival those of Mathematica. The people developing
Maple have been very careful to provide graphical tools which can deal with
the issue of plotting functions. This is more complicated than it would
seem, as you have to worry about singularities,etc...

By the way, since the Amiga does have a bridgecard, there is a very nice PC
symbolic mathematical program called Derive which functions quite well on
an XT and has a neat interface. It's written in Lisp.

It's only a matter of time before the Amiga gets these areas satisfied. In
the meantime Maple for mathematical problems and I believe it's called
Xlisp-Stat from Minnesota( publice domain but VERY good) for statistics
should tie people over.

Philip McDunnough
Department of Statistics
University of Toronto
[my opinions]

jlh@noether.math.purdue.edu (Jeffrey Hensley) (10/01/90)

In article <90273.104606UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>Here's a different slant on the lack of Scientific Software on <insert machine
>here>.  The Unix community, and to a lesser extent the general Comp Sci
>community have a tradition developed over the past 20 years of sharing
>locally developed software.  For example, if you create an experimental
>text editor for a machine, you write a manual, bundle the whole thing up,
>and try to export it.  I think this is because for many people in this
>community developing software is the *end product* they want to be recognized
>for.
>
>On the other hand, this tradition is very rare in the sciences and engineering.
>When some scientist develops a program that allows a user to view a data cloud
>in N-dimensions, the *last* thing that occurs to him or her is to go on and
>add a user interface and write a manual, and so on.
>
>There are exceptions to this, of course, but as a general trend I doubt you
>will see many good scientific applications floating around free because
>scientists aren't motivated to produce them.

  I would tend to disagree with this generalization.  Perhaps you have never
  needed a "Scientific" package, but there are LOTS of packages out there
  in the public domain.  Have you ever heard of Netlib?  Source code is
  available to solve a large number of problems.  Finite element packages,
  finite differences, ODE solvers, plotters, special function routines,
  etc. etc.

  What you perceive as a rarity may be due to the fact that you just haven't
  run across this stuff.  I might as well say that there is a lack of source
  code available for X applications :-)

  One difference is real, and this probably explains why there is an
  apparent lack of AMIGA scientific packages - most scientists have access
  to machines at work which handle things for them (most notably, plotting
  routines).  I am not going to try to use my A2000 at home to plot
  when I can go to work and do it better & faster and where I have a
  laserjet printer hooked up (and for many people change that to an
  actual plotter).

  Since there is less of a software base for the Amiga (as compared to
  Macs) it isn't surprising to find a lack of software aimed at the sciences.
  An exception is Maple, but then the hope there is that enough schools will
  use Amigas that they can make a nice profit.

  --Jeff

ted@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Dr. Ted Carnevale) (10/01/90)

This message is empty.

rhunt@icard.med.unc.edu (Rick Hunt) (10/01/90)

Every once in a while I get a mailer from a company called Lionheart.
They carry "Statistical and Management Software for Business, Technology,
& Science" and the selection seems rather extensive.  The prices range
from $100-200 but each pacage seems a little narrow in scope.  For
example, some of the titles are: ANOVA, Cluster Analysis, Matrix
Operations etc.  I have never ordered anything from them since I am forced
against my will to use a clone at work :-(

Lionheart Press, Inc.
PO Box 379
Alburg, VT 05440

phone: 514-933-4918

They also make the software for IBMs, Atari ST, and Macs.  I don't know if
they are still in business.

Rick

hb136@leah.Albany.Edu (Herb Brown) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep30.212440.18576@utstat.uucp>, philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
> In article <681@cartan.math.nd.edu> rsn@cartan.math.nd.edu (Ross Niebergall) writes:
>
> >Maple is available for the Amiga, and it is certainly not a toy.  It's
>
> I must agree with this. I have been using Maple, Mathematica, and Theorist
> on Macs for quite a while( I am not an Amiga user, but find it rather
> interesting). Maple is first rate. In my opinion, it is much more powerful
> than Mathematica from a mathematical point of view. Where Mathematica ( and
> Theorist) have had the advantage is in the graphics' area. However, Maple

At the University at Albany we are now teaching mathematics in a
classroom equipped with Amiga computers and Maple software. The
students interact between blackboard and computer instruction
simultaneously. So far, Maple seems to be quite a success.
We are using an old version (4.1) and are looking forward to
an Amiga port of Maple V.         Herb

Herb Brown  Math Dept  The Univ at Albany  hibrown@leah.albany.edu

ypcazabon@tiger.uwaterloo.ca (Yvan Cazabon) (10/01/90)

I agree there is a shortage of good scientific programming, but you might
want to take a look at MATLAB, which is a port of the original Unix version
(written in Fortran).  It does almost everything you would like to do w.r.t.
matrix algebra, and has some 2D and 3D plotting abilities.  It's available
via FTP, although I forget which site I got my copy from :-).

Regards,
Yvan Cazabon

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (10/01/90)

In article <6669@uwm.edu> duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
[...]
>He cites an underpowered machine as a prime reason, there are
>other reasons I'm sure BUT...  He mentions a set of "scientific
>visualization" software in the public domain for the Mac
>developed by Brad Fortner's Mac visulation group at the National
>Center for SuperComputer Appliications - Univ. of Il.
>
>Transform
>View
>Format
>Dicer

You hit it right on the head.

