[comp.sys.amiga] Walker Demo

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/22/88)

From article <275@antares.UUCP>, by jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith):
> In article <1097@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>1) What's the format for the WINDOW= tool type? The 1.3 manual omitted this
>>   litte detail.
>
> Try the examples on page 1-2, where they talk about setting the tool types
> on the SHELL or CLI icons.  "WINDOW=CON:/0/0/640/200/FullSizedWindow".
>
>>2) How can I do an assign to the the current directory?
>
> 'ASSIGN HERE: ""'.  Two quotemarks with nothing between them is an alias
> for the current directory.

Thanks everyone! Judging by the number of replies I recieved on this
question, I guess I need to re-read all the manuals. :-)

The demo I was try to get running on my hard drive is the "Walker Demo".
It's a two disk animation that requres 2M of RAM. (Sound like some of
rule-breakers mentioned in the KDC rules discussions?) It's a loop of
the "The Empire Strikes Back" ATAT walking in front of an A2000. It's a
pretty impressive piece that was shot frame by frame from a model with
DigiView, and animated with The Director (sorry, but the author's name
escapes me). It has plenty of impressive sound too.

It always runs fine from the floppies (and takes FOREVER to load), but
it crashes more often than not when run from the hard drive. For some
reason it tries to write to the disk (and fails since I used the Lock
command (a little paranoia can be a good thing :-)). It has no problem
running from write protected floppies.

Is there some problem with running a Director driven animation with the
FFS and a hard drive, or is this demo particularly ill behaved?

(There is one assign made in the floppy's startup-sequence, and I do this
with my IconX script, and also assign both floppy volume names to the
current dir. There are no other commands in the original S-S file other
than some Echos.)
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (11/25/88)

The ATAT Walker animation was created by Brian Williams.  He calls his
company "Imaginetics" - as far as I know he alone is the company.

A real talented computer artist who leans toward the same "ultra realism"
school favored by Jim Sachs.  Like Sachs, Williams tends to create in only
the low-resolution 32 color mode and uses a similar if not the same color
palette.

I would not be at all surprised if you see a lot of Williams work show up
in a certain disk-based Amiga magazine soon.  If you admire Brian's work
in the Walker animation there are a LOT of his other screens and anims
that are gettable.  There's a full-disk self-promoting slide show from
Imaginetics that I'll be putting up on People/Link soon.  He also did the
artwork for the Capone and P.O.W. games.

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
<---open            Push down while turning           close tightly--->

keithd@gryphon.COM (Keith Doyle) (11/25/88)

In article <1102@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>Is there some problem with running a Director driven animation with the
>FFS and a hard drive,

Not inherently.  I've been using it with 1.3 on a FFS hard drive and have
noticed no ill effects.

>or is this demo particularly ill behaved?

Beats me.  Without the script it's pretty hard to tell what is going on.
He's probably accessing each disk by name, you may need two assigns to
set wanim0: and wanim1: up correctly, and of course you'll need mod:
defined and the projector's icon must also exist if you're clicking on the
.film file icon.

Keith Doyle
gryphon!keithd

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (11/28/88)

In article <1102@esunix.UUCP>, blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> From article <275@antares.UUCP>, by jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith):
>> In article <1097@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>>1) What's the format for the WINDOW= tool type? The 1.3 manual omitted this
>>>   litte detail.
>>
>> Try the examples on page 1-2, where they talk about setting the tool types
>> on the SHELL or CLI icons.  "WINDOW=CON:/0/0/640/200/FullSizedWindow".
>>
>>>2) How can I do an assign to the the current directory?
>>
>> 'ASSIGN HERE: ""'.  Two quotemarks with nothing between them is an alias
>> for the current directory.
>
> Thanks everyone! Judging by the number of replies I recieved on this
> question, I guess I need to re-read all the manuals. :-)
>
> --
> Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
> Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
> There: uunet!iconsys!caeco!pedro!worsel!blaine (under construction)
> "Nobody will ever need more than 64K."    "Nobody needs multitasking on a PC."

I needed this information too, thanks!  Now, how do I get rid of
the window altogether?  WINDOW=NONE doesn't seem to work.
--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/28/88)

In article <2722@mibte.UUCP> jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
>I needed this information too, thanks!  Now, how do I get rid of
>the window altogether?  WINDOW=NONE doesn't seem to work.

WINDOW=NIL:

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"

alendorf@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Todd Michael Allendorf) (11/12/89)

I heard about this demo when I came back to school from summer vacation,
but I've never seen it and can't find it on any ftp site.
Does anybody out there have this demo and could email it to me or direct
me to an ftp site with it.
Thanks in advance!

harper@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/14/89)

>I heard about this demo when I came back to school from summer vacation,
>but I've never seen it and can't find it on any ftp site.
>Does anybody out there have this demo and could email it to me or direct
>me to an ftp site with it.

Me too!

(harper@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu) or
(harper@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu)

Thanx.

castorca@EA.USL.EDU (Christian Castor) (10/15/90)

Anybody knows an FTP site in which I could find a copy of
the Walker I demo?  You now, the one in which the "Walker"
passes in front of an A2000.
(I found the demo at Compu$erve, but it would cost ~$20.00
of online time to download it!. Sheesh....)

Thanx in advance.

- Chris C

---

sigfile.lzh   4604 bytes   ----rwed 22-Sep-90 22:38:14