[comp.sys.amiga] AMIGA 4000????

njg2@po.CWRU.Edu (J. Norell Guttman) (10/10/90)

I need some serious info and hard core facts - yeah I know the
Motorolla 68040 and TI graphic chips but I want all the specs -
I am being attacked by SparcStation fiends who taunt us Amiga users.

			RSVP - ASAP

	Internet:njg2@po.cwru.edu
	Case Western Reserve University
	J.Norell Guttman

a708@mindlink.UUCP (Gord Wait) (10/10/90)

You can purchase a sparc station now (no disk) for about $5 K US
dollars.. Add to it a SCSI drive for say $2 K and you have a workable sparc for
$7 K US. This comes with 1152 by 900 70 hz display, full unix etc. I use an
Amiga 1000 at home and a sparcstation 1 at work. They do not compare. The amiga
is low cost, but can do good (LO-RES) animations etc. Amiga SW is low cost. On
the Sparc, I can do ASIC chip simulations that require 70 meg virtual memory
and reasonable speed (ie 12 mips to .1 mip) so I can finish my project this
decade. When you put a 68040 in a 2500/3000 amiga and add 8 meg ram, hi res
screen, and add enough stuff to Support Unix, THEN you can compare... but then
your price on the amiga side is getting awfully close to a sparc.....
(I like both machines, I just wanted to throw my two bits into the fire...)

Gord Wait

podop03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (10/11/90)

Of course they are going to taunt Amiga users [sparc people].  Their Sparc
costs much, much more (up in the tens of thousands.. like $20,000 ring a bell?)
Our school has a few SPARCs but I can do everything on an Amiga I can on a
Sparc, and my Amiga is faster (at least to me). OF course, I can't do readnews
and telnet and rlogin.  But the basics - C programming and some CAD... my
A2500 is like a sparc with a smaller monitor.  Be serious, Sparc users.
Take it from someone who uses both on a day-to-day basis.

.=============================================================================.
| Kriston J. Rehberg                         | "Only Amiga makes it possible" |
`==================================| Once the XBALANCE system has been erased |
                                   `=========================================='

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.010752.12654@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> njg2@po.CWRU.Edu (J. Norell Guttman) writes:
>I need some serious info and hard core facts - yeah I know the
>Motorolla 68040 and TI graphic chips but I want all the specs -
>I am being attacked by SparcStation fiends who taunt us Amiga users.

Goad them back about prices.  Don't let them tell you Sparcstations are
cheap; they're only cheap compared to *real* workstations ;-) , when
configured as a color standalone system they still aren't below $10K.

Ask them about dealerships (Amiga dealers may be scarce, but Sun
dealers are non-existent).  Ask them about software, availability and
prices - especially prices.  Sparc software still seems to be priced for
the Sun 4's.

Don't expect an Amiga to *ever* look as fast and powerful as a Sparc.
But you don't have to pay that kind of price, either.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

griffith@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Michael Griffith) (10/13/90)

a708@mindlink.UUCP (Gord Wait) writes:

>You can purchase a sparc station now (no disk) for about $5 K US
>dollars.. Add to it a SCSI drive for say $2 K and you have a workable sparc for
>$7 K US. This comes with 1152 by 900 70 hz display, full unix etc. I use an

Keep in mind that the diskless Sparc Station has a very slow SCSI port,
because it was never designed for disk action. It was designed as a diskless
workstation in a networking environment. I think the response on a 3000
with the 100 meg Quantum would be much better. The display is comparable to
the 2024 (or does it support color? probably not at that price). I agree that
Commodore's Unix will have to be as competively priced as possible if we are
to see Amigas becoming a standard (or at least semi-popular) workstation
environment.

| Michael Griffith                     | If I had an opinion it certainly   |
| griffith@eecs.ee.pdx.edu             | wouldn't be the same one as        |
| ...!tektronix!psueea!eecs!griffith   | Portland State University anyways. |

Why get a SS1 for $8000+ (with disk) when you can get a NeXTstation for
$5000 ($3500 student discount)? Plus, the NeXT O/S is a whole lot better
integrated than anything I've seen from Sun.

(Sun *had* something better: NeWS. They chickened out, so we have X. Of
 which it has been said "sometimes when you fill a vaccuum, it still sucks)
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

manes@vger.nsu.edu (10/15/90)

In article <3487@mindlink.UUCP>, a708@mindlink.UUCP (Gord Wait) writes:
> You can purchase a sparc station now (no disk) for about $5 K US
> dollars.. Add to it a SCSI drive for say $2 K and you have a workable sparc for
> $7 K US. This comes with 1152 by 900 70 hz display, full unix etc. I use an
> Amiga 1000 at home and a sparcstation 1 at work. They do not compare. The amiga
> is low cost, but can do good (LO-RES) animations etc. Amiga SW is low cost. On
> the Sparc, I can do ASIC chip simulations that require 70 meg virtual memory
> and reasonable speed (ie 12 mips to .1 mip) so I can finish my project this
> decade. When you put a 68040 in a 2500/3000 amiga and add 8 meg ram, hi res
> screen, and add enough stuff to Support Unix, THEN you can compare... but then
> your price on the amiga side is getting awfully close to a sparc.....
> (I like both machines, I just wanted to throw my two bits into the fire...)

Yeah but is AmigaVision out for it?  M1 Tank Platoon?  Jet?  f18?

Grin.  Nevermind.  I know that you will not realize that price is not the
whole banana.

> Gord Wait

 -mark=