>Transform allows one to manipulate floating point data and
>represent the data in various ways.  It supports HDF and provides
>routines in C and FORTRAN as libraries.

With the HDF libraries, you may write your two-dimensional image to an
"HDF" file from Fortran or C on your VAX, UNIX workstation, or a
SuperComputer like the cray, then download  them to a Mac or PC for
postprocessing and visualization (basically the equivalent of
showanim's for raster animations).

Support IFF instead - provide IFF writers in the form of source or
libraries for use on such as: VAX, UNIX, and Cray-UNICOS from both
Fortran77 and C.

Comment from a fellow scientist:

"It is a real pain to have to write your files as some sort of ascii
portable file, [...] convert to IFF to perform the animations.  The HDF
format allowed the scientific user to go directly from the Cray to the
Mac for animations. WE in the amiga community could blow the Mac
"animations" away with IFF/ANIM animations -- if only we could casually
generate IFF files via calls to Fortran77 or C callable lib on the big
computers.  And we would then have the capablity to "postprocess" the
IFF's -- a capability sorely missing with in the HDF/Mac environment.
Unfortunately, the lib's would have to be distributed as source code
for portability to VAX, UNIX, and UNICOS -- but so does the HDF stuff
anyway."

>View appears to be a type of image analysis program and an
>animation program.

Signal and Image Processing. Also runs under X11.

>I recently attended a presentation where the analysis was really
>hindered by linear thinking.   It really needed a multivariate approach
>
>I mention these products because they seem to be in keeping with
>Commodore's approach that the amiga is a computer for the
>creative mind and IF they are freely available might be a place
>to start for porting.

Our thoughts exactly.

So, these are a few items that would be useful on the Amiga and could
be performed by students without a lot of ambiguity.  They are either
direct ports of existing programs, or involve a well defined program
development with existing code "chunks" for guidance.

Any takers?

BTW, this thread has generated quite a bit of email as well as these
substantive postings. I am keeping a list of requested software and
probably will post it sometime soon.

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

boily@phy.ulaval.ca (Edouard Boily) (10/02/90)

	Hi Dan,

	It took me some time to respond but my mail generated a lot of
	You wanted more info about the project in my .sig.  Here.

	AmiGraph   is   a high-end   scientific data   plotter   (read
publication-quality graphics generator) which will   have a VERY  nice
interface   to   work with.  It  will   output   professionnal looking
graphics.  Since it will be library  based, the  user  will be able to
add modules as  his needs grows.  We've   made plans for  Statistical,
Fourier and Fit/Filter modules.

	Since we use the PlPlot library, the output can be PostScript,
which is interesting.

	I cannot tell you more now but it will be quite interesting.

	I also work (I'm  alone this time) on  porting some IRAF stuff
on the Amiga.  A.I.R.P. is now obsolete since the arrival  of AmigaDOS
2.0.  It was an "Amiga Intuition replacement Project", a bit like ARP.
It's dead by now.  Anyway, an Alpha version  of AmiGraph will probably
get out in 1991 (I can't be more precise, sorry!).

	Regards,

 - Edouard
.---------------------------------------------------------.

myb100@csc.anu.oz.au (10/02/90)

In article <28496@swrinde.nde.swri.edu>, kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
> [...]
> With the HDF libraries, you may write your two-dimensional image to an
> "HDF" file from Fortran or C on your VAX, UNIX workstation, or a
> SuperComputer like the cray, then download  them to a Mac or PC for
> postprocessing and visualization (basically the equivalent of
> showanim's for raster animations).
>
> Support IFF instead - provide IFF writers in the form of source or
> libraries for use on such as: VAX, UNIX, and Cray-UNICOS from both
> Fortran77 and C.

There is another way to convert <any_format> to IFF, where <any_format>
resides on the mainfame.

> Comment from a fellow scientist:
>
> "It is a real pain to have to write your files as some sort of ascii
> portable file, [...] convert to IFF to perform the animations.  The HDF
> format allowed the scientific user to go directly from the Cray to the
> Mac for animations. WE in the amiga community could blow the Mac
> "animations" away with IFF/ANIM animations -- if only we could casually
> generate IFF files via calls to Fortran77 or C callable lib on the big
> computers.  And we would then have the capablity to "postprocess" the
> IFF's -- a capability sorely missing with in the HDF/Mac environment.
> Unfortunately, the lib's would have to be distributed as source code
> for portability to VAX, UNIX, and UNICOS -- but so does the HDF stuff
> anyway."

[Excuse the length of the include, but it was all very relevant to this:]

[#define Stand_on_soapbox_and_start_selling_mode ON :-) ]

You might recall a posting I made a while back (~21Sep90) about a program
(actually two) called PAWS and PAWSDisp. Ken Mighell's PAWS is a programmable
terminal emulator that runs on the Amiga, that has VT100/Tek4010/Image-Display
screens all available simultaneously. PAWS allows you to display images from
your mainframe with a minimum of fuss, just by sending the image a line at a
time over the serial line to the Amiga, which decompresses it and draws it.
This works very well, and is quite fast. (note, serial line!)

