[comp.sys.amiga] Atari ST 1040 Emulator...

252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (10/05/90)

I just got the Atari Emulator off of New Xanth, and I have to say
that it is an awesome program.  One problem though is the need
to have the proper Atari-St system disks to get anything done with it.

I was wondering if there are any PD programs to convert Amiga floppies
to Atari ST floppies.  I know DOS2DOS does it, but unfortunately I
don't own it.

All I need is a disk with a term program, so I can pull stuff of my
BBS and Internet for it.  (* Or maybe someone could lhwarp and Atari-ST
disk with a terminal prg and post it on NewXanth.... *)

later
Phil Dietz

<<<=================--------- Cheap Ad ---------===================<<<
Phil Dietz                       SWL Lincoln    550 MEGS! 2 lines
252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu         (402)421-1963  IBM, GIFS, MAC, AMIGA

rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (10/05/90)

  The Atari emulator on the New Xanth doesn't work for me. I only have
chip ram (no fast) 1 meg chip. But evidently, the program assumes
you have memory at $C00000 or something. What happens is, that
after I choose the resolution, the screen goes great, the power light
flickers very fast, and the machine locks up. On other versions of the
same program I have gotten a garbage graphics screen (I guess
the bitplane points were pointed to $c00000 ram when I dont have any)
Sigh... Any hackers out here think its possible to alter all $c00000
references to $80000 and still have the program work?

--
"NeXTs are useless... Mac's are irrelevent.. IBM's are futile. Amiga's,however,
are quite nice!" -Capt Jeal-Luc Amiga      |     Flames to /dev/null

epa@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Eric P. Armstrong) (10/05/90)

252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>I just got the Atari Emulator off of New Xanth, and I have to say
>that it is an awesome program.  One problem though is the need
>to have the proper Atari-St system disks to get anything done with it.
>
>I was wondering if there are any PD programs to convert Amiga floppies
>to Atari ST floppies.  I know DOS2DOS does it, but unfortunately I
>don't own it.

Use MSH1.30 Its on a fish disk somewhere.

>All I need is a disk with a term program, so I can pull stuff of my
>BBS and Internet for it.  (* Or maybe someone could lhwarp and Atari-ST
>disk with a terminal prg and post it on NewXanth.... *)

I downloaded and tried a Atari-ST term program.  It couldn't access the serial
port.  Just messing around with the desktop crashed it a few times.

>Later
>Phil Dietz

Overall It is a sorta neat program, but I wonder about the legality of it
with the Atari TOS system in it.

---
Eric Paul Armstrong                     Kansas State University
   Bitnet:  ericpaul@ksuvm.bitnet
  Internet: epa@phobos.cis.ksu.edu

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (10/06/90)

I ran it on my 3000 and got nothing but a blank screen, if I have a system
disk will it work? Or does it sound like it doesn't work with the '030??

Duane

slfields@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Scott L Fields) (10/06/90)

In article <8839@helios.TAMU.EDU> n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:
>I ran it on my 3000 and got nothing but a blank screen, if I have a system
>disk will it work? Or does it sound like it doesn't work with the '030??

You have just discovered the bane of the Atari users life. {NO ABILITY TO USE
A 68020/68030/68040/ETC.} The atari uses the reserved intruction basically
called the 55 intereupt {if I remember}. Well, that instruction is used for
the coproccessor supports in the 68020 and later chips. Try to run ST code on
a 68020 or higher and BOOM!. OS calls make the machine crash. This is the main
reason it has been so long for any Atari to use the 68020/etc period until the
release of the TT. And that is basically incompatible with all previous soft
ware. Oh well. I guess that is a good reason to NOT buy a 3000. What good is
a machine that can't run Atari ST software. {excuse me while I throw up}

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/06/90)

Try MessyDOS. It's better than CrossDOS and free (shareware?) too.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu (10/06/90)

   I have a 2000HD with only one meg, will the emulator work on it?

pashdown@shotput.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (10/09/90)

252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>I was wondering if there are any PD programs to convert Amiga floppies
>to Atari ST floppies.  I know DOS2DOS does it, but unfortunately I
>don't own it.

You can use regular IBM format as well, although I believe CrossDOS can
format and read/write the ST format too.  The ST format is a subset of
IBM format.  They are forced into eight character ALLCAPS.THRee letter
extensions too.  That's what I call progress!

I downloaded a PD PacMan game off a local ST BBS to try on the emulator.
It worked fine, although it was about 90% of the speed, with no sound.  Then
the realization hit me.  What use does an ST have over an Amiga?  I tried
and tried and tried to think of something the ST had that I would want to
run.  It came down to this:

1. Karateka - Never came out for the Amiga.
2. Millipede - ditto, although Evil Garden is better.
3. Joust

Has anyone tried these on the emulator?  Other than that, I'm at a loss
to what use the ST Emulator is.  I suppose that it would be good if you
were an ST owner thinking of going to the Amiga and didn't want to lose
your software investment.  Too bad the ST's OS can't handle anything
besides a 68000, speed is the biggest problem.  Anyone try it on the
14 mhz 500 hack?

