[comp.sys.amiga] Default screen size, chip set difference?

rosner@europa.asd.contel.com (John J. Rosner) (10/03/90)

I have an Amiga 3000/25 100 and so does a neighbor of mine.  When I go into
prefs and select screenmode for Hi-res interlace the default comes up 640
x 400, no great surprise.  My neighbor's comes up 724 x 482, I'm suddenly
envious.  We both run Workbench 36.68 but my kickstart was 36.141, it's now
36.143 like his but no difference in screen size.  When I change the screen
size to 724 x 482 I simply get a virtual screen of that size and not a larger
display screen like his.  Is this a difference in the chip set as his machine
is obviously a little newer than mine?  If so how do I upgrade?
 --
John J. Rosner
(703)818-4259

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (10/13/90)

In article <1012900835rosner@asd.contel.com> rosner@europa.asd.contel.com (John J. Rosner) writes:
>I have an Amiga 3000/25 100 and so does a neighbor of mine.  When I go into
>prefs and select screenmode for Hi-res interlace the default comes up 640
>x 400, no great surprise.  My neighbor's comes up 724 x 482, I'm suddenly
>envious.  We both run Workbench 36.68 but my kickstart was 36.141, it's now
>36.143 like his but no difference in screen size.  When I change the screen
>size to 724 x 482 I simply get a virtual screen of that size and not a larger
>display screen like his.  Is this a difference in the chip set as his machine
>is obviously a little newer than mine?  If so how do I upgrade?

Nah.  Your "friend" just didn't tell you about overscan.  One of the
preference programs (I forget exactly what it is called) will let you
twiddle little blocks around on the screen to make an outline of the
most space you have on the screen.  This is called an Overscan editor.
After you save the dimensions in this manner, WorkBench will know
about it, and use the extra pixel space, without having to fool around
with virtual screens.  Of course, the larger screen requires more
memory, but the Japanese are still friendly with their chip prices, so
who cares?  Consult the 2.0 docs about Preferences for more
information.

>John J. Rosner

             Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (10/13/90)

In article <1012900835rosner@asd.contel.com> rosner@europa.asd.contel.com (John J. Rosner) writes:
>I have an Amiga 3000/25 100 and so does a neighbor of mine.  When I go into
>prefs and select screenmode for Hi-res interlace the default comes up 640
>x 400, no great surprise.  My neighbor's comes up 724 x 482, I'm suddenly
>envious.  We both run Workbench 36.68 but my kickstart was 36.141, it's now
>36.143 like his but no difference in screen size.  When I change the screen
>size to 724 x 482 I simply get a virtual screen of that size and not a larger
>display screen like his.  Is this a difference in the chip set as his machine
>is obviously a little newer than mine?  If so how do I upgrade?
> --
>John J. Rosner

Take a look at the Preferences editor called "OverScan"

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer @ Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj          |
 | "Fasten your seatbelt, I want to try something."                     |