I've written a Fortran subroutine (called PAWSDisp) that will accept a 2D array
of numbers (on the mainframe) and displays it (on the Amiga), using PAWS. All
that a user needs to provide is a main program (I have used Fortran and C) that
reads in your data, model, image, whatever into a 2D array, and calls my
subroutine. This 'header' to PAWSDisp is usually quite trivial to write, given a
particular format. PAWSDisp provides you with several options in terms of
scaling, zooming, trimming, PostScript output, plots of slices, plots of
histograms, etc. I have ported PAWSDisp to VAXes (with VMS) and Suns/SPARCS
(Unix, or, more strictly, SunOS).

If you want to animate several frames, this can be QEDone by using PAWSDisp
together with a screengrabber, like GRABBitt, which saves the screen as an IFF
frame. Load the various frames into something like DPaint III, and voila,
animations and IFF manipulations (albeit with 32 colours.. which is enough for
a lot of things, but not for everybody, granted)

A point to note: PAWS/PAWSDisp runs over a serial line/modem. You can quite
happily do this at home/in the office with no Ethernet requirement !

[In the PAWSDisp readme, you'll see that HDF format is something I do want to
support - I collect header programmes as I/someone-else write(s) them. At this
stage I only have astronomical stuff, like IRAF,FIGARO,Starlink,FITS..]

If you're interested in trying this out, the following is from the
release message:

- begin included stuff ----------------------------

[...]
PAWSDisp 1.40 : 18 September 1990 - Markus Buchhorn

[list of features deleted]

So, where do I get it ?
=======================
Anonymous ftp from merlin.anu.oz.au [130.56.4.215] in the directory
pub/PAWS_Sun or pub/PAWS_Vax

There is also a header program for IRAF images in the PAWS_Sun directory.
Others are available - mail me if you want them, or need help writing your own.

Please remember that we are GMT+10hrs here at the moment - keep your ftp'ing
to a quiet time of our day please, if possible.

- end include --------------------------

Sorry about the length of this posting, but I do have several vested interests
here :-), not just as someone flogging a (*free*) product. I would like to see
lots more scientific programs for the Amiga, E. Boily's stuff for example
sounds great !

Plotting programmes, 2d and 3D, with the ability to rotate 3D displays with the
mouse, would be my first and major requirement. PAWS/PAWSDisp covers most of
the rest for me (for now) :-)

[#define sale_mode OFF]

To Kent: Do you think your above-mentioned 'fellow scientist' would be
interested in something like this ? From your description, it comes kinda
close...and might save him/her a lot of time.

> Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
                       ^^^^^^^^ what do you research into ?

> Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
> UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent
 Markus Buchhorn                                           ///  | This space
 Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Canberra     ///   |
 PMB Weston Ck. P.O. A.C.T. 2611, Australia           \\\///    | intentionally
 markus@mso.anu.oz.au  -or-  nssdca::psi%mssso::markus \XX/     | left blank

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (10/02/90)

I am looking for a package for the Amiga (or for Unix) which is capable
of handling rather large data sets.  I have five years worth of data
on environmental and mechanical parameters.  This consists of 100 floating
point numbers recorded at ten minute intervals.  I have about 75% to 80%
coverage of all the possible readings.  I've pre-processed the data files
so that each year (1986-1990) is in a separate file of about 30 megabytes.
Eventually I would like to correlate this information to seeing statistics.

Obviously, a program which processes this in-memory isn't much use.  The
only thing that I can think of that will do a reasonable job with this
much data is SAS.  (I always have a glimmer of hope that SAS/Lattice will
come to my rescue.)

Any ideas?

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (10/02/90)

In article <90273.105607UH2@psuvm.psu.edu>, UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
> In article <1990Sep29.021658.26896@evax.arl.utexas.edu>,
> hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Col. Ames and Pixel) says:
>
>>    My wish list:
>

>> 1) Plotting program. Ability to plot xy, scatter, polar, parametric. Plot as
>>      wire frame and ability to rotate (ala Calligari, and Lightwave with a
>>      cube, rectangle etc...) around all axes. Ability to figure volumes of
>>       closed solids, limited symbolic math, (find intersection of planes in
>>       y=mx+b format or others, min/max of f(x)'s.
>

> Isn't there a freely distributable package that does some of this stuff?
> It writes HPGL output, and includes a way to send HPGL to any preferences
> printer.  I think it is called MultiPlot, or PLPLOT:, or some such, or
> maybe that is two different packages altogether.

Both these packages do this. And a whole loy more. PLPLOT is a library of
plotting functions and is enormously flexible, covering just about anything
you can imagine. It is fairly complex to use. Multiplot is a simple
X Vs Y plotting program with nice goodies like easy to use interface, click
to edit, and heaps of output formats. The latest beta of Multiplot handles
log axes, Y errors that vary in length above and below tha data point,
postscript (including EPSF) and lots more.

> Perhaps the real problem is that it isn't commercial enough!  There needs
> to at least be that little ad in the back of Amiga World every month to
> help people find it.  Better yet, the ad should be in Science.

You want to advertise, you are going to have to give us money!

Regards Alan

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (10/02/90)

>terminal emulator that runs on the Amiga, that has VT100/Tek4010/Image-Display
>
>A point to note: PAWS/PAWSDisp runs over a serial line/modem. You can quite
>happily do this at home/in the office with no Ethernet requirement !
>
>To Kent: Do you think your above-mentioned 'fellow scientist' would be
>interested in something like this ? From your description, it comes kinda
>close...and might save him/her a lot of time.

Looks interesting. I read the initial posting & sent it around. Question:
Is there an easy way to disconnect the serial port connection from the
rest of the program? We have very few serial connections - use Ethernet.
I.e. How attached to the serial port is your system. If it is easy to use
with ethernet (rsh, etc.) then we may have something here.

>                       ^^^^^^^^ what do you research into ?
"Have Brain, Will Travel"
I'm in the Non-Destructive Sciences and Technology Division - UT, AE, ET, IR,
Radiography, etc. (UltrasonicTech, AcousticEmission, EddycurrentTech, InfraRed)
We look at things before they go boom!.

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (10/02/90)

In article <90273.104606UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:

> Here's a different slant on the lack of Scientific Software on <insert machine
> here>.  The Unix community, and to a lesser extent the general Comp Sci
> community have a tradition developed over the past 20 years of sharing
> locally developed software....
>
> On the other hand, this tradition is very rare in the sciences and engineering.
> When some scientist develops a program that allows a user to view a data cloud
> in N-dimensions, the *last* thing that occurs to him or her is to go on and
> add a user interface and write a manual, and so on.

However, there is a lot of scientific/mathematical software whose
development was paid for by the government.  Much of this software
(including source) can be had for a nominal fee, and ported to other
machines.  Good sources include:  NASA's "COSMIC" catalog, and all the
government laboratories.

Which brings me to one package I'd be interested in seeing run on the
Amiga: The "APE 2.0" scientific visualization toolkit.  Developed at
the Ohio Supercomputer Center (OSC), it supports graphical
visualization of N-dimensional data sets for such applications as
fluid dynamics, etc.  A visual programming paradigm lets the user
invoke various filters and graphical rendering tools by connecting
icons graphically.  APE 2.0 is available from the OSC for $75.  It
currently runs on Unix platforms, so porting to Amiga Unix should be
no problem.  It might even be portable to AmigaDOS (as other Unix
programs have been).

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730
(617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,necntc,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl
	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
--

eric@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/tty000) (10/02/90)

In article <90273.105607UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>In article <1990Sep29.021658.26896@evax.arl.utexas.edu>,
>hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Col. Ames and Pixel) says:
>>    My wish list:
>> 1) Plotting program. Ability to plot xy, scatter, polar, parametric. Plot as
>Isn't there a freely distributable package that does some of this stuff?
>It writes HPGL output, and includes a way to send HPGL to any preferences
>printer.  I think it is called MultiPlot, or PLPLOT:, or some such, or
>maybe that is two different packages altogether.
>
>Perhaps the real problem is that it isn't commercial enough!  There needs
>to at least be that little ad in the back of Amiga World every month to
>help people find it.  Better yet, the ad should be in Science.

Well, perhaps it's time the folks on the net got together and set up
some sort of informal organization to deal with this.  Maybe it could
start out as a mailing list for discussions/requests/collaborations/etc.
It could even be used to apply concerted pressure on software houses
to port/develop software that meets certain needs, if we can agree
on what those needs are and show the potential market.  I would
be willing to help with such an undertaking, *if* I can get some
help setting it up (I've never done anything like that...) and if
it's okay with this system owner (it's a small private system).

What say you all?  If you would be interested in such a mailing
list or other such idea, please send me email so I can get an
idea of the number of people who might want to be involved.  In
addition to posting any comments on the net, of course.

--
Eric Kennedy                    eric@eklektik.pgh.pa.us
BIX: ekennedy                   ...pitt!idis!eklektik!eric

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (10/03/90)

   Just an idea .. I'm not a scientific, but as I read all these messages,
I'm wondering:

   Why doesn't anybody try to setupa list of all the scientific software
actually available on the Amiga ? Like if it's PD: where to get it using
ftp (since I beleive, most of the scientifics have access to the net one
way or another), and if it's commercial: price & where to get it.

   I don't know, but looking at all these messages: "I'm looking for
....." and the answer " there is allready a program doing it, it's called
XYZMaths  ...". Looks like the information isn't very spreaded.

     Of course I just try to express my opinions, and I'm not concerned (
(-: )

        JNM

--
I write (badly) only my own opinions.
" Just make it ! "

ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi (10/03/90)

Here is a list of a few scientific programs I would like to see on Amiga:

1) A Bibliographic database (This is a MUST, every scientist need this!)
   It has to be flexible and able to communicate properly with other Amiga
   programs (Word processing, DTP)

2) A multimedia style laboratory protocol book/edatabase/experimet planning/
   report generator/etc./etc. -utility

3) Two/Three dimensional drawing tool for biochemical/biological structures
   (With animation of course!)

4) Genetic sequence analysis (DNA, RNA) softaware (something like PC-gene, but
   better!)

5) All-in-one file converter utility (Conversion of all major file types from
   PC, Mac and amiga to help communication between different Machines; this is a
   must!)

  Reijo Ronkko     University of Helsinki, Dept. of General Microbiology,
                   Mannerheimintie 172, 00300 Helsinki, FINLAND
                   Fax +358-0-4735426

                   Ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi

ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi (10/03/90)

> 2) A multimedia style laboratory protocol book/edatabase/experimet planning/

Sorry, this line was ment to be:

2) A multimedia style laboratory diary/protocol database/experiment planning/

kjm100@csc.anu.oz.au (10/03/90)

In article <28519@swrinde.nde.swri.edu>, kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:

> Looks interesting. I read the initial posting & sent it around. Question:
> Is there an easy way to disconnect the serial port connection from the
> rest of the program? We have very few serial connections - use Ethernet.
> I.e. How attached to the serial port is your system. If it is easy to use
> with ethernet (rsh, etc.) then we may have something here.

PAWS could be modified to display data sent via Ethernet just replace the
serial port reader with an Ethernet reader.  Not that I could do it mind
you since I don't have access to Ethernet but it should not be all that
difficult.

Clearly you would need the PAWS source code to hack up.  Please write to
me at Mt. Stromlo Observatory.

Best regards,

Ken Mighell

| Kenneth John Mighell                                                        |
| Mount Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories                               |
| Private Bag, Post Office Weston Creek, ACT 2611, AUSTRALIA                  |
| email: mighell@mso.anu.oz.au (INTERNET) phone: 06-249-0234 fax: 06-249-0233 |

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (10/03/90)

In article <3265.270916da@cc.helsinki.fi> ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>1) A Bibliographic database (This is a MUST, every scientist need this!)
>   It has to be flexible and able to communicate properly with other Amiga
>   programs (Word processing, DTP)

This is a program I have been designing in the background :-).  With my Ph.D.
work, not much gets done on it in any given week.  I would be interested in
hearing what people would like to see in such a program, to see if I've missed
anything.               -- Darren
--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,

duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) (10/04/90)

From article <3265.270916da@cc.helsinki.fi>, by ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi:
> Here is a list of a few scientific programs I would like to see on Amiga:
>
> 1) A Bibliographic database (This is a MUST, every scientist need this!)
>    It has to be flexible and able to communicate properly with other Amiga
>    programs (Word processing, DTP)
>
> 2) A multimedia style laboratory protocol book/edatabase/experimet planning/
>    report generator/etc./etc. -utility
>
> 3) Two/Three dimensional drawing tool for biochemical/biological structures
>    (With animation of course!)
>
> 4) Genetic sequence analysis (DNA, RNA) softaware (something like PC-gene, but
>    better!)

Not having seen PC-gene but having used a freely distributed
program that does do Genetic sequence analysis. I can at least
add my:  Here is a program that is available and can do what you
wish.  Anybody want to start a database of sci. programs under
various categories such as graphics, output, text, stats, and so
forth?  Best place would be to skim the fish library and see what
you might land.

Phylip is a set of programs for doing genetic sequence analysis.
Be forwarned that

1) The source and docs are large (about 1 mb).

2) Written in Pascal.

I have converted  old versions of some of the programs to "C"
using the p2C program posted to newxanth and c.b.a/c.s.a.  The
source is a fairly standard version of pascal but is not as fast
as it could be.  Joe would REALLY love to have someone run his
test data on an Amiga with a pascal compiler.  Since I am told
every day that molecular biology is the wave of the future I am
sure there are thousands, no millions (well maybe tens of
thousands) who have been waiting for just this set of programs to
fun but did not know about them.  Well wait no more!  In there
somewhere should be a :-) I am sure.  Here is Joe's introductory
message to phylip 3.3.  He does outstanding support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From CLASS-L@ccvm.sunysb.edu Tue Jun 12 19:19:26 1990
Date:         Tue, 12 Jun 90 17:09:01 PDT
Sender: "Classification, clustering,
              and phylogeny estimation" <CLASS-L@SBCCVM>
From: Joe Felsenstein <joe@GENETICS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject:      PHYLIP 3.3 Released
To: 'Shan Duncan' <duncan@CSD4.CSD.UWM.EDU>

Version 3.3 of PHYLIP, a free package of programs for inferring phylogenies
from various kinds of data, was released last weekend.  Source code,
documentation, and PCDOS executables are available for free from me
as usual on diskette, by anonymous ftp from evolution.genetics.washington.edu,
by e-mail, or on tape.  Below I have appended the PHYLIP general information
notice which describes details of distribution.

There are many changes from the previous version.  Here is a summary of
the major changes since 3.2.

