[comp.sys.amiga] Educational policy

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (AMOEBOID) (02/06/90)

For a limited time (like till the end of March), Commodore
is allowing individual components to be purchased under the
educational pricing system, by qualified individuals,
WITHOUT having to also purchase a CPU or Bundle.
They are doing this because the response to the new
educational policy has been so well received.

So if you have been wanting that 2630 card, go
for it :-).

George

--
UUCP:  ucqais.uc.edu!ggibeau  BBS: (513) 721-7977  GT NODE: 006/005
US Snail-Dept of Biology ML 06, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45221

ga1060@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Rick Blewitt) (10/11/90)

I was told by one of Commedore's educational reps at the AmiExpo that
there would be a meeting on Monday for all of the educational people
to decide policies.  So guys, what's the word?  Specifically, I wish
to buy a 3000 25/50 now, and later uprgrade to the unix system.
Will this be possible under the educational discount, because at the
moment, we can only get the discount if we buy a complete system,
and I really don't want to wait 6 months to buy the unix box.

                                               Rick Blewitt
                                               Rblewitt@ucsd.com

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (10/12/90)

In article <13169@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ga1060@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Rick Blewitt) writes:
>I was told by one of Commedore's educational reps at the AmiExpo that
>there would be a meeting on Monday for all of the educational people
>to decide policies.  So guys, what's the word?  Specifically, I wish
>to buy a 3000 25/50 now, and later uprgrade to the unix system.
>Will this be possible under the educational discount, because at the
>moment, we can only get the discount if we buy a complete system,
>and I really don't want to wait 6 months to buy the unix box.

The dilemma we have, and every other vendor with an Ed program has, is that
there is a constant concern that systems being purchased through the Ed
program are being grey marketed.  Our policy of one system per year is among
the most flexible in the business.

--

Howard S. Diamond  Director of Education, Commodore Business Machines
1200 Wilson Drive West Chester, Pa, 19380

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (10/14/90)

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) says:

>The dilemma we have, and every other vendor with an Ed program has, is that
>there is a constant concern that systems being purchased through the Ed
>program are being grey marketed.  Our policy of one system per year is among
>the most flexible in the business.

I'll vouch for that.  A friend bought a Mac through PSU's ed. discount
plan through me (I was a student, he wasn't).  I had to sign a form
saying I could not sell the product for quite a while, and acknowledging
I could NEVER get another Apple CPU under ed. discount again.

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

bartonr@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Robert L Barton) (10/14/90)

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:
> The dilemma we have, and every other vendor with an Ed program has, is that
> there is a constant concern that systems being purchased through the Ed
> program are being grey marketed.

  In that case, why doesn't Commodore simply do away with the stiff
non-educational surcharges it currently imposes?  That should cure the problem.

Robert L Barton
Winterland Productions

ST00482@auvm.auvm.edu (dan drake) (10/14/90)

That's why apple won't sell students postscript laser printers. Lots
of students in California bought them and lots of the printers appeared
on the street.

dan.