[net.music] Who is Toejam Jawallaby????

lkk@teddy.UUCP (10/21/85)

After all of this discussion touting Toejam Jawallaby as
"The world's greatest guitarist", I've been trying to
find some records by him so I could hear for myself.

None of the record stores in Cambridge seem to carry anything by
him.  A local radio station library was equally devoid.

JUST WHO IS THIS GUY?  Does he solo, or is he part of a band
whose records I should be looking for instead?

--

Sport Death,
Larry Kolodney

Life is either a daring adventure,
or nothing.
- Helen Keller

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (10/21/85)

In article <1466@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP writes:
>After all of this discussion touting Toejam Jawallaby as
>"The world's greatest guitarist", I've been trying to
>find some records by him so I could hear for myself...
>JUST WHO IS THIS GUY?  Does he solo, or is he part of a band
>whose records I should be looking for instead?

Ever hear of the Masked Marauders?

AWR

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (10/22/85)

In article <683@grkermi.UUCP> andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) writes:
>In article <1466@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP writes:
>>After all of this discussion touting Toejam Jawallaby...
>>JUST WHO IS THIS GUY?  Does he solo, or is he part of a band...?
>
>Ever hear of the Masked Marauders?

Me and my big mouth!  Now I'm getting mail asking who the Masked Marauders
are!  OK, here goes...

The Masked Marauders were a hoax perpetrated by Rolling Stone back in 1969.
One of their staff writers, using the pseudonym T.M. Christian, concocted
a review of a nonexistent LP by the Masked Marauders, a "supergroup" who
supposedly consisted of Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger,
et. al., and who allegedly recorded the LP "in a small studio near the site
of the original Hudson's Bay Colony".

Needless to say, hordes of gullible, beat-crazed teens descended upon
unsuspecting record stores nationwide demanding the Masked Marauders album -
which of course did not exist.  (As I recall, the MM ruse coincided with the
"Paul Is Dead" rumors, which made it even more tantalizing!)

The story took a bizarre turn a couple weeks later when a Masked Marauders LP
*actually did* show up in the stores - with liner notes (attributed to the
same "T.M. Christian"), song titles, and label ("Deity") and matrix number
mimicking the Rolling Stone review!  It contained such gems as "Bob Dylan"
singing "Duke of Earl", a two-chord "Mick Jagger" tune called "Can't Get No
Nookie" (deemed "obscene" by the FCC), etc.  For the benefit of those who
still couldn't tell it was all a crock, the closing track contained the line
"I paid $3.98 for an album with Bob Dylan, John Lennon, et. al., and what did
I get?  THIS PIECE OF SHIT!"

It turns out that the MM album was the work of an obscure group called the
Cleanliness and Godliness Skiffle Band, who recorded it in order to see just
how much farther they could take the hoax.  I picked it up in a cutout bin
a couple years later, and will snail a copy of the liner notes upon request.

AWR

rgh@inmet.UUCP (10/23/85)

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) writes:
> It turns out that the [Masked Marauders] album was the work of
> an obscure group called the Cleanliness and Godliness Skiffle Band,
> who recorded it in order to see just how much farther they could
> take the hoax.

It is with some trepidation that I disagree with our erudite
Rock Scholar/Archivist of the Net, but I recall that that album
was done by a marginally less obscure group called The Nitty Gritty
Dirt Band.  (An aside:  their masterpiece, "Will the Circle Be
Unbroken", a survey of all that is good in folkish country music, graced by
countless notable [real] guest artists, has recently been re-relesed --
I saw it at the Harvard Coop.)

    Randy Hudson {ihnp4,ima}!inmet!rgh

lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (10/24/85)

In article <1466@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP writes:
>After all of this discussion touting Toejam Jawallaby as
>"The world's greatest guitarist", I've been trying to
>find some records by him so I could hear for myself.
>
>None of the record stores in Cambridge seem to carry anything by
>him.  A local radio station library was equally devoid.
>

>JUST WHO IS THIS GUY?  Does he solo, or is he part of a band
>whose records I should be looking for instead?

             Anybody who opens their mouth and spoils the surprise
          will be summarily shot!!!!!!

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/25/85)

In article <1466@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP writes:
>After all of this discussion touting Toejam Jawallaby as
>"The world's greatest guitarist", I've been trying to
>find some records by him so I could hear for myself.
>
>None of the record stores in Cambridge seem to carry anything by
>him.  A local radio station library was equally devoid.
>

>JUST WHO IS THIS GUY?  Does he solo, or is he part of a band
>whose records I should be looking for instead?
>
>--
>
>Sport Death,
>Larry Kolodney
>(USENET) ...decvax!genrad!teddy!lkk
>(INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa
>
>Life is either a daring adventure,
>or nothing.
>- Helen Keller

Let all people this side of the galaxy pray that the above article is not
serious. If it is, the author may be punished with castration by cheesegrater.

"Life is nuffin wifout a good woman and some ripple"
-Toejam Jawallaby (circa 1784 on the BBC hour on WCOL,Boston)

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

Warning: Objects in Terminal Room are Closer than they Appear...