1. DNA and protein sequences now input in "interleaved" or "aligned"
   format instead of all on one sequence followed by all of the next.
   This means one can more easily use output of alignment programs.
2. The DNA distances program will now bootstrap sequences, and the
   distance matrix programs will analyze the resulting multiple-data-
   set input files.  Thus one can do bootstrapping on DNA distance trees.
3. A DNA maximum likelihood program assuming a molecular clock is added.
4. Two new interactive menu-driven tree drawing programs are added (the old
   ones are removed), which allow preview of the trees to be plotted on IBM
   PC graphics or DEC or Tektronix graphics terminals.  They plot to plotters,
   Postscript laser printers, dot matrix printers.
5. More detection of input file errors, more informative error messages.
6. Programs that infer trees that have branch lengths now print them out
   in a different format (phenogram-style) that allows approximate
   branch lengths to be seen.
7. The compatibility program CLIQUE and the consensus tree program
   CONSENSE now print trees in a more easily interpretable way.
8. Programs printing out hypothetical states at interior nodes now do so
   in an interleaved format that makes it easier to see all the states of
   one character as they form a single column.
9. Improvements of the interactive tree rearrangement programs.
10. Correction of a problem in the discrete character programs that had led to
   them having trouble running even moderate size data sets on PCDOS machines.

I will shortly post a notice listing other packages currently available from
others.  Here is the PHYLIP information sheet.

              PHYLIP - Phylogeny Inference Package (version 3.3)

     This is a FREE package of programs for inferring phylogenies and  carrying
out certain related tasks.  At present it contains 28 programs, which carry out
different algorithms on different kinds of data.  The programs in  the  package
are:
      ---------- Programs for molecular sequence data ----------
  PROTPARS  Protein parsimony          DNAPARS  Parsimony method for DNA
  DNAMOVE   Interactive DNA parsimony  DNAPENNY Branch and bound for DNA
  DNABOOT   Bootstraps DNA parsimony   DNACOMP  Compatibility for DNA
  DNAINVAR  Phylogenetic invariants    DNAML    Maximum likelihood method
  DNAMLK    DNAML with molecular clock DNADIST  Distances from sequences
  RESTML    ML for restriction sites
      ----------- Programs for distance matrix data ------------
  FITCH     Fitch-Margoliash and least-squares methods
  KITSCH    Fitch-Margoliash and least squares methods with evolutionary clock
      -------- Programs for gene frequencies and continuous characters -------
  CONTML    Maximum likelihood method  GENDIST  Computes genetic distances
      ------------- Programs for discrete state data -----------
  MIX       Wagner, Camin-Sokal, and mixed parsimony criteria
  MOVE      Interactive Wagner, C-S, mixed parsimony program
  PENNY     Finds all most parsimonious trees by branch-and-bound
  BOOT      Bootstrap confidence interval on mixed parsimony methods
  DOLLOP, DOLMOVE, DOLPENNY, DOLBOOT   same as preceding four
         programs, but for the Dollo and polymorphism parsimony criteria
  CLIQUE    Compatibility method       FACTOR    recode multistate characters
      ---------- Programs for plotting trees and consensus trees -------
  DRAWGRAM  Draws cladograms and phenograms on screens, plotters and printers
  DRAWTREE  Draws unrooted phylogenies on screens, plotters and printers
  CONSENSE  Majority-rule and strict consensus trees

The package includes extensive documentation files that provide the information
necessary to use and modify the programs.

COMPATIBILITY: The programs are written in a very standard subset of Pascal,  a
language  that  is  available on most computers (including microcomputers). The
programs require only trivial  modifications  to  run  on  most  machines:  for
example  they work with only minor modifications with Turbo Pascal, and without
modifications on VAX VMS Pascal.  Pascal source  code  is  distributed  in  the
regular  version  of PHYLIP: compiled object code is not.  To use that version,
you must have a Pascal compiler.

DISKETTE DISTRIBUTION: The package is distributed in a variety of microcomputer
diskette  formats.   You  should send  FORMATTED diskettes, which I will return
with the package written on them.  Unfortunately,  I  cannot  write  any  Apple
formats.   See  below  for  how  many  diskettes  to send.  The programs on the
magnetic tape or electronic network versions may of course  also  be  moved  to
microcomputers using a terminal program.

PRECOMPILED VERSIONS: Precompiled executable programs  for  PCDOS  systems  are
available  from me.  Specify the "PCDOS executable version" and send the number
of  extra  diskettes  indicated  below.   An  Apple  Macintosh   version   with
precompiled  code  is  available from Willem Ellis, Instituut voor Taxonomische
Zoologie, Zoologisch Museum, Universiteit van  Amsterdam,  Plantage  Middenlaan
64, 1018DH Amsterdam, Netherlands, who asks that you send 5 800K diskettes.

HOW MANY DISKETTES TO SEND: The  following  table  shows  for  different  PCDOS
formats  how  many  diskettes to send, and how many extra diskettes to send for
the PCDOS executable version:
   Diskette size  Density   For source code  For executables send in addition
   3.5 inch       1.44 Mb         2                     1
   5.25 inch      1.2 Mb          2                     2
   3.5 inch       720 Kb          4                     2
   5.25 inch      360 Kb          7                     4
Some other formats are also available.  You MUST tell me EXACTLY which of these
formats  you need.  The diskettes MUST be formatted by you before being sent to
me.  Sending an extra diskette may be helpful.

NETWORK DISTRIBUTION: The package is also  available  by  distribution  of  the
files   directly   over   electronic   networks,  and  by  anonymous  ftp  from
evolution.genetics.washington.edu.  Contact me by electronic mail for details.