>Phil Dietz                       SWL Lincoln    550 MEGS! 2 lines
>252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu         (402)421-1963  IBM, GIFS, MAC, AMIGA

--
 /    (Rotate head 90 degrees for full effect)
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------->=<o
 \    Pete Ashdown    pashdown@esunix   ...utah-cs!esunix!pashdown

bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Luneski) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct05.050625.28960@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>I just got the Atari Emulator off of New Xanth, and I have to say
>that it is an awesome program.  One problem though is the need
>to have the proper Atari-St system disks to get anything done with it.

How did you get it to work? There were basically no installation docs
and trying to run it from either floppy or HD yeilded nothin but the
resolution requestor and then a blank screen follwed shortly by a guru
(A2000 with 1 meg chip 2 meg fast 130 meg SCSI drive)

Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

  Bob Luneski          bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM           Genie: B.LUNESKI1

  The opinions expressed herein are my own and in no way reflect the
  opinions of Tektronix, Inc.

ed@swift.CECNYE (Edward Betancourt) (10/09/90)

252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>I just got the Atari Emulator off of New Xanth, and I have to say
                                      ^^^^^^^^^
Sorry for any wasted bandwidth here but I seemed to have missed something
along the way. I have no idea what the correct address for New Xanth is nor
the path to the above mentioned file.

Could someone please e-mail or post this information?

Thanks,

Edward Betancourt         ..uunet!swift!ed           CIS: 76537,1407

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (10/10/90)

In article <173@swift.CECNYE>, ed@swift.CECNYE (Edward Betancourt) writes:
> 252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>
> >I just got the Atari Emulator off of New Xanth, and I have to say
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^
> Sorry for any wasted bandwidth here but I seemed to have missed something
> along the way. I have no idea what the correct address for New Xanth is nor
> the path to the above mentioned file.
>
> Could someone please e-mail or post this information?
>
> Thanks,

> Edward Betancourt         ..uunet!swift!ed           CIS: 76537,1407

     Yes, post it please and post the filename to ftp. Thanks.

-Steve M. Suhy-

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (10/10/90)

nasa.gov.  Its IP is 128.155.23.64.

| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|

In article <1990Oct5.185748.6998@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> slfields@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Scott L Fields) writes:
>In article <8839@helios.TAMU.EDU> n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:
>>I ran it on my 3000 and got nothing but a blank screen, if I have a system
>>disk will it work? Or does it sound like it doesn't work with the '030??
>
>You have just discovered the bane of the Atari users life. {NO ABILITY TO USE

Yes and no...
>A 68020/68030/68040/ETC.} The atari uses the reserved intruction basically
>called the 55 intereupt {if I remember}. Well, that instruction is used for

We call it the Line-F trap vector... (Any opcode of the form 0xF***). This
is indeed intended for coprocessor support in the '020 and up, and Atari really
blew it by using this vector in the ROMs. But that doesn't prevent the '020
from running TOS, just prevents it from being able to use a coprocessor.

The big problem is naive trap-handling code. There was only one type/size of
stack frame on the 68000, and there any many different ones on '020 and such.
This is what makes the biggest problems, though it can also be fixed with a
simple patch. (Snag the trap vector, save the context that the TOS doesn't
expect to see, push a short frame onto the stack, then jump back into the old
trap handler. Pop everything on return... A hassle, but doable.)

>the coproccessor supports in the 68020 and later chips. Try to run ST code on
>a 68020 or higher and BOOM!. OS calls make the machine crash. This is the main
>reason it has been so long for any Atari to use the 68020/etc period until the
>release of the TT. And that is basically incompatible with all previous soft

All previous software? Not that bad. I think they mentioned numbers around
80-90% of existing software *still working*. Not bad, considering what they
had to start with. (Yeah, TOS sucks. But what would you expect of a system
that started from CP/M68K and then tried to be MSDOS with graphics?)

>ware. Oh well. I guess that is a good reason to NOT buy a 3000. What good is
>a machine that can't run Atari ST software. {excuse me while I throw up}

Say, can you run gcc, gdb, g++, and gnu-emacs on your Amiga? Concurrently?
It ain't exactly speedy, but I've done it on occasion on my ST. I think a
better question is "what good is a machine that can't run *GOOD* software."
This isn't intended to start a stupid flame-war... The ST is a pretty good
computer, the Amiga is pretty good. I hate Macs & PCs. What else needs to
be said?
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip