[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore International

WHE46@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (10/10/90)

In message <6762@sugar.hackercorp.com> Peter da Silva
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com> writes:

>The following are a bunch of irrelevent comments.
>
>In article <5719@munnari.oz.au> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Small Guts) writes:
> 			4) Safety of the US postal system (or courier)
>
>Better than the safety of Australia Post. Having had various expensive-looking
>packages disappear into the bowels of GPO Sydney over the years, I'd be more
>worried about that.
>
>> By comparison, comparing C= US to C= Australia is like
>> comparing a Porsche to a Volkswagen; One goes quick when and where you want
>> to, the other breaks down and isn't much help at all.
(Stuff about Porsches deleted)

   Copperman has done quite a job in turning Commodore U.S. around in the
past year.  Commodore still has problems, but fewer than it did a year
ago.  Unfortunately, the Commodore subsidiaries in other countries are
still stuck in the mud.

   I say that the Commodore board ought to find a way to get rid of
Irving Gould, and make Copperman the president, CEO, and Chairman of the
Board of Commodore International, Ltd.  This would allow him to turn
all of Commodore around, and not just the US subsidiary.

                                  -MB-

In article <32916@nigel.ee.udel.edu> WHE46@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>   Copperman has done quite a job in turning Commodore U.S. around in the
>past year.  Commodore still has problems, but fewer than it did a year
>ago.  Unfortunately, the Commodore subsidiaries in other countries are
>still stuck in the mud.

Oh no, there are at least SOME exceptions :-))

rwm@atronx.UUCP (Russell McOrmond) (10/11/90)

In a message posted on 9 Oct 90 19:34:47 GMT,
MB>   I say that the Commodore board ought to find a way to get rid of
MB>Irving Gould, and make Copperman the president, CEO, and Chairman of the
MB>Board of Commodore International, Ltd.  This would allow him to turn
MB>all of Commodore around, and not just the US subsidiary.

Personally, I think that the US subsidiary is the one that needed it the most -
the Amiga seems to be selling quite well in other countries, and in a lot of
cases, receives more support.  The Amiga right now has a very good and building
software and hardware platform, but what we need most right now is Sales and
Support - These are the parts of the Amiga picture that the Individual
Commodore's take care of.

  Here's an example of something I don't expect to see here (Yes, I'm in
Canada, but Canada is just a 'purchaser' from the U.S., and seems to follow
a lot of the policy/etc).  Commodore Australia has gotten together with
their Police force, and is right now doing a major portion of their 'Mug Shot'
and InterPol transfers using Amiga equipment. C= Aus took care of the hardware
and software (Eithor themselves, or found the appropriate third party).
  Now, if this were to happen In Canada (It was from the RCMP that I found
out about C= Australia's setup) I don't know if C= Canada would be able to
keep things going - They depend quite a bit on the 'Dealer Network' (Which
I am a part of at the store that I work for) and for the most part I do not
think this is the way to go.

  anyways....:Later

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own.  My Employer does not even
know what these networks ARE.

  Russell McOrmond   rwm@atronx.UUCP   {fts1,alzabo}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/11/90)

>In a whine posted on 9 Oct 90 19:34:47 GMT,
>MB>   I say that the Commodore board ought to find a way to get rid of
>MB>Irving Gould, and make Copperman the president, CEO, and Chairman of the
>MB>Board of Commodore International, Ltd.  This would allow him to turn
>MB>all of Commodore around, and not just the US subsidiary.

Do you think at all before you post?  I'm not trying to be nasty, but
sometimes I just can't make any sense out of you, Marc.  Being that CBM
is a public company and that Irving Gould has a controlling stake in
the common stock, THAT decides who is in charge.  Money talks and
all the whining about Irving Gould isn't going to change that fact.
Sure, he earns a really fat salary.  So what???  That is his perogative
as CEO.  If you want to change this policy, I suggest you start saving
your pennies and buy up enough CBM stock to take over.

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

Just went to a local "business" computer expo. NeXT was there. Sun was
there. DEC was there in force. Intergraph was there. No Amigas in sight.

Lots of really crummy Autocad Animator videos and sales-sluts raving about
multimedia on IBM-PCs. The only person at the show who knew an Amiga from a
hole in the ground was the technical type guy at the NeXT booth. The NeXT
really acts like an Amiga on steroids... if an A3000UX retails for anything
more then the $5000 the NeXTstation costs, forget it.

Hey, Commodore? How about reading a few newspapers so you can find out about
these things and make a showing?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.