TAPE DISTRIBUTION: The  programs  are  also  distributed  on  a  magnetic  tape
provided by you (which should be a small tape and need only be able to hold two
megabytes) in the following format:  9-track, ASCII,  odd  parity,  unlabelled,
6250  bpi  (unless  otherwise  indicated).  Logical  record: 80 bytes, physical
record: 3200 bytes (i.e. blocking factor 40).  There are a total of  71  files.
The first one describes the contents of the package.

POLICIES: The package is distributed free.  I  do  not  make  it  available  or
support  it  in  South Africa.  The package will be written on the diskettes or
tape, which will be mailed back.  They can be sent to:

                                                   Joe Felsenstein
Electronic mail addresses:                         Department of Genetics SK-50
 Internet:    joe@genetics.washington.edu          University of Washington
 BITNET/EARN: FELSENST@UWALOCKE                    Seattle, Washington 98195
 UUCP:    ... uw-beaver!evolution.genetics!joe     U.S.A.

***********Now back to our previous poster*********************

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (10/04/90)

[Edited as indicated by author in <3266.27092713@cc.helsinki.fi>.]
   2) A multimedia style laboratory diary/protocol database/experiment
   	planning/report generator/etc./etc. -utility

For these two, you might take a look at Thinker, which is sold as a
hypertext system, but is best described as a hyperoutliner.  The basic
structure is that of an outliner, but it has the ability to create
links to statements elsewhere in that document, or in in other
documents. It also includes the ability to include pictures in a
variety of forms, import/export text, launch other applications, and
an ARexx interface.  It comes with a simple drawing program that
manipulates objects and interfaces with Thinker. Since the Thinker
manual was written as a Thinker document, you can do some report
writing it it. Cost is usually around $80.

If you're in the SF Bay Area (I know, Reijo isn't likely to be) on
October 18th, there's a demo (among other things) of Thinker scheduled
for the BADGE meeting that night.

Note: I have no financial interest in the success of thinker; I just
find it very usefull.

	<mike
--
Can't buy happiness no matter what you do		Mike Meyer
Can't get to heaven on roller skates			mwm@relay.pa.dec.com

walterg@cs.athabascau.ca (Walter Gray) (10/05/90)

You may want to check out the MAPLE program
from the University of Waterloo, ON, Canada.
The program is available on a variety of OS
platforms and does a good job of many mathematical
procedures such as integration, linear alegbra, plotting
etc.

I am at home but will forward you an e-mail
address from work tomorrow.

maxc0849@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent) (10/05/90)

ypcazabon@tiger.uwaterloo.ca (Yvan Cazabon) writes:

>I agree there is a shortage of good scientific programming, but you might
>want to take a look at MATLAB, which is a port of the original Unix version
>(written in Fortran).  It does almost everything you would like to do w.r.t.
>matrix algebra, and has some 2D and 3D plotting abilities.  It's available
>via FTP, although I forget which site I got my copy from :-).

>Regards,
>Yvan Cazabon

	MATLAB is in the fred fish collection. 296 or something.

	You can find a COMPLETE collection of fish disks at the FTP site:

		128.8.10.14         (disk 1-370)

	Good luck.

--

 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[]  Only Amiga makes it Possible..  | InnerTangent: maxc0849@ucselx.sdsu.edu  []

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (10/09/90)

Another class of scientific/engineering programs I would like to see
on the Amiga is simulation programs.

At least two simulation tools have been specially developed for the
Macintosh: Extend and Perspective.  They employ the Mac's graphical
interface to support graphical model construction.  Surely a
comparable tool could do the same thing on the Amiga.

On the Amiga, you could do something even nicer:  If the simulation
executive had an AREXX port, it could output a stream of simulation events
via the AREXX port to any other Amiga application that also had an
AREXX port.  This would enable you to interface a variety of
AREXX-capable "back-ends" to the simulation executive:

   -- animation tools

   -- data analysis and data reduction tools (could conceivably use
	spreadsheets or DBMS's)

   -- business and/or scientific graphics tools

bbs@bluemoon.UUCP (BBS login) (10/09/90)

> Well, perhaps it's time the folks on the net got together and set up
> some sort of informal organization to deal with this.  Maybe it could
> start out as a mailing list for discussions/requests/collaborations/etc.
> It could even be used to apply concerted pressure on software houses
> to port/develop software that meets certain needs, if we can agree
> on what those needs are and show the potential market.  I would
> be willing to help with such an undertaking, *if* I can get some
> help setting it up (I've never done anything like that...) and if
> it's okay with this system owner (it's a small private system).
>
> What say you all?  If you would be interested in such a mailing
> list or other such idea, please send me email so I can get an
> idea of the number of people who might want to be involved.  In
> addition to posting any comments on the net, of course.

 I amsomewhat new to the Amiga (since Feb.) and especially this net. I
have been follwing this and related threads due to what I originally
bought my Amiga for, scientific research.  It had the best graphical
display for under $2000 (I am in the fields of Chaotic Attractors) and
could crunch some numbers in a fair amount of time, and I since I had a
C128, I knew quite a lot about the machine.  I am just starting out in C
and have been desperately been looking for at least the source for a
program to graph 10,000 coordinates in 3d, and be able to zoom in and out
an rotate without too bad a recalc time.  I guess what I am long-windedly
trying to say here, is that if this group does happen, I would like very
much to be a part of it and in general think it would be a great idea and
would help promote some serious scientific programs to pop up.

