[comp.sys.amiga] alt.sources.amiga

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (10/07/89)

In article <1600@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu>, jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
> I just posted the ARP 1.3 User's Docs to alt.sources.amiga.  My system
> still thinks it is moderated, so be patient and see what happens.

Yeah.  Anyone posting to alt.sources.amiga within the next few days or even
weeks (while the unmoderation message is still propagating and/or some sites
still think it's moderated), please shove an "Approved:" line in your postings
header if you know how.  It'll save Peter from having to rip through a bunch
of bounces from machines that think the group is still moderated.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that
-- 			 flags do not wave in a vacuum."  -- Arthur C. Clarke

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (10/11/90)

[ Enter the net.police...]

Please do NOT post discussions to alt.sources.amiga.  That newsgroup
is for program sources.  comp.sys.amiga is for discussions.

                           Thanks,

--

                                                Jim Pritchett

UUCP:  texsun.central.sun.com!letni!rwsys!caleb!jdp
 or    letni.lonestar.org!dms3b1!caleb!jdp

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (10/12/90)

In article <10177.AA10177@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>[ Enter the net.police...]
>
>Please do NOT post discussions to alt.sources.amiga.  That newsgroup
>is for program sources.  comp.sys.amiga is for discussions.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the point of alt.sources.amiga when a
  perfectly servicable comp.sources.amiga exists?  And aren't alt.*
  groups, by definition, pretty much immune to interference from
  net.police, self-proclaimed or otherwise?

>                                                Jim Pritchett

**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (10/13/90)

[]

In article <9037@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>
bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) writes:

> Excuse my ignorance, but what's the point of alt.sources.amiga when a
>   perfectly servicable comp.sources.amiga exists?  And aren't alt.*

At various times, the volunteer moderators of comp.sources.amiga have
been too busy to post for weeks or months at a time.  alt.sources.amiga
was created to provide a backup distribution method.  Since it is not
moderated, it was expected to expedite source distribution.  Unfortunately,
many sites do not get the alt newsgroups.

>   groups, by definition, pretty much immune to interference from
>   net.police, self-proclaimed or otherwise?

All newsgroups (except possibly moderated ones) are hostage to the
cooperation of the net readership (postership?)  If you post amiga
binaries to talk.politics or rec.autos, people will ask you to stop.
Some people flame, others ask politely.  But noone except your site
administrator can actually prevent you from posting whatever you
choose whereever you choose.  There are no "REAL" net.police.  I,
like many others, sometimes take it upon myself to remind the net
what a particular newsgroup is expected to contain.  In this case,
it is supposed to contain Amiga program sources.  (Actually, the
charter for the group allowed limited discussions about programs
posted to the group.)  Of course, you are free to ignore my request
if you so desire...