      Thanks

    (sorry bout no sig yet

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (10/09/90)

In article <SDL.90Oct8153631@lyra.linus.mitre.org> sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) writes:
         [...discussion of simulation on Macs deleted...]
>On the Amiga, you could do something even nicer:  If the simulation
>executive had an AREXX port, it could output a stream of simulation events
>via the AREXX port to any other Amiga application that also had an
>AREXX port.  This would enable you to interface a variety of
>AREXX-capable "back-ends" to the simulation executive:
                            [...]

Absolutely.  In addition to the "visualization" aspect, you could also do
interesting things with dynamic systems which require different types of
simulators for components of the system.  You could run multiple simulations
time-synchronised, and use AREXX as the interface between the components
of the simulation.

Example:  A flight simulating system in which one simulator produces new
          terrain and weather patterns, and a second simulator "flies"
          within this world.

Of course this could be accomplished within the same piece of software,
but there are times when you want the components seperate; for example,
when developing the software for a guidance system, you don't want the
"world simulator" that you use in development imbedded in your guidance
code.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

ARROWOOD@cc.usu.edu (10/12/90)

In article <3265.270916da@cc.helsinki.fi>, ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

> Here is a list of a few scientific programs I would like to see on Amiga:
>
> 1) A Bibliographic database (This is a MUST, every scientist need this!)
>    It has to be flexible and able to communicate properly with other Amiga
>    programs (Word processing, DTP)

     (Stuff deleted)

>   Reijo Ronkko     University of Helsinki, Dept. of General Microbiology,
>                    Mannerheimintie 172, 00300 Helsinki, FINLAND
>                    Fax +358-0-4735426
>
>                    Ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi

Just thought I'd let you know of a set of AREXX-based utilities I've put
together for just such a purpose.  Called, simply enough, Citation_Base.
The set includes two versions of the macros, the first work with Software
Visions Incorporated's MicroFiche Filer Plus, a database program with
full AREXX support.  My example database file has all of the necessary
fields pre-set and the AREXX macros can be called by selection from the
included pull down menus.  The macros allow the user to import biblio-
graphic citations from other bibliographic databases:  ProCite, EndNote,
Refer, BibIx, and from the USDA's Agricola CDROM and online databases, as
well as from ISI's Current Contents databases run on MacIntoshes or PC's.
Bibliographic databases may also be exported in most of these formats.

The most useful macro, however, is called LAYOUT.  LAYOUT allows selected
citations (in Citation_Base stock format) to be exported in virtually any
journal format, which can then be included as the bibliography or literature
cited section of your manuscript.  All necessary formatting is incorporated
(e.g. italics, bold face, underline...).  The output file can be in one
of two formats:  WordPerfect or Rich Text Format (RTF).  The latter can
be transfered to MicroSoft Word (Mac or PC) as well as UNIX RTF-compatible
programs.  Journal style templates are easily customized for those journals
not already included in the Citation_Base package.

For those users who cannot afford to purchase MFF+ (right away), a second
set of AREXX macros are included which can be executed via icon or from the
CLI or SHELL.  These macros work on text files of citations constructed with
a text editor (e.g. the public domain QED or the commercial CygnusEd).  All
of the features in the MFF+ version of the AREXX macros are available in
the text-file version.

The macros are not particularly speedy, but get the job done.  After all, I'm
a parasitologist, not a programmer.  I'd love to see a product like EndNote
(for the MacIntosh) on the Amiga, but I doubt Niles and Associates would
consider a port.  In the mean time, if anyone is interested in the
Citation_Base package, send me E-mail or write to me directly.  I'm new
to the Mail/FTP process, but if there is enough interest I'll try to get
one of my more knowledgeable colleagues to upload it to a FTP'able site.

Internet:    ARROWOOD@CC.USU.EDU        "LIFEFORCE:  Sixteen breasts, 24 dead
Bitnet:      ARROWOOD@USU                dead bodies, 17 quarts blood, 57
Turtle Mail: Mike Arrowood               beasts, 3 gratuitous vampire attacks,
             Utah State Univ. UMC 5600   kung fu, lip fu, exploding actors...
             Logan, UTAH   84322         FOUR stars: Joe Bob says check it out"

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (10/12/90)

>  I amsomewhat new to the Amiga (since Feb.) and especially this net. I
> have been follwing this and related threads due to what I originally
> bought my Amiga for, scientific research.  It had the best graphical
> display for under $2000 (I am in the fields of Chaotic Attractors) and
                     ^^^^ okay, not a 68030

> could crunch some numbers in a fair amount of time, and I since I had a
> C128, I knew quite a lot about the machine.

starts me worrying..

  I am just starting out in C
> and have been desperately been looking for at least the source for a
> program to graph 10,000 coordinates in 3d, and be able to zoom in and out
> and rotate
^^^^^^^^^^^   Plot on an middling early fish disk can do this. Also check
out the PLPLOT libarary.

 without too bad a recalc time.

10,000(points) *3 (dimensions) integer (at best) calculations, then
hidden line removal, then
pixel pushing.

It will have a terrible recalc time!